Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Davies on Breakfast

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Said our achievement is more sensational than Leicester winning the league given where we were 20 years ago.
We've come a long way, but I have to disagree with him there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In the Dan Walker / Mike Bushell bit an hour before that, they praised the Albion's board. I assume they mean the varying boards of directors over the last 20 years.
I thought they meant The Big Board?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They all assumed that the small club (just the 28,000 regulars) wouldn't keep up in the top 2. Perhaps being the dark horses to outsiders helped us?
Nah, I think it's playing better football than everyone else that helped.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He was outstanding at the FA during the dark days.

A number of people are ignorantly critical of some at the FA during that time but I can say first hand, where he is concerned, that praise rather than criticism is due. He really wanted the club to survive.

People talk of those that they would love to be at a promotion party. He'd be right up there on my list.
To be fair to the man he was one of the only men at the Sweet F.A. who came out and highlighted why the fans were invading pitches and getting a game abandoned. He had to be diplomatic but he sat down with all the main contagonists to move things on.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I was thinking of Swansea's rise also, except neither of these clubs had quite the winner-takes-all, make or break event like we had at Hereford (I don't recall anyway).

Swansea, Wigan, Hull, Cardiff, Bournemouth have all been right down there and close to the brink, then reached the top flight. Burnley also had a close shave, avoiding relegation to the conference on the last day of the season in late 80s.

What none of those clubs had to contend with was being evicted from their home and at a point where we lower in the league than any time in our history. Doubling that with the Hereford game means that we have recovered more than the others - both league status and regaining a proper home.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Having just watched the clip you can tell that he genuinely meant everything he said there and that we should be held up as an example of what a club on the brink can achieve if the right people and supporters believe passionately about saving their club and then running it properly.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Now we are nearly at the top table the sycophants will all over this club

What's with the "we"?

I know you used to be a Brighton fan but all you ever seem to do recently is take every opportunity to post snide remarks about the club. Now we're on our way you're changing your tune, bit sycophantic like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They all assumed that the small club (just the 28,000 regulars) wouldn't keep up in the top 2. Perhaps being the dark horses to outsiders helped us?

Most people I run into who want to talk football either think we are some div 3 side with a 10K capacity with no roof, or have been following us avidly. Fortunately the latter are the minority. The less people know about us the better, in my book.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I think it's nice when informed commentators have some good words to say about our journey.

I am also weary of all the football know-ers suddenly jumping on our fairytale. F... off and get your own! These sort of fairytales require you to live through some dark, dark moments with some occasional small victories, back and forth, taking one small step at a time.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I was thinking of Swansea's rise also, except neither of these clubs had quite the winner-takes-all, make or break event like we had at Hereford (I don't recall anyway).

Going into the final day of the 2002-03 Division Three campaign, Swansea were in serious danger of being relegated to the Conference (two teams went down) - Division Three April 29 2003

As it transpired, Exeter City won their final fixture meaning that Swansea would have been relegated, if they hadn't themselves beaten Hull City 4-2. So, whilst their last day opponents were not another team in danger of being relegated, they certainly had a make-or-break last day nail-biter [they had lost to Exeter City 1-0 just two games before those final fixtures].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here