Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A small side issue - the ref blowing his whistle in the worst place

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I thought it was traditional for refs to wait for a goal kick in these situations so he can get as close to the tunnel as possible and so can many of the players, but he did it in the far corner!

Was he not expecting a pitch invasion? Or did he just not care. And did anyone nick his whistle?

ps) who got Dunky's shorts?!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I thought it was traditional for refs to wait for a goal kick in these situations so he can get as close to the tunnel as possible and so can many of the players, but he did it in the far corner!

Was he not expecting a pitch invasion? Or did he just not care. And did anyone nick his whistle?

ps) who got Dunky's shorts?!

I really don't think the ref had blown for full time, I thought he had given a free-kick, hence being on the wrong side of the pitch - I think he then thought, what the hell this lot aren't leaving, game over. I guess only his match report will tell the full story there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really don't think the ref had blown for full time, I thought he had given a free-kick, hence being on the wrong side of the pitch - I think he then thought, what the hell this lot aren't leaving, game over. I guess only his match report will tell the full story there.

I did wonder that as well, it seemed a bit premature, I was expecting another minute or so.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm glad someone has raised this.

From the opposite end of WSU it was almost a surreal end to the match. I think the ref had no intention of ending the game then but just accepted the inevitable when the crowd rushed on from the west end of the North Stand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the Family Stand, staring straight at the ref, he blew the whistle because it was the end of the game.

From that I'd hazard a guess he wasn't expecting an invasion because we weren't promoted!!

Last edited:

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I don't think the ref had blown for full time. There looked like a bit of confusion between the match officials.

Thank you...was thinking it was just me. But delete this thread before the FL order a replay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He definitely blew for full time, the exact time was 16.52 and the three minutes were up.
I was worried some of our players might get injured as they were being picked up and bear hugged before they could escape. At least the Wigan players were allowed to walk off unmolested, unlike our at the Riverside last year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From the Family Stand, staring straight at the ref, he blew the whistle because it was the end of the game.

From that I'd hazard a guess he wasn't expecting an invasion because we weren't promoted!!

To be fair, I don't know that I was expecting that invasion either. I thought most fans might want to wait until after the Brizzle City game, or that stewarding/Police etc. might try to prevent it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here