Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Snooker Championship...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Of course, it absolutely CAN work without Ronnie, but it's the risk, because as the game stands right now we are looking at snooker taking a hit in popularity equivalent to Top Gear with Evans at the helm. While, like you, I get frustrated by the preferential treatment he receives, I do understand how it happens. Right here, right now, the game needs him, as Mark Selby simply doesn't rack up the viewing figures.

Agree. I do wonder though why he has such a big pull. He is hardly a character. hardly jokes with the crowd.He doesn't even interview well. He's not what i would class as the peoples champion. Is he just liked because of his quality on the table? if the answer is Yes... he is the best and most naturally gifted player however i don't think there is that much difference between him and other top players for him to get such preferential treatment.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Agree. I do wonder though why he has such a big pull. He is hardly a character. hardly jokes with the crowd.He doesn't even interview well. He's not what i would class as the peoples champion. Is he just liked because of his quality on the table? if the answer is Yes... he is the best and most naturally gifted player however i don't think there is that much difference between him and other top players for him to get such preferential treatment.

That's a good point, and one I was thinking about in relation to previous eras just the other day. Has the popularity waned from it's 80's heyday as great dominant players of the game such as Davis and Hendry have gone and a more fluid era of different people winning from one year to another has replaced it - suggesting people like the game to have a clear dominant BEST player in the World. Or does it relate to the end of the Alex Higgins / Jimmy White era? I used to think the former, but now I think it's the latter. But why is that?

Easy to say it's shot making ability, the ability to play shots that no-one else does that gets people out of their seats, but you only have to look at yesterdays match between Ronnie and Murphy where the most amazing Jimmy-esque shot came from Murphy when he used an insane amount of side to come off the top cushion, and come back on itself to knock in the red over the middle pocket. Incredible.

So, if it's not shot-making ability that sets the likes of Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie apart, then it must simply be the unpredictability of their personality that draws people in. Yes, they have to be very gifted players, natural attackers, but what sets them apart is that their lives look like car crashes about to happen, and whether that those three, or George Best, or Paul Gascoigne it somehow endears them to people. I think with Ronnie it's the fact that he combines all of that. He is a car crash waiting to happen, and a huge natural talent, but also he's delivered on that talent over a number of years like none of those other "characters" have done.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
That's a good point, and one I was thinking about in relation to previous eras just the other day. Has the popularity waned from it's 80's heyday as great dominant players of the game such as Davis and Hendry have gone and a more fluid era of different people winning from one year to another has replaced it - suggesting people like the game to have a clear dominant BEST player in the World. Or does it relate to the end of the Alex Higgins / Jimmy White era? I used to think the former, but now I think it's the latter. But why is that?

Easy to say it's shot making ability, the ability to play shots that no-one else does that gets people out of their seats, but you only have to look at yesterdays match between Ronnie and Murphy where the most amazing Jimmy-esque shot came from Murphy when he used an insane amount of side to come off the top cushion, and come back on itself to knock in the red over the middle pocket. Incredible.

So, if it's not shot-making ability that sets the likes of Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie apart, then it must simply be the unpredictability of their personality that draws people in. Yes, they have to be very gifted players, natural attackers, but what sets them apart is that their lives look like car crashes about to happen, and whether that those three, or George Best, or Paul Gascoigne it somehow endears them to people. I think with Ronnie it's the fact that he combines all of that. He is a car crash waiting to happen, and a huge natural talent, but also he's delivered on that talent over a number of years like none of those other "characters" have done.

Great post. I would have to say although snooker was more popular in the 80's/90's era I don't think it was down to the fact that there was one dominant player (Davis/Hendry) they were both disliked. Although I do think that you have hit the nail on the head when you say the renegades, loose cannon types such as Alex Higgins and Ronnie that draw the public in. I still am not sure why the majority of the public go for this type of player. Alex Higgins was a renegade but he seemed to have good heart. O’Sullivan just seems nasty, spiteful and up his own arse.

I personally think the popularity of Snooker waned over the last cpl of decades mainly because of the vast number of channels that we can now choose from. We no longer all just relay on terrestrial TV for entertainment. Then there is the internet and rise of Netflix/box sets etc. It's very rare that a family will all sit together to watch a program live on TV.

1/3 of the population tuned into the 85 final. Those kind of viewing figures in this country won't be seen again. My mum could easily name 3 snooker players from the 80's, she may just about name one nowadays (that one being Ronnie) however the explosion of the game in China recently is probably seeing the largest worldwide figures ever. it won't be long before the Chinese players will be dominating.

I use to spend so much of my childhood at a snooker hall. Really happy memories however they seem to be closing down all over the place. I am amazed that so many kids still play or even find a snooker hall to play at.

Unfortunately with any sport where there is a lot of money, things become serious and the personalities disperse.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Alex Higgins was a renegade but he seemed to have good heart.

Apart from when he threatened to have Dennis Taylor murdered! Oh Alex had his nasty, spiteful side to him, and was so far up his own arse at times that he didn't ever really rate any other player. Jimmy was the exception for me, in that he seemed a genuinely nice fella who was just weak willed and too easily tempted into massive drinking sessions when he would vanish for days on end.

Your tale of snooker halls is sadly very true, and one that saddened me a little while ago. I too used to spend a lot of my formative years between 13-19 in snooker halls of Brighton, and Worthing. marvellous dark, smokey, atmospheric places. Last summer, my son decided he would like to try the game after enjoying pool on holiday, and according to google there were a couple of clubs in our local town and we popped up there on the Saturday. I was truly gutted to find BOTH had since closed down, leaving absolutely nothing except some American Pool club over a shop somewhere. Although we can and will find somewhere, the idea of a club in town, near his school, so he and his mates could pop along for a few hours after school a couple of times a week, just seemed so natural. I was really upset that such an experience wasn't there for him.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Apart from when he threatened to have Dennis Taylor murdered! Oh Alex had his nasty, spiteful side to him, and was so far up his own arse at times that he didn't ever really rate any other player. Jimmy was the exception for me, in that he seemed a genuinely nice fella who was just weak willed and too easily tempted into massive drinking sessions when he would vanish for days on end.

Your tale of snooker halls is sadly very true, and one that saddened me a little while ago. I too used to spend a lot of my formative years between 13-19 in snooker halls of Brighton, and Worthing. marvellous dark, smokey, atmospheric places. Last summer, my son decided he would like to try the game after enjoying pool on holiday, and according to google there were a couple of clubs in our local town and we popped up there on the Saturday. I was truly gutted to find BOTH had since closed down, leaving absolutely nothing except some American Pool club over a shop somewhere. Although we can and will find somewhere, the idea of a club in town, near his school, so he and his mates could pop along for a few hours after school a couple of times a week, just seemed so natural. I was really upset that such an experience wasn't there for him.

True about Higgins. Forgot about that stuff.

I use to spend most my childhood down at the New Central (zans) snooker club in worthing. Loved it. Was a really friendly atmosphere. I went back there a few years ago after over a decade only to see the place turned into a gym. Really sad.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
e.
Quality - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/39660136

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
True about Higgins. Forgot about that stuff.

I use to spend most my childhood down at the New Central (zans) snooker club in worthing. Loved it. Was a really friendly atmosphere. I went back there a few years ago after over a decade only to see the place turned into a gym. Really sad.

That's where I used to mostly play, Zans! I played a lot of clubs in the Brighton League, but it was only ever Zans that I was actually a member of. How long ago? I used to go there with my mate Harvey - who stayed on playing there many years after I moved away - probably between 1986-92.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I use to have the lessons on a sat morning there. I use to play there from about 88-98. I started playing there at 8 so was just a kid.

I use to remember Paul, Jim and Maz who all worked there. So long ago now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maz, that was it. Used to love watching him play on the match table in the middle. REALLY good player.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Of course, it absolutely CAN work without Ronnie, but it's the risk, because as the game stands right now we are looking at snooker taking a hit in popularity equivalent to Top Gear with Evans at the helm. While, like you, I get frustrated by the preferential treatment he receives, I do understand how it happens. Right here, right now, the game needs him, as Mark Selby simply doesn't rack up the viewing figures.

In this country, no. And snooker is unlikely to ever get back to the level of popularity in the UK it had in its heyday. It was a different world back then, no Sky, no Netflix, just 4 terrestrial channels.

Long term though, it will become big in China. Ding Junhui is a massive star over there, quite possibly the most recognised sportsperson in China. There's now a wave of youngsters - Bingtao and Yuelong especially who look like having the potential to get to the very top of the sport and once China has its first world champion, it will take snooker to the next level over there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here