Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the National Media the biggest JCL's of them all?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Next season there'll be a headline for every word from CH, pressurising him to get the sack if we start losing some games, and every movement our player does off the pitch. Every columnist will suddenly have a view what's best for our club.

You'll be wishing we were left alone. Enjoy the silence.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But everything counts in large amounts?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Some people are never happy. Feels like We've been on tv more this season than the previous 20 combined!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you go on social media after every episode of MOTD or the Channel 5 Football League highlights programme, you'll find fans of every single club moaning that "We'll be on last as usual", "THIRTY SECONDS? IS THAT ALL?" and so on. They can't all be missing out, surely?

Personally, I think we've had plenty of coverage: we've had enough bloody games moved to suit TV for starters. I've seen supporters of other clubs referring to us as "media darlings" (admittedly this usually comes from Northerners who are biologically programmed to whine about "The London Media" and their blatant favouritism of teams based within 50 miles of the capital).

Frankly I'd anticipate wall to wall coverage if we make it: the media love a rags-to-riches story. Look at how they fawned over Plucky Little Bournemouth. Swansea, Hull and Burnley have all recovered from dire times to make the Premier League and received plenty of credit for it at the time. It might have taken us twenty years, so a bit longer than the others, but the whole Archer- Bellotti- Gillingham-Withdean thing will be mentioned in pretty much all the national media outlets when the time comes.

Sure, certain clubs will always receive greater coverage than their league position may justify, because these people have to sell papers and advertising and Sky contracts, and they know Newcastle, and The Leeds United for example have huge, gullible fan bases. It doesn't mean we're missing out though. Our time will come...

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Reaching the Promised Land 20 years after being on the verge of oblivion will be too good a story for the nationals not to be all over it once we are over the line.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Watched it. Great wasn't it?!

Yes...i picked it up after the football...missed the first half hour ...but i saw all of the concert in Scotland (?) and it moved me enough to go and get my headphones so i could turn the volume up without annoying the rest of the household...very impressive!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I won't be happy until I see an Albion history MONTAGE on Football Focus, with some poetry read over the top.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Talk sport were talking about us throughout the day

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Next season there'll be a headline for every word from CH, pressurising him to get the sack if we start losing some games, and every movement our player does off the pitch. Every columnist will suddenly have a view what's best for our club.

You'll be wishing we were left alone. Enjoy the silence.

Personally I have become all green as in praying O'Neill takes Ireland to 2018 World Cup. He is bound to get at least 2 years after that so that keeps danger from that angle away.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If you go on social media after every episode of MOTD or the Channel 5 Football League highlights programme, you'll find fans of every single club moaning that "We'll be on last as usual", "THIRTY SECONDS? IS THAT ALL?" and so on. They can't all be missing out, surely?

Personally, I think we've had plenty of coverage: we've had enough bloody games moved to suit TV for starters. I've seen supporters of other clubs referring to us as "media darlings" (admittedly this usually comes from Northerners who are biologically programmed to whine about "The London Media" and their blatant favouritism of teams based within 50 miles of the capital).

Frankly I'd anticipate wall to wall coverage if we make it: the media love a rags-to-riches story. Look at how they fawned over Plucky Little Bournemouth. Swansea, Hull and Burnley have all recovered from dire times to make the Premier League and received plenty of credit for it at the time. It might have taken us twenty years, so a bit longer than the others, but the whole Archer- Bellotti- Gillingham-Withdean thing will be mentioned in pretty much all the national media outlets when the time comes.

Sure, certain clubs will always receive greater coverage than their league position may justify, because these people have to sell papers and advertising and Sky contracts, and they know Newcastle, and The Leeds United for example have huge, gullible fan bases. It doesn't mean we're missing out though. Our time will come...

Plucky little Bournemouth got less coverage in their promotion season than we have this time. Part of the reason is that it's so far from London, where about half of all the national papers' sportswriters live. And that's also the case for us to a lesser extent. If we persist in 9am press conferences next season then only agencies and people like me will go because Lancing is a lot further to go than the London clubs' HQs, which are mostly scattered along the M25. When Norwich were in the Premier League there were seldom any features about them in the Saturday or Sunday papers because nobody wanted to drive up the A11 with a 6am start to do them. Ditto Southampton and Bournemouth this season.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Jim White and guests were quite complimentary of Brighton on talk sport today.

'they play entertaining football, and will hold their own next season. Will be a welcome addition to replace Sunderland and Boro with their negative football'

Cant argue with that.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I see it as media coverage as a go to thing like clichés, you want decent Albion coverage you go to sky or ITV, want to be ignored? Go to the BBC.

One problem is ingrained low expectations among fans and further, all the years bouncing along the bottom. Fans expectations will rise before anyone elses but it still is a major problem.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I see it as media coverage as a go to thing like clichés, you want decent Albion coverage you go to sky or ITV, want to be ignored? Go to the BBC.

One problem is ingrained low expectations among fans and further, all the years bouncing along the bottom. Fans expectations will rise before anyone elses but it still is a major problem.

Agreed, so long as you ignore the coverage we get on Radio Sussex, Five Live and BBC1, there's hardly any mention of the Albion on Auntie. Radio Coventry, for example, never give us a mention, and don't get me started on BBC2, 3 or 4. Clearly a conspiracy against our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here