Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One step closer to all out war.

larus

"We"? Who is this "we" of whom you speak?

I thought that Britain had voted to disengage from the rest of the world and concentrate on "our own country". Now people are talking about getting involved in a war thousands of miles away, because it might secure the popularity of Donald Trump. Donald Trump, ffs!!

We are being governed by idiots.

The idiots are the left-wing, pacifying types who don't ever want to confront the reality of this type of situation. What did Obama do thn North Korea crossed his 'red lines'. Sweet FA as per all left-wing apologists.

This has got to the situation it is because of the likes of Corbyn etc. His ilk always assume that we can engage with people. Well, guess what. It doesn't work, and now the world is in a much more dangersous place than it ought to be, but the left-wingers again need to blame those that are prepared to stand up to it.

Rather than looking for the positive in this (that maybe at long last this evil regime will be dealt with), you need to attack someone who you don't like. The blame is with your left-wing luvvies.

larus

No. Obviously. But the US (and the UK) went down that non-UN path in Iraq in 2003. That didn't work out too well. and now there's a gung-ho business bully with previously poor approval ratings with his finger on the hair-trigger. How's that going to work out any better?

The problem with the UN is that it's a really great idea (being 100% serious there), but the reality is that it is abused by all sides on the security council for their own pet countries. Be that Israel, Korea, Syria. The UN is a complete f*cking joke, and the laugh is on those who think it can ever really achieve anything is it's current structure.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
The earliest it can start is the evening of Easter Monday after we have secured promotion. All sides have agreed to this but are willing to postpone it until it's done and dusted

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The idiots are the left-wing, pacifying types who don't ever want to confront the reality of this type of situation. What did Obama do thn North Korea crossed his 'red lines'. Sweet FA as per all left-wing apologists.

This has got to the situation it is because of the likes of Corbyn etc. His ilk always assume that we can engage with people. Well, guess what. It doesn't work, and now the world is in a much more dangersous place than it ought to be, but the left-wingers again need to blame those that are prepared to stand up to it.

Rather than looking for the positive in this (that maybe at long last this evil regime will be dealt with), you need to attack someone who you don't like. The blame is with your left-wing luvvies.
Very much so and always said the biggest threat to the world are these types who get rolled over because of severe naivety.
The world needs to take a step back to move forwards :thumbsup:

larus

The UK's engagement with the rest of the world would be better served if we positioned ourselves in the forefront of the nations that worked for world peace. We are no longer one of the great military powers.

Whilst I accept that Brexit doesn't necessarily mean disengagement from everything else in the world (and I am prepared to listen to what May and her supporters are saying about this), it does seem to me to be equally likely that, at the first taste of growing conflict in the world, there will be a massive shift in public opinion that will demand no further engagement with any other nation.

Britain and the world will be the poorer if that happens.

Jesus Christ. I've heard it all now. What an absolutely pathetic statement. We want to be self governing and that's it. If you want to moan about engagement, then how about the rest of the NATO nations who don't put the agreed 2% of their GDP into their defence budget.

Really thought you were more intelligent than these pathetic swipes because the UK voted for self determination, but I guess the Reaminers are just sad losers.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Think I might start needing to get paid a bit more - danger money!

Some interesting and simplistic views from some of NSC's resident experts of everything.

The curious case of dealing with NK is far from straight forward, there's actually a backlash here in SK following the recent scandals concerning the Park Geun Hye administration, that is sympathetic to aligning closer to the north and following a more isolationist model. Don't think for a minute that the majority of everyday South Koreans like such a strong US military presence even though it has guaranteed stability and enabled economic advancement.(Not to mention liberating them from decades of Japanese colonisation in '46)

Before the domino style capitalist/communist war in the 50's the peninsular was a dirt poor nation. NK still is thanks to the regime - the North Korean people (apart from the chosen few) have never known anything different to the hard traditional subsistence living that they and their forefathers experienced yet now they have paranoid, gulag threatening, dynastic dictators to contend with. To dismiss the North Korean people for not rising up and revolting and saying they would be a justified collateral damage to just wipe out the Kim Jong problem is as inhumane as saying nuking the French to stop the Nazis would have been an option if the H bomb was ready.

China have all the leverage here, I can't see China allowing a fat kid to endanger their position right now.

Dialogue for me is key. I don't care if Kim Jong Un lives his days out eating cheese and drinking Cognac as long as an accord can be met to stabilise the situation and allow the NK citizens more food and liberty. I didn't enjoy seeing footage of Saddam getting hung in a shed or Gaddaffi being thrown on the back of a ute because it came with unacceptable consequences and no plan going forward.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Think I might start needing to get paid a bit more - danger money!

Some interesting and simplistic views from some of NSC's resident experts of everything.

The curious case of dealing with NK is far from straight forward, there's actually a backlash here in SK following the recent scandals concerning the Park Geun Hye administration, that is sympathetic to aligning closer to the north and following a more isolationist model. Don't think for a minute that the majority of everyday South Koreans like such a strong US military presence even though it has guaranteed stability and enabled economic advancement.(Not to mention liberating them from decades of Japanese colonisation in '46)

Before the domino style capitalist/communist war in the 50's the peninsular was a dirt poor nation. NK still is thanks to the regime - the North Korean people (apart from the chosen few) have never known anything different to the hard traditional subsistence living that they and their forefathers experienced yet now they have paranoid, gulag threatening, dynastic dictators to contend with. To dismiss the North Korean people for not rising up and revolting and saying they would be a justified collateral damage to just wipe out the Kim Jong problem is as inhumane as saying nuking the French to stop the Nazis would have been an option if the H bomb was ready.

China have all the leverage here, I can't see China allowing a fat kid to endanger their position right now.

Dialogue for me is key. I don't care if Kim Jong Un lives his days out eating cheese and drinking Cognac as long as an accord can be met to stabilise the situation and allow the NK citizens more food and liberty. I didn't enjoy seeing footage of Saddam getting hung in a shed or Gaddaffi being thrown on the back of a ute because it came with unacceptable consequences and no plan going forward.

Let's hope the three world leaders get around the table and discuss, it is in no one's interest to have a major war - the big powers and their leaders know this.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"We" (the armed forces of the UK) did fight the Korean War, but failed to defeat the enemy. The peace settlement, such as it was, created the North Korean government. You seem to imagine that "taking the NK government down" is some sort of easy option. History tells us that it isn't. It will be an entanglement that could be massively more complicated than anything kicked off by Bush and Blair in the Middle East.

You could be right. Warfare has moved on a hell but of a lot since the Korean War though. It would mostly be a series of remote air strikes followed by...well probably followed by an installed regime change. Which will go wrong.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm pretty sure we will be embroiled in WW3 within the next 5 years. All the events, both major and seemingly insignificantly are pointing in that direction. Things that seem unconnected and random now ,history will draw a direct narrative leading to a world war. As is always the case, a handful of unhinged leaders will lead millions to their deaths.

We never, ever learn and there's no shortage of ego maniacal warmongerers in every generation.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm concerned about the timing of all this. Trump starts beating his tub about Korea. Trump then meets President Xi Jinping and wants to have something up his sleeve for negotiating. QED, throw a few missiles about and stick a carrier into the South China sea.

What's worrying is that Trump thinks that playing politics is the same as negotiating a deal to buy a golf course.

It didn't take him long to get bored of domestic politics did it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Trump will have seen what his air strike on Syria did for his flagging poll ratings. He'll be wanting more of the same. He's got a taste for it now. Very very dangerous.

Every leader in History is under the ''misconception'' that a ''short victorious war'' will regenerate their popularity at home and it often does but the consequences are always devastating in the long run.

I have resigned myself to the fact that he will raise a small nuclear warhead on North Korea in his first term in office. The US has the capabilities of firing smaller nuclear arsenal much smaller than the ones raised on Japan and I have no doubt that in time he will feel that these are justified.

The danger of that will be that will be that the North Koreans already have a nuclear arsenal which can reach most of the west so they will just bomb US Allies in retaliation because the don't have an bomb which can fit on a warhead to reach the US.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just watched some morons from 'Stop the War' shout down a Syrian refugee trying to make a point about the USA missile strike.They were more interested in slagging off Trump,the useless oxygen-thieves.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I am sure you would characterise me as left wing but I certainly would describe myself as pacifist to the point of inaction; sometimes you have to use force against bullies. There are certain rules about this. The first is consistency of message and Trumps frequent about turns are very dangerous. The second is planning for the consequences of any action you take so you don't create bigger problems than the ones you acted against and Irag is a case here. Sometimes it isn't a case of left vs right it's about doing the job properly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I am sure you would characterise me as left wing but I certainly would describe myself as pacifist to the point of inaction; sometimes you have to use force against bullies. There are certain rules about this. The first is consistency of message and Trumps frequent about turns are very dangerous. The second is planning for the consequences of any action you take so you don't create bigger problems than the ones you acted against and Irag is a case here. Sometimes it isn't a case of left vs right it's about doing the job properly.

Non-action or the US policy over the past 20 years of "strategic patience" with the Korean situation has created a bigger problem than the one that they,by NON action,would have faced had they actually acted earlier....agree.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Neither Putin or Xi Jinping want conflict with the USA. Putin postures to keep his popularity up, knowing Russia's military capability is decades behind the USA and Xi Ping knows that the masses will turn on the communist regime given half the chance. Russia will come to some sort of agreement on Syria without Putin losing face that allows Trump to boost his popularity ratings and Xi Jinping will have a serious word in the fat boys ear. The last thing China wants is a Korean War leading to millions of starving refugees on their borders and the possibility of a radioactive dust cloud following behind.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Non-action or the US policy over the past 20 years of "strategic patience" with the Korean situation has created a bigger problem than the one that they,by NON action,would have faced had they actually acted earlier....agree.

Well it clearly hasn't provided any kind of resolution to the instability of the region, the division in Korea and the poverty of the people. Whether this is worse than a specific form of action one would have to specifty what that would have been.

If this debate had taken place in 1983 and focussed on Eastern Europe a similar case could have been made for escalation at that point. I am assuming that most of us are glad that didn't happen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well that would put the tin lid on it. War breaks out as Brighton and Hove Albion are about to start their new season in the Premier League. Boom,no more Televised Football. Ever. :cry:

But we'll have got there...eventually!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just watched some morons from 'Stop the War' shout down a Syrian refugee trying to make a point about the USA missile strike.They were more interested in slagging off Trump,the useless oxygen-thieves.

Where did you see this?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here