Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wingers

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Of course. We'll definitely need signings and discussing who they should be is enjoyable but discussing who gets the chop seems wrong at this particular, magnificent, moment in time. Maybe it's just me.

Not just you...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Of course. We'll definitely need signings and discussing who they should be is enjoyable but discussing who gets the chop seems wrong at this particular, magnificent, moment in time. Maybe it's just me.

Its part of the fun of football, no worse than normal

I can see why it may annoy some, but to me it is just part of the game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Spot on... these threads are really p1ssing me off...

Agreed the only player issues regarding next season should be the contracts for those we want to retain. Can not see why Stockdale would want to go.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Much as we all talk about stuff like that, it seems pretty disrespectful to our current players who've done such a magnificent job for the past 2 years that we've got whole threads writing some of them off. We're not even promoted yet. For what it's worth I think every single player in our squad has earned their chance to prove they can play at Premier League level. Some will prosper, some will take time to adapt, some might fall short. Now is the time to celebrate how well they've done at the level they're at.

No room for sentiment in this industry sadly, and I am sure the recruitment team, of whom I feel we are in safe hands, have been doing exactly this speculating for at least 6 months now. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if 75% of their wish list is already completed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
With the news that Solly is nursing a sore heal, I got to thinking that barring a few exceptional moments, March, Skalak and Murphy have all been far less effective since the turn of the year, and probably would all struggle to get into a Prem match day squad.

Would an upgrade be in order for next season?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Seems odd to say that March has been far less effective since the turn of the year when he only had one start in 2016. How exactly has he been less effective.

And they've all had good games in 2017 and have contributed. Not sure why the need to pick out the wingers. The main issue may be that they get swapped around more than any other position where we are pretty stable

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No room for sentiment in this industry sadly, and I am sure the recruitment team, of whom I feel we are in safe hands, have been doing exactly this speculating for at least 6 months now. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if 75% of their wish list is already completed.

Nobody is saying there is room for sentiment. What people are saying is threads like this should wait until the end of the season. These players have all given everything this season and the least they deserved is fans not deciding which of them to get rid of before we're even promoted.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
There is a substantial budget, within reason, to create a squad to stay up. Club income rising from £25m to £130m per annum. The club won't won't want to replicate the awful toothless M'boro season.

But wasn't there a Boro fan on here saying one of their mistakes this year has been breaking up the spirit of the promotion side by bringing in new and "better" players?

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, but there's a balance to be struck. Look at Burnley, they've added just one or two to what they went up with and their spirit and togetherness is one of the things that keeps them afloat. Wholesale changes wouldn't be the right approach IMO.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Nobody is saying there is room for sentiment. What people are saying is threads like this should wait until the end of the season. These players have all given everything this season and the least they deserved is fans not deciding which of them to get rid of before we're even promoted.
Agreed. It is just ungrateful really.

As it happens, winger recruitment should be low down on the season requirement list anyway as other areas are far more deficient when the loanees and some out of contracts leave.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Very different to fans writing off players here.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Why we worrying about What players to get rid of when this seasons not even finished? I'd enjoy the games that are left this year and remember what a great season it has been.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

True, but conjecture and discussion at any time, will always be part of human nature l'm afraid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

What people are saying is that threads like this are fine. Harmless fun chatting about our near future, without slagging off current players who have got us here and are still doing so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The fans decide nothing. Views will naturally differ, but they are just that, opinions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What rubbish as this type of thread has come ever since NSC started irrespective of the coming season and which division we will be in as it is human nature for the supporters to have opinions and express them with no animosity directed towards the existing players.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
March has done a lot of excellent things since he got back from a year out and I'd be surprised if he isn't in most squads next year. I think the biggest issue with him is that he simply looks better on the right, when he can cut inside as Knockaert does. He becomes a bit too predictable when played wide left, and it tends to lead to our left back overlapping less than if they have an inverted winger ahead of them.

Murphy will struggle next year, I'd imagine. Not because he doesn't have the tools to succeed, as I think he does, but in reality, his performances are quite regularly undermined by a lack of output.

As for Skalak, I think he'll play a lot next year, as he has this year. He's not my type of wide player, and he hasn't been nearly as effective this year, but I'd imagine he'll be used away from home a lot next year.

So it really does depend on what CH wants and whether he decides to change the system to accommodate a different type of wide player.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What rubbish as this type of thread has come ever since NSC started irrespective of the coming season and which division we will be in as it is human nature for the supporters to have opinions and express them with no animosity directed towards the existing players.

Clueless as usual. This thread was started by someone questioning the form of our wingers in the second half of the season and saying their form had got worst in 2017. Considering March hardly played in 2016, it is complete drivel to suggest his form has dropped since the turn of the year.

And if you look at this thread, a number of people are saying similar to me so why pick on my post. Pathetic.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
But wasn't there a Boro fan on here saying one of their mistakes this year has been breaking up the spirit of the promotion side by bringing in new and "better" players?

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, but there's a balance to be struck. Look at Burnley, they've added just one or two to what they went up with and their spirit and togetherness is one of the things that keeps them afloat. Wholesale changes wouldn't be the right approach IMO.

This. Our team is a TEAM. Not a bunch of individuals who happen to work at the same 'factory' with the same shirts on. CH and TB are far more aware of what's gotten us here. All their past recruitment has been with the proviso of finding the 'right' players to fit in the team.

They haven't recruited just anyone in the past when we clearly needed X position.

I expect more of the same at the end of the season. A bit of tweaking here and there but no wholesale changes and a lot of allowing our current squad to improve and develop and to prove themselves at the highest level of their profession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here