Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor Who (May Contain A Spoiler)

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
A decent start to the series and it needs to be as last series was woeful other than the lovely Clara.

Interesting that we have a lesbian companion. Is that a first?

Yep, it's a first.

Could it be that despite all the speculation on the who the next doctor is, this is their way of writing a Female Doctor into the role, to keep the ongoing attraction/chemistry between Doctor & companion. ( I must confess I have not watched this series yet, so could be missing something else)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Could it be that despite all the speculation on the who the next doctor is, this is their way of writing a Female Doctor into the role, to keep the ongoing attraction/chemistry between Doctor & companion. ( I must confess I have not watched this series yet, so could be missing something else)

I sincerely doubt it. There's enough uproar amongst some corners of Doctor Who fandom at the merest mention of a female Doctor; if they were to be presented with a lesbian Doctor I think they'd riot.

Y'know, if their mums let them out past tea-time.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Moffat has already shown on screen that timelords can regenerate into females, so I think it's inevitable we will get a female Doctor eventually - and why not I say!

Moffat said he didn't cast Capaldi because he was a man, he cast him because he was the best actor for the job. I think it's all down to merit now whereas in the past it would have been unthinkable. A large portion, maybe even a majority of Doctor Who fans would have no issue with a female doctor. That said, the next Doctor has been cast and he is male.

A note on your comment about attraction/chemistry between the Doctor and his companions. This started with Rose and fizzled out slightly as the series rolled by. With Capaldi there's no crush and the series feels a lot more grown up because of it.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Dr Who will go back to basics next year for sure. After Moffat losing viewers it'll be a tried and tested ( younger ) male doctor next, and more fun, less brain-hurting scripts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thinking about it.. it may have happened in the very first episode in 1963! Susan has knowledge of the French Revolution and says its the Doctor's favourite period.. that is a reference to an offscreen adventure.

I salute your knowledge and good judgment :bigwave:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well it's all about opinions isn't it. I'm also a big fan of the classic series too.

I'm not totally knocking Smith, but my favourite doc is Hartnell which is possibly why I prefer Capaldi. I think an older Doctor carries more gravitas. While there were great moments in Smiths tenure, I found his doctor to be a rather poor characteur of Troughton at times with his hands spinning all over the place. Maybe that's a bit harsh. He was a fun Doctor let down by this scripts, but like McCoy I didn't find his darkness believable. Something was.. well.. missing for me. Not the worse by any stretch, but if I have to be honest I thought he's the weakest of the NuWho Doctors.

For me, Capaldi's tenure links far more to the 60's than Smith's. You've got the returning Ice Warriors, Mondasian Cybermen, photo of Susan on his desk etc.. obviously I wasn't born in the 60's so I can't talk from experience :)

As for the characters referring back to 'adventures' past that were never televised - this started way before Billie Piper. Troughton referencing the terrible Zodin to the Brigadier in The Five Doctors etc. I quite like it!

I think Capaldi has been the best of the new Doctors which may be down to the script writers. Before him it was all about running from scene to scene and fast dialog, but he plays it at a much slower pace. He talks half the speed of the others so it's a bit more chilled out. Depending on what era we come from I would put him in the top 5 doctor castings..

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I think Capaldi has been the best of the new Doctors which may be down to the script writers. Before him it was all about running from scene to scene and fast dialog, but he plays it at a much slower pace. He talks half the speed of the others so it's a bit more chilled out. Depending on what era we come from I would put him in the top 5 doctor castings..

Yeah I agree, prefer him to Tennant. Couldn't put him above Troughton or Tom Baker but certainly up there,

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yeah I agree, prefer him to Tennant. Couldn't put him above Troughton or Tom Baker but certainly up there,

I grew up with Pertwee and Baker but I have watched the Hartnell and Troughon repeats and I will remember Capaldi like I do them. What would be good is if they remade the first series of Doctor Who with a Harnell type casting but with the CGI and cinematography we have today, a modern Tardis but set in the 60's.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have really enjoyed this current series, and despite being an annoyance to some, I like story arcs that link episodes together. The vault has been intriguing without overshadowing the 'story of the week'. It could be a very interesting final 3 episodes.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Moffat has already shown on screen that timelords can regenerate into females, so I think it's inevitable we will get a female Doctor eventually - and why not I say!

Moffat said he didn't cast Capaldi because he was a man, he cast him because he was the best actor for the job. I think it's all down to merit now whereas in the past it would have been unthinkable. A large portion, maybe even a majority of Doctor Who fans would have no issue with a female doctor. That said, the next Doctor has been cast and he is male.

A note on your comment about attraction/chemistry between the Doctor and his companions. This started with Rose and fizzled out slightly as the series rolled by. With Capaldi there's no crush and the series feels a lot more grown up because of it.

I think there was still an element of it with Clara & Smith but with Capaldi, I think a crush would of seemed wrong & to me it came across as more a father/daughter relationship.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think there was still an element of it with Clara & Smith but with Capaldi, I think a crush would of seemed wrong & to me it came across as more a father/daughter relationship.

I don't know. I think she would and he knows he shouldn't. The age gap is probably at its limit but the adventure and TARDIS is quite impressive and makes up for it. Peter Stringfellow has had larger age gaps and he is nothing compared to the Doctor.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Sauce?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Oh, I thought this thread hadn't been done this year. Which I could undertand, although this series is a slight improvement on last years. I'd rather have a male Doctor next tbh, probably just because it seems like changing just for the sake of it to me. Also Missy has not been a good experiment :D I guess I would actually not be against a female Doctor if the character was The Doctor who just happened to be female and the scriptwriters didn't feel the need to refer to it every thirty seconds like they did with Bill being a lesbian. Then again, I guess it's good for people in minority groups (OK , women aren't a minority but in this situation) to have someone they can readily identify with. Oh the angst.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Didn't think a huge amount of tonight's episode, but the trailer for next week looks superb. Mondasian Cybermen and...

Give us a kiss.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I'm quite sad Capaldi is going. Such a classic Dr. I hear Pearl Mackie is leaving too. Real shame.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here