Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor Who (May Contain A Spoiler)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What did NSC's fans think of last night's series opener?

I really enjoyed it, and warmed to the new companion as the episode progressed - looking forward to the rest of the series, including the return of John Simm.

On another note, lots of rumours circulating that Capaldi's replacement has been cast and has already started filming, with the regeneration set for the end of this series rather than the Christmas special. Said replacement is apparently Kris Marshall.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've given up. I presume the script writer has been replaced as it has been unwatchable for two series now. And I'm looking forward to Capaldi leaving - he's gash.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I really liked how grounded and personal the first half of the episode was. Just looking at Bill and The Doctor getting to know each other, and allowing the audience to get to know Bill Potts more broadly rather than diving immediately into an adventure. The Doctor's lecture on time was really well done too, very smart. Also one of the most interesting uses of the Daleks we've seen for a while, and I wonder if the fact the conflict he visited was a throw back to a Fourth Doctor adventure will have ramifications for the series going forwards

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Moffat has made Dr Who way too complicated and I can't even remember where we are with the overall continuity now.

Maybe he'll do a better series for his farewell. Episode 1 was pretty decent I reckon, so there's hope. So far, so good.

Certainly looking forward to the next series when the new guy takes over.

It did seem odd that Marshall left halfway through the Death in Paradise series - makes sense if he got called to the Tardis.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was so-so but I'm hoping for an improvement having seen the series trailers. Will be pleased to see a new Doctor but I'm hoping it isn't Marshall as he is an absolute emotional vacuum.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've given up. I presume the script writer has been replaced as it has been unwatchable for two series now. And I'm looking forward to Capaldi leaving - he's gash.

I'd given up. Primarily because my 8 year old wasn't fussed and I couldn't be arsed to explain it to him. That said, I quite enjoyed last night and I didn't find myself explaining a load of old bollox to the kids. It worth a go on iplayer but next week is far from a must watch in our household.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
A decent start to the series and it needs to be as last series was woeful other than the lovely Clara.

Interesting that we have a lesbian companion. Is that a first?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Excellent series opener and Capaldi was superb. Very exciting to see a possible multi-Master story with Simm and Gomez.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't bother haven't watched since I stopped understanding what was going on. Trying to be too clever for its own good.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Finally a 'proper' Dr Who episode last Saturday. It's been a while with Moffat being way too complicated with the show.

Empress of Mars was excellent and back to what I hope we get with the new showrunner next year.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
To me Dr Who was all about the Daleks and the TARDIS and filled the early evening slot on the BBC on a Saturday night in the Sixties.

Can't say I've followed it since nor get the 'popularity' of it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The first five episodes from The Pilot to Oxygen were excellent. True stand alone Dr Who episodes that could send a little chill up your spine and really harked back to their heyday. The next three see Steven Moffat get his mitts on the scripts and are utter rubbish. Moffat is involved in two and the third keeps the frigging monks involved to the point of my utter boredom and switching off before the episode finished. Haven't watched last weeks episode, Empress of Mars, yet but hoping it sees a return to the early series episode quality which was an unexpected revelation after the impenetrable nonsense of the last couple of series. Cannot wait for Moffat to go!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it is Marshall, I think that is a brilliant choice.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The whole series has been very good so far. Last weeks (Empress of Mars) is probably the best of the lot. I'm really please Moffat has dialled back his complicated stories and focused on a simpler format - it's made a real difference.

This series is an excellent way for Capaldi to sign off - he's been an excellent Doctor with real gravitas. Much needed after Smiths interpretation.

Only three episodes left to go, and there's some real twists and turns left. Apparently the season close is one hell of a turn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The whole series has been very good so far. Last weeks (Empress of Mars) is probably the best of the lot. I'm really please Moffat has dialled back his complicated stories and focused on a simpler format - it's made a real difference.

This series is an excellent way for Capaldi to sign off - he's been an excellent Doctor with real gravitas. Much needed after Smiths interpretation.

Only three episodes left to go, and there's some real twists and turns left. Apparently the season close is one hell of a turn.

Me and the missus are avid fans. Can you imagine being tapped on the shoulder, in a bookshop, and asked 'would you like a jelly baby'? That's another story.

We are watching the new series with approval. At the same time we have been running through the rebooted episodes, starting with Ecclestone, in sequence, one episode a day(ish). We love it all. I am posting this simply to disagree with you - Matt Smith was absolutely stunning. For very older readers, Smith has something in the timbre of his voice that has echos of the narrator of Noggin the Nog, so it makes a subliminal connection to the 60s for me. I have some very old Who on DVD and video and frankly a lot of it was very tedious then, with extended static 'action' in the tardis . . . . for those of you who never re-engaged with the rebooted doctor, having been a fan as a kid, with Tom Baker after the football on a Saturday, it is worth a look - just suspend your disbelief and enjoy.

One thing that has annoyed me a bit is that lots of stuff started being left out in terms of narrative; why was Strax in servitude, for example? I very certainly didn't miss the explanation. Also, from Billie Piper onward, the characters referred back to 'adventures' past that were never televised. I find that annoying. Anyway . . . . :bigwave:

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's a rumour that Jason Fleming is the new Dr. Who.

Which could be good.

IMG_2476.JPG

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Me and the missus are avid fans. Can you imagine being tapped on the shoulder, in a bookshop, and asked 'would you like a jelly baby'? That's another story.

We are watching the new series with approval. At the same time we have been running through the rebooted episodes, starting with Ecclestone, in sequence, one episode a day(ish). We love it all. I am posting this simply to disagree with you - Matt Smith was absolutely stunning. For very older readers, Smith has something in the timbre of his voice that has echos of the narrator of Noggin the Nog, so it makes a subliminal connection to the 60s for me. I have some very old Who on DVD and video and frankly a lot of it was very tedious then, with extended static 'action' in the tardis . . . . for those of you who never re-engaged with the rebooted doctor, having been a fan as a kid, with Tom Baker after the football on a Saturday, it is worth a look - just suspend your disbelief and enjoy.

One thing that has annoyed me a bit is that lots of stuff started being left out in terms of narrative; why was Strax in servitude, for example? I very certainly didn't miss the explanation. Also, from Billie Piper onward, the characters referred back to 'adventures' past that were never televised. I find that annoying. Anyway . . . . :bigwave:

Well it's all about opinions isn't it. I'm also a big fan of the classic series too.

I'm not totally knocking Smith, but my favourite doc is Hartnell which is possibly why I prefer Capaldi. I think an older Doctor carries more gravitas. While there were great moments in Smiths tenure, I found his doctor to be a rather poor characteur of Troughton at times with his hands spinning all over the place. Maybe that's a bit harsh. He was a fun Doctor let down by this scripts, but like McCoy I didn't find his darkness believable. Something was.. well.. missing for me. Not the worse by any stretch, but if I have to be honest I thought he's the weakest of the NuWho Doctors.

For me, Capaldi's tenure links far more to the 60's than Smith's. You've got the returning Ice Warriors, Mondasian Cybermen, photo of Susan on his desk etc.. obviously I wasn't born in the 60's so I can't talk from experience :)

As for the characters referring back to 'adventures' past that were never televised - this started way before Billie Piper. Troughton referencing the terrible Zodin to the Brigadier in The Five Doctors etc. I quite like it!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
This started way before Billie Piper. Troughton referencing the terrible Zodin to the Brigadier in The Five Doctors etc. I quite like it!

Thinking about it.. it may have happened in the very first episode in 1963! Susan has knowledge of the French Revolution and says its the Doctor's favourite period.. that is a reference to an offscreen adventure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here