Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are We There Yet ? Reflections On Wolves Away...

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Thanks, excellent article about a memorable day.

Yes, I too have been thinking about the years. My Dad is now also beyond attending matches - It occurred to me that many of our supporters would not have seen Albion in the top flight or indeed witnessed the lowest points between then and now - I wish for them to have happy times supporting the Albion - they are bound to see relegations and promotions - hopefully nothing more traumatic than that.

These are indeed special times

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Lovely stuff mate. Alas my old man, a lifelong Albion fan, didn't survive long enough to see the Amex built, and this promotion in particular makes me feel a little sad thinking about that fact. I expect to shed a tear tomorrow.......or whenever it happens!

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lovely read, thank you. My 79' year old Dad hasn't been to Albion game for many years. I still clearly remember our day trip by train to Newcastle in May 1979.

As you say, these times should be savoured, they are possibly once in a generation. I loved the 2010/11 ride too, with fantastic attacking play from Murray, Calderon, Bennett & co. Just as then, it's great being able to lap this up during these weeks, with no last day stress. Happy times. :smile:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Lovely read, thank you. My 79' year old Dad hasn't been to Albion game for many years. I still clearly remember our day trip by train to Newcastle in May 1979.

As you say, these times should be savoured, they are possibly once in a generation. I loved the 2010/11 ride too, with fantastic attacking play from Murray, Calderon, Bennett & co. Just as then, it's great being able to lap this up during these weeks, with no last day stress. Happy times. :smile:

Never tire of hearing memories of that day in 1979. I recall little of it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Funnily enough, I dreamt of my Dad last night, the first time in ages.

I still really miss him.
Lots of us thinking about Dads no longer with us-me included, especially as today is my Dad's birthday. He took me to many Albion games when I was 4 or 5 (probably 5) including away days to Portsmouth and Charlton.

Let's do this tomorrow for all those no longer with us who are responsible for us being lifelong Albion fans.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So well written. Poignant.

Jimmy Grimble

Very enjoyable read. Makes me all the more aware of my thoughts tomorrow. Thank you.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Brilliantly written very much in he same vein as reading Fever pitch by Nick Hornsby
Unfortunately my dad passed away midway through last season, he took me to my first game in 75 and hundreds thereafter, had a season ticket at the goldstone withdean & Amex together so going up last season felt to me what Knockhaert is going through this season riding on the emotions of losing someone so close
Last seasons last game defeat (well a draw but it felt like a defeat) hurt like hell as you think he's watching above you and everything's gonna be alright, well 12 months later we're on brink of making it happen, I shed a tear during and after QPR game and at Wolves on Friday, if we win today I'll be in a flood of tears ( very happy tears)
My Dad couldn't make Middlesbrough a IMG_8072.JPGway last season but my son was wearing his grandads shirt with pride the same as he will today standing in the North stand, UP THE ALBION!!!!!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Great piece, and - like others - poignant for me too.

My Dad took me to my first ever game at the Goldstone, 1980 against Liverpool. From then on I only went with friends - he was a Newcastle fan, and having done the father/son rite of passage and taken me to my first game, was content to let me enjoy it on my own thereafter.

We never went to another game together, ever. Though I mentioned it a few times later in life, when I'd done university and so on, he wasn't bothered - by then he was settling into 'the groundhog days' you mention, and the upheaval of actually going to a game seemed too much. He always monitored the results though; every time we spoke on the phone we'd talk about Brighton and Newcastle's fortunes.

Just before the start of this season, he passed away. For the two teams to be promoted together will mean more to me than words can say. It's like he's up there, watching.

(By the way, that is so not Times New Roman in your photograph!)

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Dad only came to the footie with me once, we had to leave at half time as he hated it so much. But Grandpa, took me to Albion, the cricket, fishing, walk then pub. All those things my Dad should have done so I will send up a small prayer to Grandpa today.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Great piece, and - like others - poignant for me too.

My Dad took me to my first ever game at the Goldstone, 1980 against Liverpool. From then on I only went with friends - he was a Newcastle fan, and having done the father/son rite of passage and taken me to my first game, was content to let me enjoy it on my own thereafter.

We never went to another game together, ever. Though I mentioned it a few times later in life, when I'd done university and so on, he wasn't bothered - by then he was settling into 'the groundhog days' you mention, and the upheaval of actually going to a game seemed too much. He always monitored the results though; every time we spoke on the phone we'd talk about Brighton and Newcastle's fortunes.

Just before the start of this season, he passed away. For the two teams to be promoted together will mean more to me than words can say. It's like he's up there, watching.

(By the way, that is so not Times New Roman in your photograph!)

Good to see you read the article through. Is it Arial text maybe ?

brightonbutterfly

Feb 18, 2009
Southwick
Very poignant for me too. My dad was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour 2 days before the opening match at the Amex. He was 63. This longed for awaited moment of being home was torn away. He got to a game, so saw us play but how bittersweet. He lasted 10 short months, dying on the morning the next seasons fixtures came out. Two things for me (apart from the injustice of it all), were the cancer robbing him of his Albion memories - including the trip to Newcastle on the train, which I'd heard about in the past and, that he said it would take 5 years for us to get promoted. Dad, you were right and what we wouldn't give to share today and these next few weeks with you. Thinking of everyone who has lost someone or who isn't able to have a special someone next to them at the Amex today. Yep, the tears are for the struggles (remember the half time feeling at Hereford like it was yesterday ) but also for all those who aren't here to see what pans out in these last few games.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I woke up early this morning and I was thinking of my dad too. He was a lifelong Albion fans and I used to go to home and away games with him, before I started hanging around with my mates. He died 25 years ago but my last, long conversation with him was about the Albion's cup defeat at Bolton.

I remember our excitement in 1979 and our last promotion to the top division and I know how thrilled he'd be now.

There are hundreds of us today who'll have a similar story: we'll all be missing our dads (or who ever took us to our first game) and there'll be moments of sadness amidst the joy.

Beautifully written piece, Brighton Lines, and long may you share your Brighton moments with your dad

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems strange about the no away fans in pubs rule, we were in the Spoons albeit no colours and had no issues at all.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Seems strange about the no away fans in pubs rule, we were in the Spoons albeit no colours and had no issues at all.

I think it was a door staff thing. The Wolves fan I spoke to said in the past he had seen away fans show there colours outside (whilst having a fag) and not be allowed back in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here