Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Congratulations on becoming a Prem team for the 1st time Bha :(

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Interesting view. I'm interested to know, are those born after the induction of the Premier League all ****ing cretins? The bitterness and anger I see from older fans towards younger ones on here is really, really sad.

Eh? It's nothing to do with age! And everything to do with being stupid. I wasn't alive during WW2 but I know it exists. Think you've got wrong end of stick chap.

You might be a plum on here but making a post like this does take a bit of courage. Fair play

Thanks, I do have a few Bha supporting friends and am genuinely chuffed for them and to all the fans who went to Prestfield I know the post would get slagged off but hey it wouldn't be normal rivalry if all Brighton were nice in their response would it?

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
We smell a smell

Attachments

• Michael and Betty Clements.jpg
    Michael and Betty Clements.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 349

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Having Allardyce as manager can be a double-edged sword. He's a great grafter and as he's shown, he is the man you go to when you want to avoid relegation but I'm not sure he's the man you need if you want to push on and start challenging for a top ten place. He's also got a reputation, thoroughly deserved, of being a long-ball merchant which can put players off signing for him. It also makes for very dull watching.

All of this. You can see Palace coming 11th-15th for a couple of seasons now, and the fans getting bored with industrial football, a la Stoke and Pulis.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Breakaway ? To where ? The following season (and subsequently) there were still three relegated and three promoted. Nothing changed apart from a fancy new name and a re-organization of tv money.

Pub quiz Q1 - how many clubs are in the Football League? And how many were there before 1993?

Q2 Who runs the Football League, and runs the Premier League? How does this differ from before 1993?

The short answer is that there has been a seismic power shift in English football directly as a result of the formation of the Premier League, which I'm sad to say was participated in by Palace.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pub quiz Q1 - how many clubs are in the Football League? And how many were there before 1993?

Q2 Who runs the Football League, and runs the Premier League? How does this differ from before 1993?

The short answer is that there has been a seismic power shift in English football directly as a result of the formation of the Premier League, which I'm sad to say was participated in by Palace.

alan-partridge-theyve-rebadged-it-you-fool.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Sure and the consequence is a huge financial mismatch. However, when I started watching football there were 4 professional divisions and promotion/relegation. That set up still exists. The rebranding is largely for a television audience and doesn't affect me as an Albion fan nor you as Palace. There was talk in 1992 of abolishing relegation which would have been an actual breakaway. Looking forward (barring a late calamity) to a renewal of those early 80s Division 1 games with your good selves !

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

But, ultimately, you still go up to the next division, and you go down to the one below, the same as has always happened. Power shift: no doubt, and the TV deals the PL have negotiated are what separates clubs at each level. But you can call it what you want: it's still just the next (much richer) division up. To go on, as SkySports do, about records which apply only since 1992 (for example goalscoring records) is an insult to players from previous eras who've excelled, like Dixie Dean, Ian Rush, Stanley Matthews, Gary Lineker, Jimmy Greaves etc. It's like "Thanks for your efforts, lads, but basically the 300 you scored don't count, because they were scored in an era before SkySports bought the television rights to top flight football".

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
So all the clubs previous to the premier were not playing in the top flight ,division, league, whatever you like to call it.
Jeez its the same just called the premier.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
But, ultimately, you still go up to the next division, and you go down to the one below, the same as has always happened. Power shift: no doubt, and the TV deals the PL have negotiated are what separates clubs at each level. But you can call it what you want: it's still just the next (much richer) division up. To go on, as SkySports do, about records which apply only since 1992 (for example goalscoring records) is an insult to players from previous eras who've excelled, like Dixie Dean, Ian Rush, Stanley Matthews, Gary Lineker, Jimmy Greaves etc. It's like "Thanks for your efforts, lads, but basically the 300 you scored don't count, because they were scored in an era before SkySports bought the television rights to top flight football".

You do speak a lot of common sense and totally agree with you. Had an interesting conversation with a Palace mate over the weekend, who is ok with us coming up as they get their rival back, but a bit worried that we will overtake them as a club as it would appear that the only thing they have over us is being a Premier league club with Premier league players, which is what some fans only concern. I do think we can kick on quite nicely now, as we have the infrastructure and the right owners to make us a mid table team in the future, which is amazing as to where we were 20 years ago.

Respect to LA Eagle, at least it was a congats although i do not agree we 'choked' at all as mentioned. I wonder what it must be like to 'Choke' in the whole of 2016, like a team we all know.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just a reminder to all that we are definitely NOT up yet, although we are in a great position...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here