Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More sad news

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Really sad to hear that - always enjoyed his contributions on here. RIP Nigel.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
RIP Nigel. We didn't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things on here but we were both Brighton fans and it's dreadfully sad to hear that he's passed away just before we get to the promised land.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sad news indeed. He always came across as an intelligent and erudite person. He'll be a huge loss on this board, and it's so agonising to know he'll (if we make it!) miss the highlight of many an Albion fan's years of faithful support.

My thoughts are with his family and friends - of which I suspect he had many.

Rest in peace.

Kosh

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That is very sad to hear. RIP Nigel and all my best wishes to his family.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
RIP fella.

Always seemed like a decent guy on NSC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My friend Nigel, who posted on here as Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo!, finally lost the latest of several battles with cancer yesterday evening.

A WSU season-ticket holder, he saw his first Albion match in 1960, a 6-0 stuffing of Bristol Rovers, which was about five years before I met him in a classroom at the then Hove Grammar (now Blatchington Mill). We were both there until 1972.

Like many people who have had a long-standing relationship with that foul disease, Nigel was astonishingly stoical and matter-of-fact about the last few weeks (he'd probably have laughed at the word 'brave', but getting to Rotherham from Surrey was probably that after last season's result there).

Last month I got an email explaining that the latest chemo hadn't worked and that he had no more than 6 months, but had a history of beating the stats. Sadly that wouldn't be the case, although he seemed more concerned about a sudden bout of hay fever. I'd have loved him to see at least one game in the Premier League, if we get there, or at least the celebrations.

He is survived by his wife Merle and children Gareth and Emma, who were all with him when he went.

Very sorry to hear that and commiserations to his loved ones and friends. I remember him as a regular poster.

I hope he had been able to gain some pleasure at times, from this amazing season with his beloved Albion.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Sorry to hear this sad news RIP Nigel. I probably knew you as I was ex-HCGS and left a year earlier in 1971.

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
I'm genuinely Gutted to hear this, Very sad news, when I started the thread "NHS leg pain" he helped me through a lot of my cancer journey exchanging many PMs along the way. RIP Nigel you will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
RIP

Only knew of him from his posts on here, but very sad to hear all the same.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Terribly sad that he did not get to see us over the next few weeks and months. RIP to one of our own.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
So sorry to hear this,, RIP Nigel

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
So sorry to hear this.

I lost someone close to me a couple of weeks ago. Nothing prepares you for it. Thoughts with Nigel's family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
With our posting names, it was fairly clear we were going to click on here and I always loved & respected his posts, certainly one of my favourite posters. He also worked with one of my brothers and also sat in WSU so we did meet and seemed a really decent chap.

Sadly missed but I'm sure he'll be watching from above.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
So sad. Only knew Nigel through NSC. Had quite a few chats about our old school, Hove County Grammar, although I was there in the 50's.

Came over as one of the nicest good guys who never complained about having to live with Big C. Thoughts and Prayers are with his family.

RIP Nigel.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Very sad news.

Did he by any chance sit towards the south end of WSU in Row M? There's a guy who we always used to exchange a few words with as he made his way past us but we've missed his appearances of late.

No, more central.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here