Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we rarely score from corners?

No way am I moaning after what has been a fantastic season and will get even better, but I believe we have only scored from a corner 4 times this season?

OK we haven't needed to as we've scored plenty from open play but with some great crossers and the likes of Dunk and Duffy when he was playing I'm surprised we haven't scored more.

Hopefully next season when we (probably) won't score as many from open play

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
murray v Wednesday ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I found the text from the book The Numbers Game and my memory was correct

How does that translate into real terms? When we combine the odds of corners generating a shot on goal plus the odds that these shots will find the back of the net, our data show that the average corner is worth about 0.022 goals, or –more simply –that the average Premier League team scores a goal from a corner once every ten games.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most teams don't score that many corners, they just aren't as productive as is made out.

Agree with this. I've watched teams packed with giants unable to score from corners against us this season, despite countless attempts and it being their strength. Recent examples Blackburn and Wolves.

Defences are packed, goalies have the advantage of extra height in effect from use of their hands and refs protect goalies.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
These days it seems almost as common to see teams score when they break away from defending a corner. Would be interesting to know what the stats are for that.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
3% of goals are scored from corners I believe.

How does that translate into real terms? When we combine the odds of corners generating a shot on goal plus the odds that these shots will find the back of the net, our data show that the average corner is worth about 0.022 goals, or –more simply –that the average Premier League team scores a goal from a corner once every ten games.

So we should have scored somewhere between 2 and 4.....we've scored 4. Cool.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our corners are not usually the best as they are in most cases either too long or near the keeper. IMHO we do not put enough on the penalty spot for Murray etc to attack irrespective of who takes them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
These days it seems almost as common to see teams score when they break away from defending a corner. Would be interesting to know what the stats are for that.

Your post actually answered the original question in the opening post.

We don't commit enough men in the box. We actually have men covering breakaways. - Just watch when Murphy is playing. At Motherwell he used to get a fair few goals from loose balls dropping in the box at corners.

Here at Brighton, Chris uses him as one of our recovery players, sitting on the edge of the box or thereabouts and he usually has a man to mark if they break quickly because Murphy himself is quick so his job is to slow down quick breakaways when we have a corner.

Another reason for not scoring from corners this season is that for some reason Lewis has been attacking the front post. Last year he got a bit of joy from coming round to the back post which he hasn't done so much. Maybe because we do it differently by having Murray in their as well so Lewis is given a different zone to attack when they are in training.

biddles911

May 12, 2014

So that means, I think, that you need to take approximately 40 corners to get one goal, implying that there are 4 corners per team per game to equate to a goal every ten games.

Doesn't sound much and, if we're about average per the stats, how come we're at the bottom of the Championship league table for corners?

I think my surprise is because our delivery is so much better this season and we often connect but rarely seem to hit the target let alone score.

Early last season most of our corners were woeful and usually sailed past everyone but with Knocky and Skalak now our delivery is usually on the money, though Knocky has a habit of knocking it out of play before it even gets to the penalty area due to his rather extreme angle of run up.

Hardly a major concern, given our goal haul from other areas, but one to work on in the Premier League?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our corners are not usually the best as they are in most cases either too long or near the keeper. IMHO we do not put enough on the penalty spot for Murray etc to attack irrespective of who takes them.

Disagree - they're deliberately long. Normal form is to hit it to Dunk at the back post for a nod back. We're no worse than any other team I doubt - quite rare to see a goal scored from a corner nowadays (not sure why we all get so excited when we get one).

How many have we conceded from corners ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
So that means, I think, that you need to take approximately 40 corners to get one goal, implying that there are 4 corners per team per game to equate to a goal every ten games.

Doesn't sound much and, if we're about average per the stats, how come we're at the bottom of the Championship league table for corners?

I think my surprise is because our delivery is so much better this season and we often connect but rarely seem to hit the target let alone score.

Early last season most of our corners were woeful and usually sailed past everyone but with Knocky and Skalak now our delivery is usually on the money, though Knocky has a habit of knocking it out of play before it even gets to the penalty area due to his rather extreme angle of run up.

Hardly a major concern, given our goal haul from other areas, but one to work on in the Premier League?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a bit more complicated than that as the book details the number of corners taken and number that result in shots on goal and number of those that go in the goal. So it's not 4 corners per game but the calculation actually boils down to 1 goal from a corner every 10 games :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here