Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Glenn Murray go down in history as a legend in the same way as Bobby Zamora IF we are

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
He should! And like he said in recent interview he didn't just come back for convienience sake! He saw what we had and he felt that these players would be people that would compliment his game! He plied his trade with the Caravans, so what! We have reaped the benefits of his experience there!
Calderon and Bruno are also being touted as Legends of our club and perhaps rightly so but Glenn is also IMO!
Bloom should be given the Status before anyone and although Barber is not everyone's cup of tea he Certainly knows his onions and without him could Tony have done such a good job???

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I think it should be put on record that he wanted 10k a week Poyet didn't think he was worth that so he left.We then signed CMS on 20k a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from the fact that CMS was only on £12k you're right.

Poyet and his my way or the highway mantra really did turn something magical sour overnight for me.

As to the OP YES definitely. Given the respective INITIAL transfer fees for Zamora and him (£100k v £325k) I would say they're on a par for VFM.

If anyone can be bothered for next seasonI'd definitely buy a t shirt with Glen's mug and the phrase 'Languidly clinical' beneath it.

With a fair wind he'll score 10-15 next season too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Legend twice - fired us into the Champ in time for the Amex - and came back to take us to the next level. No other player has had such a profound effect over the last few years.

Well said, he has stamped his place in Albion history big time and at a higher level than Bobby did.

I should add Murray never rubbed it in when he scored for the jesters against us, yet some of our fans were less than classy towards him when he suffered a major injury whilst at Palace

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I do think Bobby struck an emotional chord with the fans in a way that Glenn may not...........

I think that's the crux of the matter. Football wise they've both been excellent - but Bobby burst on the scene and started scoring goals for fun at a time when the club desperately needed a lift. Glenn wasn't so much an instant hit, if I remember rightly - it took him a bit of time to settle before his superb season which fired us into The Championship.
No disrespect to Glenn - but when conferring legend status, I think emotions come into it as well as just football ability.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Yes. Both legends.

Bobby gave us hope when there wasn't much to be found and almost completed the perfect swan song last season, but was all but spent.

Muzza will propel us forward, i've enjoyed his calm and grounded demeanour this season… with occasional fist pumping, shirt grabbing and full length of pitch running. I feel the combination of experience we have in the side has gotten us over the line in so many games.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I always loved Murray and found it impossible to dislike him even when he played for them up the road. In the early days it used to make me sad that he clearly wasn't very happy at the club. I still sometimes can't believe he's actually with us again.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He's certainly earned his place in Albion history so I guess, yes, legendary status is his.

For me though, he'll never match the status of Bobby simply because Zamora is the all time greatest. Lawrenson and Ward might have been better players(I don't know I never saw them play) but no one in this club's history has had the impact that Bobby did.

It's not just Bobby's goals - although I believe he is the only player in the club's history to break the 30 goal a season barrier twice(and in back to back seasons) - or the simple matter of back to back promotions and titles (a feat that has only been done by 6 or 7 clubs) but what he, and that team, meant to the club, the town and the county.

There's no denying that the decade between the final whistle at the 91 play off final and the final whistle at Home Park 2001 was the absolute worst in the clubs history, one that saw it dragged to the precipice of oblivion as it plummeted through the leagues, faced winding up orders, two years of open warfare, two consecutive years of finishing 91st in the football league, two years with no home, playing 'home' games not just in another town but another county and when we finally did return to Brighton it was to a converted athletics stadium(where I'd done my school and cubs sports days...).

The club had been brought to its knees and dragged through the mud, gravel and rocks, bloodied and near fatally broken. It was a club that was in desperate need of something to smile about, something to shout about, something that would allow us to walk with our heads held high again.

And we got it with Micky Adams and his team that smashed the fourth division and then the following year, the third division. For the first time in a decade we had something to believe in, something to support on the pitch, somethin to be proud of. It made us football fans again.

The figure head of that team, the clubs talisman was Bobby Zamora. And that's why Murray, legend that he may now be himself, or anyone else in my opinion, will never come close to Bobby Z.*

*with the exception of Dick Knight and Tony Bloom, obviously.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think it should be put on record that he wanted 10k a week Poyet didn't think he was worth that so he left.We then signed CMS on 20k a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe he wanted £9k which was a couple short of what Palace offered him. The club had offered £7.5k and Bloom asked Gus if we should go up to £9k and Poyet said no, let him go.

No problem with him being an Albion Legend.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe they gave equally to the Albion at their respective time but the big thing in BZ favour was that he went on to bigger and better clubs before coming back but when he did so, he was not the player he was. GM has lost none of his ability so to me he is the legend.

Glenn and Bobby are standing at opposite ends of a bar. You only have time to buy one of them a beer and have a quick chat. Leaving aside your desire to get Glenn's perspective on his departure under Gus (which, imo, doesn't factor into legend status), who do you choose to buy a beer?

For me, that'd be Bobby.

Glenn's a legend, for sure, but not yet quite equal to Bobby. Score a hatful next season, that changes.

You kind of know what you'd get with the chat with BZ tho right? Surely a chinwag with Murray would be more interesting given the more intense/enigmatic character he is

I believe he wanted £9k which was a couple short of what Palace offered him. The club had offered £7.5k and Bloom asked Gus if we should go up to £9k and Poyet said no, let him go.

No problem with him being an Albion Legend.

Has anyone anywhere from the club gone on the record with this explanation? Even a fans forums briefing or something like that?

Because Gus went on the record in a back page interview with the Argus while he was manager saying the club refused to authorise the shift in funds from transfer budget to wages budget.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Both legends.

But then if we are ranking the legends, Bobby will always come out on top.

The only reason for me is where Murray went to. IIRC he did have options at the time and chose to join the scum up the road. Had he gone anywhere else, it would be neck and neck!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has anyone anywhere from the club gone on the record with this explanation? Even a fans forums briefing or something like that?

Because Gus went on the record in a back page interview with the Argus while he was manager saying the club refused to authorise the shift in funds from transfer budget to wages budget.

I got this from someone whose sister was a neighbour and friend of theirs. Also it was before Murray hit form at Palace so it was interesting but insignificant information at the time.

There may have been a system of two money pots but not so strict that we couldn't keep our best striker. Poyet used it as an excuse but was only a half truth.

The club and Murray have never spoken publicly on this and have acted professionally on this matter. I don't believe that Bloom ever confirmed Poyets claim.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Murray is a legend. It's not his fault that he was sold to that lot up the road when he wanted to stay. Imo we'd already be in the premier league if he had stayed.

Apart from the fact that he wasn't sold, I agree. I never got all the 'Judas' stuff myself, but then some football fans are a bit odd.

Glenn is a legend and has more than delivered on his return, making the deal to get him back money very well spent.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Albion have been blessed with some superb strikers in the Withdean/Amex era IMHO.

Would firmly include Ashley Barnes and Leon Knight, and maybe Ulloa, up there alongside Zamora and Murray.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if anything it just confirms that poyet was a bit of a bell end.....muzz has firmly plonked himself in the legends section and i reckon he's got another 5 in him yet this season....can he catch wood...??...i reckon he will.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
if anything it just confirms that poyet was a bit of a bell end.....

Never took the bloke seriously. Anyone who ever had any doubts about the bellendness of Poyet only had to watch him turning his back on any Albion penalty at Withdean. Rather than watch the penalty, and maybe learn something in his first proper managerial job, he preferred instead to always turn his back on the field of play and ham it up behind the dugout to the South Stand like some kind of weird non-managerial mime act who's not being paid to watch these things. Should have been given an official first warning by the club the first time he did that. IMHO, like. It was always all about him. ****

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here