Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield to catch Newcastle

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
After tonight's game they're only 8pts behind with a game in hand.
Win that to be 5pts behind.
Newcastle lose to Ipswich away on Monday and Huddersfield beat derby.
Only 2pts behind.

Now wouldn't that be funny

No thanks. Would absolutely prefer Huddersfield to get battered.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Huddersfield have a tough choice to make, stick with a play off place and start to manage players so that they are fit for the playoffs. If they push all the way and like us last year miss out on the last day of the season that will have an effect, and they will carry that into the playoffs and maybe with tired and injured players.

I feel for them. Can't think what it must be like to be in that position.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I just want a P next to our name the quickest way for that to happen is for Huddersfield to drop points.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Huddersfield for me and Newcastle missing out in the play off's, just to prove that huge parachute payments is not a guarantee of an immediate Premier League return.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't get the hatred for Newcastle. Have a look at the table. The two of us are miles ahead in points, wins & goal difference. We're the two best teams in the division & deserve to go up, simple as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Huddersfield for me and Newcastle missing out in the play off's, just to prove that huge parachute payments is not a guarantee of an immediate Premier League return.

Read Rafa's point in the Guardian article on another thread. It is exceptional for relegated teams to bounce straight back in spite of parachute payments. The best chance is for teams like Burnley (and possibly Boro next season) who don't splash huge amounts of cash to stay up, so they have the payers and infrastructure that is accustomed to achieving in the Championship and can use the PP for a couple of signal acquisitions (Gray was a great signing for Burnley last season, affordable because of their PP). At the risk of oversimplifying, there is a dilemma between ballsing out to stay up and risk losing your way if you do get relegated, and doing not enough so relegation becomes inevitable.

I am sure TB will have his stattos examining how Watford & Bournemouth (for example) got it right, whereas Cardiff, QPR & Boro (for example) didn't.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Don't get the hatred for Newcastle. Have a look at the table. The two of us are miles ahead in points, wins & goal difference. We're the two best teams in the division & deserve to go up, simple as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right but there is a sense of mischief that Toon left in Championship at the expense of Reading or Udders would be far more likely to see one of the three relegation places filled....But I have nothing against their support; it is outstanding.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You're right but there is a sense of mischief that Toon left in Championship at the expense of Reading or Udders would be far more likely to see one of the three relegation places filled....But I have nothing against their support; it is outstanding.

Careful what you wish for. Boro went up automatically and Hull through the playoffs. Hull have the better chance of survival. Be nice to people on the way up as you may pass them on the way down. I don't like the playoffs, I think the top 3 should go up as they have worked hard all season to get there. I remember the pain last season of being easily the joint best second team and not even making the play off final. I would like to see both Huddersfield and Newcastle go up.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Careful what you wish for. Boro went up automatically and Hull through the playoffs. Hull have the better chance of survival. Be nice to people on the way up as you may pass them on the way down. I don't like the playoffs, I think the top 3 should go up as they have worked hard all season to get there. I remember the pain last season of being easily the joint best second team and not even making the play off final. I would like to see both Huddersfield and Newcastle go up.

No, I'm there and never slag off other teams and supporters. It is just this sense of wondering from a safe distance what Championship will be like with all three NE teams in it next season and being slightly smug that we dont have to compete. Silly really....WE LOVE YOU TOON!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
don't get me wrong I'd love to see the Goon, sorry Toon, miss out on promo, it would be wonderful, however if Hudds lose that's us up and that's more important as far as i'm concerned
We play before Huddersfield - if (big if still) we win, then we are up. Not mathematically I know, but for the sake of which teams we can cheer on, we're up.

So if we win and Newcastle lose (we're well into fantasy land here), I can go with supporting Huddersfield against Derby. Huddersfield aren't going to catch up 32 GD in 5 games (while we play 3).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hope Leeds don't go up as I wouldn't mind signing that janssen and maybe wood too that won't happen with them up

Jansson is overrated because he plays for The Leeds United. If he was Reading's centre half, or Huddersfield's, or even (say) Derby's, people wouldn't be talking about him like they are. Has no pace and has been caught out in a number of games (and also dropped by their manager). Give me Dunk, Duffy and Hünemeier and I'm very happy.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Jansson is overrated because he plays for The Leeds United. If he was Reading's centre half, or Huddersfield's, or even (say) Derby's, people wouldn't be talking about him like they are. Has no pace and has been caught out in a number of games (and also dropped by their manager). Give me Dunk, Duffy and Hünemeier and I'm very happy.

I'm only thinking that he'll be a decent rotation and won't cost the earth

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Led to believe Jansson is something of a cult hero up there by my Leeds supporting friends rather than an especially talented footballer

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Led to believe Jansson is something of a cult hero up there by my Leeds supporting friends rather than an especially talented footballer

Agreed- his poor defending was the reason they lost at Huddersfield in the dying seconds. They've had some really crap centre halves in recent seasons so they've leapt upon the first half decent one who comes into their side and treated him like the messiah. He's OK, but not nearly as good as they think he is.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I'm only thinking that he'll be a decent rotation and won't cost the earth

He's still officially signed to Torino at the moment and is on loan to Dirty until end of season. 3 year permanent deal has already been agreed though and set to go through at season end, so effectively there's very little chance of him being elsewhere next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here