Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prime Minister to make a statement from Downing Street - GENERAL ELECTION on 8th June

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Was a very quick put together email. However i did think this may have been labour. Knew it wasnt the ****ing Tories that's for sure.

However the EU is the biggest trading block in the world of which 44% of our exports go to... That is crucial info and is FACT.

Ah so your oh so arrogant post is starting to unravel .... would you like me to unpick another of your FACTS ? I ask as there were so many lies in your post.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Ah so your oh so arrogant post is starting to unravel .... would you like me to unpick another of your FACTS ? I ask as there were so many lies in your post.

Yea do it then. Still not addressing my important fact i see or is that a lie?

Arrogant. I simply replied to Triggars points. Don't be a dick mate.

Yea 50 lines of writing and u unravelled one line...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's a lot of mis-informed bullshit in your post but I thought I'd highlight this one. The Blair government brought in the current maternity and paternity leave laws - they were not as a result of EU requirements. So if you want to thank anyone for them then thank Blair ..... the EU had eff all to do with them.

You are right that the Blair labour government introduced many family friendly laws and some of these exceed the EU requirements, which is great. The EU did have a LOT to do with them. The UK's framework for these advances and rights was heavily influenced by the EU's. However, the most pertinent point here is that the EU PROTECTS the basic rights outlined. Nothing stopping any future government after we leave scrapping these protections and workers rights and stripping rights back. And I wouldn't put anything past politicians.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You are right that the Blair labour government introduced many family friendly laws and some of these exceed the EU requirements, which is great. The EU did have a LOT to do with them. The UK's framework for these advances and rights was heavily influenced by the EU's. However, the most pertinent point here is that the EU PROTECTS the basic rights outlined. Nothing stopping any future government after we leave scrapping these protections and workers rights and stripping rights back. And I wouldn't put anything past politicians.

Nothing - other than the electorate of course.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We are being 'consulted' on the 8th June.

At a GE we are consulted as to whether we would like to keep or sling out the party that scrapped a particular set of rights. We are not being consulted on the act of getting rid of the vote. Where was our referendum on replacing the protected Human Rights act with The British Bill of Rights?

Two VERY different concepts indeed.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Fishing law. Setup by the EU to stop the depletion of fish from our seas. FACT: The majority (around 70%) of fishing business is done by Scotland. They had a majority remain vote.

Yea do it then. Still not addressing my important fact i see or is that a lie?

At your request then, the EU did indeed set up the fishing policies to preserve stocks BUT they also did it to share out member territorial waters. Members that had less waters were granted rights to other members waters. Now despite common perception, Spain isn't the biggest fisher, and nor is Scotland as you claim, France is. Followed by the UK. BUT the EU don't break down the figures of the UK haul. Given it covers Cornwall, the English channel and the North Sea ( a majority of which borders Engalnd ) there is no way Scotland catches 70% of the fish. Using EU figures even the UK as a whole doesn't catch 70% of the total haul. Even adding in inshore fishing to Scotland's total won't make them come close to 70% ( and of course inland fishing in Scotland is not available to SPain, France etc ).

As for your important fact ..... what about the other 66% of trade ? That's 20% bigger than our EU trade.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was clear that the majority of lies came from the Brexit camp (350 mill bus) one example however neither side covered themselves in glory.
That's not clear at all. The £350m was simply what we're spending, I'm not sure people really thought that was going to be in our pockets, bearing in mind that the Brexit camp were not the government and so no promises could be made.

Remember that "Britain’s full" ad with a line of what looks like immigrants queuing to get into the UK… that was disgusting.
Yep. Crap like that won't stop me doing my best to vote for what I think is best though.

We need immigrants in our country.
And we will keep getting immigrants. The leave campaign would argue that we just want better control of it. But that's not my argument to make.

The NHS Is one example of this. Less than 3% of EU migrants claim benefits. The rest pay into society. If you are struggling to get a Drs appointment or your kids into a school blame the government and how they spend all our taxes.
None of these points have anything to do with why I voted leave.

I would also like to add we haven't actually left the EU yet. So you cannot prove the war or security issues as untrue. All I do know is a few days of triggering article 50 Michael Howard has already claimed the UK could go to war with Spain over Gibraltar. We have also threatened to remove our Intelligence if we do not get a favourable Brexit negotiations and this was after a few days.
We haven't made that threat at all, we've simply said that we're not going to make unconditional offers without anything in return, and nor should we.
Some Remainers seem happy to criticise our government for not promising to allow EU citizens to stay here regardless, but they're not equally criticising the EU for not making the same offer to UK citizens living in the EU. I'm sure common sense will prevail, but there's no point in making promises now with nothing in return.

Fishing law. Setup by the EU to stop the depletion of fish from our seas.
And they let Spain ignore it. FACT.
How doesn’t the Euro work for all Countries. We don’t even have the Euro?
Because different countries have different economies and need to adjust their currency to meet their needs. Spain, Portugal, Italy and Ireland are all suffering, as well as Greece.

I would like to add none of the above is likely to affect you.
Of course it will. The poor deal we get affects our economy, our debt, our taxes. As EU countries fail, we'd have to pay more to help balance the books.
However leaving IS going to increase your food bills, your gas and electric bills.
On each of those points, why?

I really could go on………..
I didn't ask for you reasons in the first place, so I don't know why you'd want to :shrug:

Exactly the referendum what basically a load of shit. You cannot apply a Boolean answer for Brexit. There should have been more options. I am happy to stick with Brexit but I feel I have a right in what type of Brexit it will be.
I asked you "But how the hell would they do that?"

@Triggar the EU already has us over a barrel. THEY ARE THE ONES DECIDING WHAT TRADE RULE THEY OFFER US NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND and I can promise you it won’t be more favourable than the deal we had being in the EU. We will be made as an example. if we got a better deal having left the EU, they would be jeopardizing the EU
And if we don't do a deal at all, they will be jeopardising the EU. You no doubt made these assertions before the vote - I didn't believe you then and I still don't. Thank god you are not negotiating for us.

If we stick with Brexit.. I’d like it soft :)
Likewise. I think that will be more likely with a large majority for May, as she'll be able to keep the Hard Brexit elements of her party in check. Bear in mind the May also wanted to remain, so she probably wants a Soft Brexit too.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
"Ein volk, ein Eich, ein Fuhrer!" ??

Don't understand what an oak has to do with anything,but how about this?
Volk
volk.jpg
Eich
eich.jpg
Fuhrer
fuhrer.jpg

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Likewise. I think that will be more likely with a large majority for May, as she'll be able to keep the Hard Brexit elements of her party in check. Bear in mind the May also wanted to remain, so she probably wants a Soft Brexit too

If May does win and we continue with Brexit... I agree with your comments here. As you say i hope she will go with Soft Brexit (whatever that really means) as she was a remainer initially.

Friends :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
At your request then, the EU did indeed set up the fishing policies to preserve stocks BUT they also did it to share out member territorial waters. Members that had less waters were granted rights to other members waters. Now despite common perception, Spain isn't the biggest fisher, and nor is Scotland as you claim, France is. Followed by the UK. BUT the EU don't break down the figures of the UK haul. Given it covers Cornwall, the English channel and the North Sea ( a majority of which borders Engalnd ) there is no way Scotland catches 70% of the fish. Using EU figures even the UK as a whole doesn't catch 70% of the total haul. Even adding in inshore fishing to Scotland's total won't make them come close to 70% ( and of course inland fishing in Scotland is not available to SPain, France etc ).

As for your important fact ..... what about the other 66% of trade ? That's 20% bigger than our EU trade.

Naturally you will question my facts if you don't read them properly.

My point was Scotland does the most fishing WITHIN the UK... and yes it is 60% - 70% of this is on our shores and yet the majority votes remain so this fishing EU law doesn't hold.

Yea 44 % exports is within the EU and you are correct that does leave 66% (good Math) however just because we have 66% elsewhere why should we then just disregard the other 44%? Where is the logic in that?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

My point was Scotland does the most fishing WITHIN the UK... and yes it is 60% - 70% of this is on our shores and yet the majority votes remain so this fishing EU law doesn't hold.

Yea 44 % exports is within the EU and you are correct that does leave 66% (good Math) however just because we have 66% elsewhere why should we then just disregard the other 44%? Where is the logic in that?

You seem very concerned about this one poxy fishing rule. Who are you captain Birdseye? This is one of the only EU laws Brexiters can throw about. Let's **** up the economy so we can deplete our seas of fish ffs.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

It's not that I misread your post - you're now qualifying your broad statement and didn't specify you were talking UK only ( despite the conversation being about EU fishing ). Fair enough - Scotland does a good percentage of UK fishing. We're talking about EU policy here that covers ALL 28 ( now nearly 27 members ) and Scotland does a small amount of that total.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You seem very concerned about this one poxy fishing rule. Who are you captain Birdseye? This is one of the only EU laws Brexiters can throw about. Let's **** up the economy so we can deplete our seas of fish ffs.

I was pointing out that most of your rant was factually incorrect - so far two points - happy later to prove other inaccuracies in your post if you like ? If you don't like it then don't keep shouting FACT and coming over all aggressive when people support Brexit.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I was pointing out that most of your rant was factually incorrect - so far two points - happy later to prove other inaccuracies in your post if you like ? If you don't like it then don't keep shouting FACT and coming over all aggressive when people support Brexit.

Hang on you haven't proved anything as incorrect. The paternity and maternity laws were brought in by Labour, however as mentioned by [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] was instigated by EU law. It was down to the EU that this happened.

The fishing law that you believed to be incorrect was because you misinterpreted what i wrote. Triggar and i were talking about how people voted within the UK. Why would i mention fishing in Europe. Triggar mentioned the fishing restrictions and i said over 60% of fishing is done by Scotland (WITHIN THE UK) and yet the majority of Scotland voted remain.

Still waiting for you to prove ANYTHING as incorrect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here