Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield four next season

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Assuming Stephens stays who would be our starting Midfield line up next season (assuming 4-4-2).

I'm not sure if our current midfield centre pairings could handle the pace/quality of the prem and feel one classy experienced ball winner will be needed to support Stephens or Kayal (guessing we could only afford £4-8M)

Added to that another pacy winger to help unlock defences.

So I see the line up something similar to the below, any comments?

Knockhaert - Stephens/Kayal - NEW Midfielder - March/NEW winger

I will be mildly surprised if we go into most games with more than one starting winger.
It's a whole different ballgame and whereas in the Championship our central 2 sometimes get outnumbered and occasionally played round, in the Premier League we could routinely be annihilated.
I would imagine we will sacrifice one winger for either a box to box central midfielder or use a deep lying holding player to cover our defence against fast breaks through the middle.
All that matters next season is staying away from the bottom three cpme May.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
I agree, also the teams that do better, only make a few adjustments. We have a good squad and more importantly a togetherness. Just take one look a Akpom, doesn't look interested. I would hate to have half the squad made up with so called marquee players here just for the money.

Completely agree, a few decent signings (2-3 in midfield/up front) will be far better and help maintain our team spirit over whole sale changes aka Palace under Holloway that had too many to even get in the 25 man squad!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Kayal and Stephens please. I'm in the camp that thinks wholesale changes are not what is required. A couple of key quality additions in the fullback and striking positions, bit I firmly believe this seasons squad should be given a crack at the PL.

If Stephens goes, which I think he will, then I'd take that bald guy from Manchester City that is on loan at Huddersfield, or Tom Cairney.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Errr... let's wait until we are promoted shall we!?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Baldock in the Premier League :lolol:

totally uncalled for comment! The guy has a great brain on him and has been very impressive this season. I believe that he has the ability to step up leagues by learning the subtle differences. Oh and he has pace which is always useful...

I think Baldy is a great player and will be a great player in the PL.

WAOOW

TTF

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Once Goldson is fully fit can anyone see a case for Dunk playing as a defensive midfielder in a 4-3-3?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I wouldn't be surprised to see us play 4-5-1 in the PL so I think additional midfielders is vital if we decide to go down that route. I, like others, don't think whole sale changes are needed, but any additions from the following I'd be happy to brought in:
Mooy, Swift, Loftus-Cheek (loan) Cork (if Swansea go down), Sigurdsson (if Swansea go down)

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
I wouldn't be surprised to see us play 4-5-1 in the PL so I think additional midfielders is vital if we decide to go down that route. I, like others, don't think whole sale changes are needed, but any additions from the following I'd be happy to brought in:
Mooy, Swift, Loftus-Cheek (loan) Cork (if Swansea go down), Sigurdsson (if Swansea go down)

Dinner party with Chris Hughton last night and when asked he mentioned liking Swift as a potential for next season

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Dinner party with Chris Hughton last night and when asked he mentioned liking Swift as a potential for next season

Who does swift play for?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Chelsea ? On loan at Reading this season. Their best player.

Ah yes I know he played for England U21's with March.

7 goals in 30 odd apps as well not to be sniffed at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here