Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the papers say

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
BBC Breakfast just had a live interview with Adam Virgo, telling the history of 20 years ago, and soon to be return to the top league since 83.

On Radio Five Live yesterday he talked about the disappointment of last season and losing at Middlesborough on the last day.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
This is excellent. Can you please do this every week. I don't have to get up then to go buy a paper.

Curiously, the paper article is not quite same as online, as follows (including the fascinating fact that CH was a trainee lift engineer):

In the 1970s, before he turned professional with Tottenham Hotspur, Chris Hughton completed a four-year apprenticeship as a lift and escalator engineer. On the evidence of this season, the Brighton & Hove Albion manager has not lost his talent for getting things moving smoothly in an upward direction.

Brighton are now only three points away from effectively securing promotion to the Premier League — one more win at home to Wigan Athletic on Monday and only a wildly implausible goal-difference swing can deny them top-flight status next season. Under Hughton’s calm, underrated management, they have flourished this season, and this impressive win typified the qualities of his blueprint: professional, progressive, tactically sound and technically accomplished football, with a side helping of defensive grit.

Barring disaster, they will be the 48th club to play Premier League football. The Eagles, the Canaries and the Bluebirds have all previously made it to the promised land; now it is surely time for the Seagulls to fly the Championship nest.

This was their 11th away win of the season, a key area of improvement on last season’s near-miss campaign that has buttressed their push for automatic promotion. “We more or less reached all our targets last year, but we drew a lot of games away from home,” said Hughton, who also took Newcastle United up seven years ago. “That has changed, and that’s been a big difference to where we are now.”

Huddersfield Town’s dramatic late win over Preston North End before this game meant that the champagne was on ice, but Brighton still began with plenty of fizz. After 15 minutes, they broke quickly and Dale Stephens, running at the heart of an undermanned defence, fed Anthony Knockaert to his right. He slid in Tomer Hemed, whose first-time shot glanced off the crossbar.

Wolverhampton Wanderers, in a no-man’s land between the battle for the play-offs and the relegation quicksand, also created chances in a hectic opening. A wicked cross from Conor Coady whistled tantalisingly past the forehead of Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, before Andi Weimann snatched at a presentable chance on the edge of the area.

But it was Brighton who began to dominate proceedings, with Hemed’s rugged physicality creating an uncomfortable match-up for Danny Batth and Kortney Hause, the Wolves centre backs. He prodded over Bruno’s cross under pressure from Hause, then escaped his man to bullet a header goalwards from Knockaert’s gorgeous inswinging free kick, forcing Andy Lonergan into a fine save.

Their pressure was rewarded in the final minute of the first half. Hause was caught underneath the bounce of David Stockdale’s clearance, letting in Knockaert, who hared away, cut back inside the defender and arrowed a drive into the bottom corner. It was a moment of class from the newly crowned Championship player of the season, although not one to delight Aidy Boothroyd, the England Under-21 manager, who counts Hause as one of the mainstays of his squad.

Brighton continued to play with zest and precision after the interval but were having to weather some pressure from Wolves, with Stockdale saving Coady’s header with a strong right hand, but when Paul Lambert’s side overcommitted in search of an equaliser, they were almost punished. Stephens led a dangerous break of five Brighton players, but Coady got across valiantly to block Solly March’s cross.

With the finish line in sight, Brighton suffered a few twitchy moments. Ben Marshall came closest for Wolves, first testing Stockdale and then bringing an ever better save out of the Brighton goalkeeper with a drive that needed an acrobatic two-hander to keep it out.

Brighton’s quality eventually had the final say, however. Knockaert, frozen out by Nigel Pearson at Leicester City but flourishing under Hughton’s more measured, cerebral style, raced on to Glenn Murray’s clever header and beat Lonergan.

“It’s a big Monday, a very big Monday,” the Brighton manager said. Hughton is heading for the top floor once again.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
My brother in law was a photographer at the match and got this beauty. Shame it didn't make the papers. Thought I'd share anyway. IMG_4860.JPG

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Let's be honest, none of them are a patch on our own HB&B are they? :dunce:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
My Guardian article is subtly different - and virtually word for word the same as the Daily Mail - by the same journalist. I'm struggling to see how the Guardian and Mail have the same football correspondent, when their papers are so differently aligned. You'd think they'd refuse to work with/for each other.

Very few journalists work for a newspaper nowadays. Most are freelance and must just work for whoever will pay the bills.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Great articles and thanks for sharing. How come no one had the back page of The Sun? Bet the headline was "Knockers bags great pair"!!!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

So now all these other massive clubs have realised we're actually on the brink, the tone has changed from, "they'll bottle it" to "they won't handle it in the PL".
That one inbred who said that CH couldn't handle it at Newcastle; well that statement alone shows his ignorance. I would absolutely be over the friggin moon if we did up there, just for Chris.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So now all these other massive clubs have realised we're actually on the brink, the tone has changed from, "they'll bottle it" to "they won't handle it in the PL".
That one inbred who said that CH couldn't handle it at Newcastle; well that statement alone shows his ignorance. I would absolutely be over the friggin moon if we did up there, just for Chris.

I won't show you the link to the Sunderland one then ;-)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My Guardian article is subtly different - and virtually word for word the same as the Daily Mail - by the same journalist. I'm struggling to see how the Guardian and Mail have the same football correspondent, when their papers are so differently aligned. You'd think they'd refuse to work with/for each other.

Pete Lansley is a former colleague of mine at The Times who was made redundant (leaving them with no permanent Midlands-based football man) and now lectures at Derby university and does match reports at weekends - and that's very much the pattern these days. Jon Culley freelances for The Torygraph and what's left of the Indy.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Pete Lansley is a former colleague of mine at The Times who was made redundant (leaving them with no permanent Midlands-based football man) and now lectures at Derby university and does match reports at weekends - and that's very much the pattern these days. Jon Culley freelances for The Torygraph and what's left of the Indy.

Thanks - that's interesting in itself. And a sorry sign of the times really, when the best papers don't even have enough football correspondents to cover what they used to.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thanks - that's interesting in itself. And a sorry sign of the times really, when the best papers don't even have enough football correspondents to cover what they used to.
The football correspondents have fallen foul of the general fall in numbers of paper sales.
Due to in part, in my opinion, the vitriolic and untrustworthyness of years of printed media domination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here