Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite song of 1983? (Not Goldstone Rap)

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Has to be one of these

Last number is weeks at number one.

Remember having Bonnie playing over and over again on the drive to Liverpool for the cup game.

December 12 1982 – January 8 1983 Renee and Renato - Save Your Love 4
January 9 – 22 1983 Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love 2
January 23 – February 12 1983 Men At Work - Down Under 3
February 13 – 26 1983 Kajagoogoo - Too Shy 2
February 27 – March 5 1983 Michael Jackson - Billie Jean 1
March 6 – 19 1983 Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart 2
March 20 – April 2 1983 Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know 2
April 3 – 23 1983 David Bowie - Let's Dance 3
April 24 – May 21 1983 Spandau Ballet - True 4
May 22 – 28 1983 New Edition - Candy Girl 1
May 29 – June 25 1983 Police - Every Breath You Take 4
June 26 – July 16 1983 Rod Stewart - Baby Jane 3
July 17 – August 6 1983 Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) 3
August 7 – 27 1983 K C and The Sunshine Band - Give It Up 3
August 28 – September 17 1983 UB40 - Red Red Wine 3
September 18 – October 29 1983 Culture Club - Karma Chameleon 6
October 30 – December 3 1983 Billy Joel - Uptown Girl 5
December 4 1983 – January 7 1984 Flying Pickets - Only You 5

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Luv Affair, Vancouver, 1983, every Friday and Saturday. This had everyone on the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8hI_EUQoI

I have Mark Burgess's autobiography, he has led an amazing life. After The Chameleons split up he became a dry stone waller in Scotland, and then taught himself Linux and built the ticketing system at Manchester City.

Last I heard he was trying to make money to fund his wedding by selling hand written copies of lyrics to Chameleons songs. If you ever get the chance see him play live, great frontman.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
[YT]e80qhyovOnA[/YT]

One of my mates had just saved up to purchase the Sergio Tacchini t-shirt the guitarist on the right is wearing. He was so pleased as this one had not been seen around.

We were in the William Tell, Queens road, when this video came on and he saw the guitarist for the first time, he was absolutely gutted as he though he would be the only one wearing it for a while.

Happy Happy days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have Mark Burgess's autobiography, he has led an amazing life. After The Chameleons split up he became a dry stone waller in Scotland, and then taught himself Linux and built the ticketing system at Manchester City.

Last I heard he was trying to make money to fund his wedding by selling hand written copies of lyrics to Chameleons songs. If you ever get the chance see him play live, great frontman.

Brilliant - thanks for that.

I saw him play in Oxford, about 18 months ago. It wasn't the 'Vox' version, but a proper Chameleons, with two young guitarists doin the Reg and Dave parts. Absolutely magical.

My little brother is in the audience on the live DVD from around 82 - you can see him clearly :lolol:

All the best :thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Brilliant - thanks for that.

I saw him play in Oxford, about 18 months ago. It wasn't the 'Vox' version, but a proper Chameleons, with two young guitarists doin the Reg and Dave parts. Absolutely magical.

My little brother is in the audience on the live DVD from around 82 - you can see him clearly :lolol:

All the best :thumbsup:

John Lever died a few months ago. He'd had a number of personal struggles and then passed away after a short illness.

He and Burgess never made up their differences, it was quite unpleasant at times as they battled it out through Facebook

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
John Lever died a few months ago. He'd had a number of personal struggles and then passed away after a short illness.

He and Burgess never made up their differences, it was quite unpleasant at times as they battled it out through Facebook

That's terrible. Only 55. An innovator at a time when old school rock drumming was being replaced by Stuart Copeland style reggae based beats.

I have just been looking online and can't find anything about a falling out, but I'd probably rather not see it. Judging from Burgess' comments, it seems he's having a 'Brian Clough after the passing of Peter Taylor' moment. Sad. I've heard Burgess interviewed and seen him on stage and he's a bit spikey...oh well.

At least JL seems to have go a lot of nice coverage online and in the press. Marcus Bell, bass player with The Opposition (another love of mine) passed in 2014 and there is almost no mention it anywhere, other than a line on the Wiki entry. He, curiously, had a massive falling out with the singer guitarist Mark Long. I chatted with Marcus on email about it....very sad when this happens. Also from the Manchester area... Peter Hammill and Dave Jaxon of VDGG, massive flounce/strop. People should try to be nice, specially to their old mates.

Take it easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here