Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prime Minister to make a statement from Downing Street - GENERAL ELECTION on 8th June

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I voted Brexit, yet I (choose to) live with two Muslims from the Gulf. It's weird that after so much debate you still don't know why people voted for Brexit.

I did correct it to "most" after being pointed out that it was a sweeping statement.

For what it's worth I have avoided the Brexit thread because it is just people arguing the toss. No one knows the pros and cons of Brexit because it is all hypothetical and basically hot air. It might be great, it might be shit, it might be a pointless waste of time that makes no difference because we still have to abide by the EU when we are dealing with it. Are we suddenly going to buy our meat, dairy products, fruit & Veg from Barbados or Guyana now?

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I did correct it to "most" after being pointed out that it was a sweeping statement.

For what it's worth I have avoided the Brexit thread because it is just people arguing the toss. No one knows the pros and cons of Brexit because it is all hypothetical and basically hot air. It might be great, it might be shit, it might be a pointless waste of time that makes no difference because we still have to abide by the EU when we are dealing with it. Are we suddenly going to buy our meat, dairy products, fruit & Veg from Barbados or Guyana now?

Our bananas can be CURVED

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are we suddenly going to buy our meat, dairy products, fruit & Veg from Barbados or Guyana now?

We already buy plenty of food from non-EU countries - USA, Costa Rica, New Zealand, China - to name a small handful.

To put it into perspective - we produce 50% of our food here in the UK, 25% comes from non-EU countries and 25% from EU countries. Hardly an earth shattering amount from the EU.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We already buy plenty of food from non-EU countries - USA, Costa Rica, New Zealand, China - to name a small handful.

To put it into perspective - we produce 50% of our food here in the UK, 25% comes from non-EU countries and 25% from EU countries. Hardly an earth shattering amount from the EU.

Yes but that 25% won't change because of leaving the EU, and it is clear that we are free to do trade with anyone we want to anyway. I doubt that Brexit will change any of our lives for the good because it will be the same but different. The only thing it will do is consume time with re-negotiating a 40 year old tangled web to something similar to what we have today in all but name. It will fully occupy the next one or two terms of government, but I don't mind this because they will have less time to spend rimming the US, plotting regime change and causing trouble in the Middle East. That is the only Brexit plus for me which I don't mind at all, but my point is Brexit itself is a fallacy.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Greens in Plymouth attempting to do a deal with Labour - they won't stand in one seat if Labour don't stand in another. #Desperate

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well duh. The Tories have the far right UKIP vote so the more split left are appealing for more wins. It's a good idea and worked last year.

It might be a 'Good Idea' for two desperate parties but it's hardly a good idea for democracy. Despite his views on Brexit I think Peter Kyle is a good MP and would consider voting for him Brexit and Corbyn aside. If Labour did a deal in Hove to stand aside for the Greens I really couldn't bring myself to vote for them. If the Greens or Labour want to win the country over then put forward policies from their own parties that will make a 'majority' ( and yes I know it's not a real majority ! ) vote for them. Otherwise just merge the parties and have done with it rather than trying to do dirty deals.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am forever bewildered why people chose to vote for a minority party which has no hope in hell of getting many MPs or having any real say in Westminster other than their own self importance and thus distorting the general picture and then having the balls to complain about the government that is elected.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It might be a 'Good Idea' for two desperate parties but it's hardly a good idea for democracy. Despite his views on Brexit I think Peter Kyle is a good MP and would consider voting for him Brexit and Corbyn aside. If Labour did a deal in Hove to stand aside for the Greens I really couldn't bring myself to vote for them. If the Greens or Labour want to win the country over then put forward policies from their own parties that will make a 'majority' ( and yes I know it's not a real majority ! ) vote for them. Otherwise just merge the parties and have done with it rather than trying to do dirty deals.

Dirty deals have been done amongst other parties too.

Its partially why we got a EU referendum in the first place, you should be thankful of 'dirty deals'.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Is first past the post a good idea for democracy?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Is first past the post a good idea for democracy?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

As a UKIP voter last GE I'm hardly going to say yes am I ? No it's not - PR ( and true PR - not AV ) is the way to go BUT my only niggling doubt about that is that local communities would lose connection with 'their' MP. Nothings perfect but the current system is pretty sewn up by two parties ( one at the moment !!!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here