Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A small side issue - the ref blowing his whistle in the worst place

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The ref was threatened with a banning order if it blew for full time with all the players close to the tunnel as this would have indicate a pitch invasion was coming and acceptable

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I really don't think the ref had blown for full time, I thought he had given a free-kick, hence being on the wrong side of the pitch - I think he then thought, what the hell this lot aren't leaving, game over. I guess only his match report will tell the full story there.

That is my opinion as I am sure that he would have blown when the ball was down near the halfway liner in front of the dugouts. I believe that he blew when the first supporters got on the pitch as it was so close to time as to not matter.just not the ideal position on the pitch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a shame there's no way of proving what actually happened. :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whatever happened caused confusion to most people who were sitting with us. We thought he'd blown for a free kick or throw in and the pitch invasion was premature. Eventually we realised the game was over but it did deny us a huge burst of final-whistle emotion. Not complaining, just commenting.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Whatever happened caused confusion to most people who were sitting with us. We thought he'd blown for a free kick or throw in and the pitch invasion was premature. Eventually we realised the game was over but it did deny us a huge burst of final-whistle emotion. Not complaining, just commenting.

Yeah we didn't hear it either. But I was half cut.

I really don't think the ref had blown for full time, I thought he had given a free-kick, hence being on the wrong side of the pitch - I think he then thought, what the hell this lot aren't leaving, game over. I guess only his match report will tell the full story there.

This is the thing, it was unclear that's why (as stated on another thread) I was "screaming for a policemen" and waving my arms about like a petrified matador as I expected the game to continue once the initial invasion from the North West had been cleared

EDIT: just seen the above post, so I'll take that as accurate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here