Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield to catch Newcastle

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Could happen, although still a long shot.

Sat :
Huddersfield v Fulham

Mon :
Newcastle v Preston

Tues :
Wolves v Huddersfield

Could be all square at that point, going into the final 2 games.

Nervous Spanish waiter ?

IF Huddersfield won both and Newcastle lost to Preston, they'd still be 1 point (effectively 2) behind them.

That late Derby goal has saved Newcastle's top 2 finish IMO.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But we don't want Hudds to catch Newcastle do we? As someone else said, an awayday in Newcastle is so much better than Huddersfield. Plus, personally I want Fulham to win the playoffs, so want them to beat Hudds at the weekend. And I have a slightly irrational loathing of Wagner....

Huddersfield is one of my all time favourite away days. Fantastic for pubs and big noisy away end.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That said, I honestly believe Newcastle are no more likely to stay up than Huddersfield should both go up.

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think Newcastle have ever gone straight back down after a promotion in their history? Their recent cycle is go down, rebuild, go up, get momentum and feel good factor, spend money on some quality players, do well for a while, start sacking managers, selling players without replacing.

i.e. they won the Championship with 102 pts in 2010. Their next PL finishes were 12th, 5th, before the slide started to 16th, 10th, 15th, relegation.

They've been out of the top flight for just 5 years of the last 30 years. I think there is every likelihood there is more chance of them staying up than Huddersfield (or dare I say it, us even...).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
IF Huddersfield won both and Newcastle lost to Preston, they'd still be 1 point (effectively 2) behind them.

That late Derby goal has saved Newcastle's top 2 finish IMO.
Oh yes, you are right. I forgot Derby equalised :facepalm:

Still, it's not over yet, and if those games go Huddersfield's way it could be a tight finish.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
This "great away day" argument is a poor one - it will affect about 1,000 of us, 1,500 tops and probably about 700 if we end up playing them on a Monday night. That said, I honestly believe Newcastle are no more likely to stay up than Huddersfield should both go up. Of course Newcastle are a bigger club, but f*king things up is in their DNA.

And as for who finishes second, I just think it would be HILARIO if they Huddersfield in. I don't really have anything against Wagner but I do remember that Newcastle muppet who wrote that open letter on Twitter "apologising" for being too good for the rest of the league. Here it is:

http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/11/ope...-not-rubbish-newcastle-fans-newcastle-united/

No apology needed. Not to us anyway, and hopefully not to Huddersfield either. :thumbsup:

Sort of somehow sums up their arogance in a article I assume is trying to be witty - big club mentallity without the sucess

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well done to Newcastle.

Tonight Huddersfield have their infamous game in hand which had been a lingering worry for an eternity. Now I couldn't care less about it :rock:

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Well done to Newcastle.

Tonight Huddersfield have their infamous game in hand which had been a lingering worry for an eternity. Now I couldn't care less about it :rock:

Am I right in thinking that this was postponed due to Hudds' FA cup run? If they'd played it a month earlier they could have put a lot more pressure on us and NUFC....thankfully we lost to Lincoln!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Why's that?

Just interactions I had with some of the fans at the start of the season saying they'd walk the league and have it sown up by March.

It only took them ONE set of fixtures more than us :shrug:

Yep but I honestly never expected us to be at the top end of the table, let alone having the chance to win it. That we did it before them makes it even funnier for me.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Just interactions I had with some of the fans at the start of the season saying they'd walk the league and have it sown up by March.

Yep but I honestly never expected us to be at the top end of the table, let alone having the chance to win it. That we did it before them makes it even funnier for me.

Why does our success impact yours, when yours is likely to outshine ours? It's like Usain Bolt being happy that Justin Gatlin finished 2nd outside his PB, rather than being happy he won the Gold.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It doesn't feel like it due to the tension, but haven't both sides 'walked' to promotion with 3 games to spare? That is how history will look at it I think. The gap between 2nd and 3rd will be what people remember.

Newcastle have a huge fanbase, of course there will be fans saying all sorts of things, I spoke to loads who said they'd mess it up because that is what they do. :shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Why does our success impact yours, when yours is likely to outshine ours? It's like Usain Bolt being happy that Justin Gatlin finished 2nd outside his PB, rather than being happy he won the Gold.

Of course it doesn't. It's just something I've found funny over the course of the season. Much like the utter hilarity of Leeds fans chanting that we'd f**k it up only to then find themselves in 7th.

It's not intended as a dig, just something that tickled me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here