Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prime Minister to make a statement from Downing Street - GENERAL ELECTION on 8th June

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So now we need a thread by [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] predicting an x point lead and win by Labour :lolol:

Politics is the last thing on my mind the moment.

I only opened this thread up because I got an alert that you'd mentioned me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Oh Mrs May Brighton have made it to the Premiership
really I'll put a stop to their gallop
I know I'll call a snap election that will take all the attention off them

WILL IT ****

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you seriously think that Corbyn can turnaround a 20% deficit in the polls?

Of course he can't. The real question is how genuine is that 40+ polling for Tories really is, or how well it translates to seats. Given an awful lot of their members voted for remain, will they necessarily back the government? Will they abstain, vote Liberals​? There's the big risk in this calculation, they won a majority largely due to the Liberals rout. Will 20-30 of those seats swing back on the EU issue alone? The Tories could end up with a minority government, and on recent political strategy I don't think they thought that through.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Of course he can't. The real question is how genuine is that 40+ polling for Tories really is, or how well it translates to seats. Given an awful lot of their members voted for remain, will they necessarily back the government? Will they abstain, vote Liberals​? There's the big risk in this calculation, they won a majority largely due to the Liberals rout. Will 20-30 of those seats swing back on the EU issue alone? The Tories could end up with a minority government, and on recent political strategy I don't think they thought that through.

Thick May calls the election before the boundary rigging takes place

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Wooo Hoooo.!!!!!

That means an evening of streaming the BBC website live coverage to the TV, David Dimbleby, Jeremy Vine and his swingometer, various politicians / political experts airing their views whilst the wife and I feast on an extra large pizza, Cinnaparts® and a couple of bottles of red wine discussing politics. :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Of course he can't. The real question is how genuine is that 40+ polling for Tories really is, or how well it translates to seats. Given an awful lot of their members voted for remain, will they necessarily back the government?

Tory voters are Tory voters, the leave/remain question has been settled and they will sidle up to Theresa May, if only because what is over the other side of the Chamber is potentially the worst Prime Minister in UK History.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
PM Theresa May is moving the motion in the House of Commons to hold a general election on 8th June.

She says this will give MPs a "clear and simple opportunity" to vote for a poll that will provide the leadership the UK needs for Brexit.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The AYES to the right 522, the NOES to the left 13, the AYES have it, the AYES have it.

We are going to have a General Election on 8th June.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Here is the full list of 13 MPs who just voted against the general election:

Dennis Skinner
Ronnie Campbell
Ann Clwyd
Paul Farrelly
Jim Fitzpatrick
Lady Hermon
Clive Lewis
Fiona Mactaggart
Liz McInnes
Alasdair McDonnell
Graham Stringer
Michelle Thomson
Natalie McGarry

This is nonsense, simply because it's not as if Corbyn has ever been clear on where he stands with regards Brexit. I know who I'm voting for, and it's neither party presented in your "binary choice".

I wouldn't expect anything other than for you to waste your vote. Corbyn has always been clear - respect the referendum but no to hard Brexit, it's not that complicated

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't expect anything other than for you to waste your vote. Corbyn has always been clear - respect the referendum but no to hard Brexit, it's not that complicated
We are a parliamentary democracy, and if you can see any issue with "respecting the referendum" at all, then clearly it is not a binary choice along your self appointed lines. I wouldn't expect anything other than this arrogant, pompous drivel from you though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Pathetic by May to avoid TV debates.

Shows utter contempt for the electorate.

Looking forward to the Empty Chair though.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

Disagree that it's pathetic. I honestly don't think TV debates add anything to a party's pre-election campaign. It's like a form of reality TV where people tune in to watch cock-ups and insults being hurled between candidates. Since when has a TV debate offered new insight into part policy or manifesto pledges? These events were only shown from the 2010 election, so the public has had plenty of elections without this sort of grandstanding. May has said she's going door-knocking, I think that's a perfectly sensible move.

Personally - and I don't mean this at you, but I'm aiming this it at the broadcasters and politicians - I think the lust for a TV debate is the really pathetic thing here.

Live television debates offer nothing and are of interest to the media only. The hosts can look smart and guarantee themselves some extra time in front of the camera.

As in the Brexit vote the real debates go on in the town halls and high streets of the country.

Television, the drug of the nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wooo Hoooo.!!!!!

That means an evening of streaming the BBC website live coverage to the TV, David Dimbleby, Jeremy Vine and his swingometer, various politicians / political experts airing their views whilst the wife and I feast on an extra large pizza, Cinnaparts® and a couple of bottles of red wine discussing politics. :thumbsup:

LOVE election night on a Thursday evening / Friday morning. Get a fridge full of beers in and watch events unfold through the night. Can't believe we'll get one so soon again after 2015.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here