Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Glenn Murray go down in history as a legend in the same way as Bobby Zamora IF we are

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Certainly will go down as a legend. Fired us to the promised land when, financially it was essential

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

When was that?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Murray is a legend. It's not his fault that he was sold to that lot up the road when he wanted to stay. Imo we'd already be in the premier league if he had stayed.

He wasn't sold, he was given to them, f.o.c.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes for me too.

There is no way we would be where we are without him. And he's stayed fit at a time when our striking options haven't been plentiful.

He played 3 games in 7 days last week and scored in all of them -pretty good for a 33 year old at the end of a long season.

If he's injured at any time this season I don't think we'd have done it. Hemed is good but not in the same class, Baldock injury prone and Akpom rubbish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bit like last season with Bobby...

..wot who said that...

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Murray is a legend. It's not his fault that he was sold to that lot up the road when he wanted to stay. Imo we'd already be in the premier league if he had stayed.

Is the correct answer. They are equal in my eyes,both gods. We must remember that we lost Glenn to that other lot because of Poyet, NOT because he wanted to go.He has always been respectful of us when he's scored against us and, god knows, he's done that a fair few times. If I knew how to do a poll,which I don't, I'd wager the result to be 50/50.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Does anyone have the power to give Glenn & Bobby's wiki page a bit of a Brighton update? Get rid of those horrid photos!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is the correct answer. They are equal in my eyes,both gods. We must remember that we lost Glenn to that other lot because of Poyet, NOT because he wanted to go.He has always been respectful of us when he's scored against us and, god knows, he's done that a fair few times. If I knew how to do a poll,which I don't, I'd wager the result to be 50/50.

The trouble for Murray, is that he split our supporters opinions, even from early times. There is still probably a bit of a hangover from then. Zamora was idolised by pretty much all of us at a time when we were desperate for a real hero. I will always have special affection for Bobby for this reason, but as a footballer, I love Murray just as much. We are extremely lucky to have him.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yes, of course.

Ranking legends is not needed. Once over the line, that's enough, they have that status. He has been as important as anyone since he's been back but let's face it his goals have been excellent as well as vital. We've had the full range from the laugh at the Norwich 'keeper opener to the drama of that Birmingham away one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A yes from me too.

I do think Bobby struck an emotional chord with the fans in a way that Glenn may not, but for me Murray is a not only a legend but one of the most dependable strikers I've ever seen. I was over the moon when he re-signed for the club, he was the missing the piece of the jigsaw for me. A top, top player indeed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Muzza will reach true legend status if our promotion is confirmed...

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Glenn and Bobby are standing at opposite ends of a bar. You only have time to buy one of them a beer and have a quick chat. Leaving aside your desire to get Glenn's perspective on his departure under Gus (which, imo, doesn't factor into legend status), who do you choose to buy a beer?

For me, that'd be Bobby.

Glenn's a legend, for sure, but not yet quite equal to Bobby. Score a hatful next season, that changes.

....is probably the correct answer.

Bobby was a goal scoring machine in his main spell with us. Overall, including the season in the championship he got a goal every 1.7 games. Glenn got a lot of goals in the L1 championship season but had some less prolific periods. Overall he scored every 2.2 games without coming up against Championship defences. Admittedly, some of BZ's goals were in L2.

BZ has played most of his career in the Prem and has also played for England. Glenn has mainly been L1 and the Championship.

As players, BZ slightly has the edge, but Glenn has developed as a player in his latter years. He also comes across as a happier, more relaxed personality than he was in his first spell. He's been a wonderful acquisition for us and may yet hit even greater heights with us. In summary, both Albion 'greats', but BZ still has the edge.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
legend, yes. not in the same way, story will always be tarnished, not just the journey north but also the behaviour around previous contracts and his "style" wasnt everyones taste.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Of course, his goals has probably clinched the promotion we have all dreamed of. For me everyone involved in this seasons possible achievement will always be legends in my eyes.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Legend twice - fired us into the Champ in time for the Amex - and came back to take us to the next level. No other player has had such a profound effect over the last few years.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think it should be put on record that he wanted 10k a week Poyet didn't think he was worth that so he left.We then signed CMS on 20k a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMS was not on £20k a week, we didn't want to break our wage structure and only offered Glenn £10k a week. I believe the club were correct in having a limit in what we paid players to ensure we didn't have spiralling costs and end up in administration. However I am also gutted that Murray didn't stay

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
For lots of reasons, he will not be as fondly remembered as Bobby by many.
He may prove to be our most successful striker ever, but there is more to being a legend than that I think, you have to make the fans feel like you care for the club. I get that from Hemed far more than Murray, and I would rather buy Gary Hart a pint and have a chat than Murray

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here