Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please: can we just focus on this season?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Loads of threads about next season already, and whilst our position is undoubtedly great, there's still work to do. But that's not my point.

I've been watching the Albion since I was ten years old, and for thirty odd years since, I've been dreaming about being where we are now. Last season was close, but this season looks like it is, finally, going to be the one. I've watched more crap players than I care to remember, at the Goldstone, at the Pissfield and at Withdean as well as the Amex, and this current squad is easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I've seen five promotions, but none will be as sweet as this one- if we do it- because we finally have an infrastructure that can support it. And because the thousands lost during the years in exile, or slumming it at Withdean, are back, along with a generation of new fans who run around football pitches in Preston Park and Hove Park and Worthing and Lancing and Burgess Hill and Eastbourne and Horsham and so on, wearing Albion shirts instead of Chelsea or Liverpool ones. Because if we do it this time, it's going to be huge.

We have five games to go, and every chance of wrapping things up. We need to savour it, to enjoy it, and to roar the players on to that point and beyond. Let's not go on about players for next season, or chances of survival, or ticket prices in the Premier League yet. That's for later times, and the current players deserve more respect. I'm pretty sure nobody at Loftus Road yesterday was thinking about signings as we danced around for long after the players had walked off.

Let us just soak up these last few weeks, while Chris & the players hopefully finish things off in style. Sit back...enjoy...treasure it...worry about the rest later!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sound advice.

And from a woman too :shrug:

Yeah, I mean, a thread about cats or something- maybe. But this woman displays a disturbing knowledge of football and an ability to rationalise our situation. I think someone should let David Moyse know. She needs to know her place.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I composed it in between the ironing and the washing up.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Loads of threads about next season already, and whilst our position is undoubtedly great, there's still work to do. But that's not my point.

I've been watching the Albion since I was ten years old, and for thirty odd years since, I've been dreaming about being where we are now. Last season was close, but this season looks like it is, finally, going to be the one. I've watched more crap players than I care to remember, at the Goldstone, at the Pissfield and at Withdean as well as the Amex, and this current squad is easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I've seen five promotions, but none will be as sweet as this one- if we do it- because we finally have an infrastructure that can support it. And because the thousands lost during the years in exile, or slumming it at Withdean, are back, along with a generation of new fans who run around football pitches in Preston Park and Hove Park and Worthing and Lancing and Burgess Hill and Eastbourne and Horsham and so on, wearing Albion shirts instead of Chelsea or Liverpool ones. Because if we do it this time, it's going to be huge.

We have five games to go, and every chance of wrapping things up. We need to savour it, to enjoy it, and to roar the players on to that point and beyond. Let's not go on about players for next season, or chances of survival, or ticket prices in the Premier League yet. That's for later times, and the current players deserve more respect. I'm pretty sure nobody at Loftus Road yesterday was thinking about signings as we danced around for long after the players had walked off.

Let us just soak up these last few weeks, while Chris & the players hopefully finish things off in style. Sit back...enjoy...treasure it...worry about the rest later!

Yep. All Of that.

Imagine many of the people starting threads about next season in the premier league will also be the ones moaning when we get spanked every other week.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
100% agree. Let's just enjoy this. What will be will be. But this could be it. It's an amazing feeling to almost be there.

There are memories of being so grateful to get to Division 2 and no one was being pessimistic then, just loving the fact that a team without a roof got promoted. Let's enjoy the ride and if we go back down then so be it but bloody hell, this is Brighton, little old Brighton that could be in the top 20 teams in the best league in the world!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This place is gonna be intolerable over the next few weeks, just let Chris and the team get it done before you start spending Bloom's money.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with all of those observations Edna. I think it's a sobering thought and also one that fills one with gratitude, that our current position is borne from the incredible effort the staff and fans made in the war years, without which, we would never have been on the precipice of the premier league, let alone with a club to support. It has been an incredible journey from the moment I started supporting Albion in the early seventies standing on a milk crate in the chicken run. The glory years were all too short, and what followed in the years in the wilderness were such a mixture. Pain to see our club stuttering along, pain to watch it and the fans suffer through mismanagement and corruption, but also joy when we got our club back with Dick Knight at the helm. It's so fitting that this season coincides with the 20 year anniversary of the Hereford game. I was not able to go to that match but managed to listen to the end of the game on radio five and I can honestly say that it meant as much, if not more, than some of the great games in the past. That high feels similar to the one I feel right now as I think, with a great deal of gratitude and credit to Tony Bloom, that saving ourselves in that manner was a real turning point and building block for the future of the club. Yes we had many more years of being 'crap', but we also managed, with our fighting spirit that Micky Adams and his team engendered, to continuously punch above our weight even though our facilities and financial state were parlous.

As you so rightly state, enjoy the moment, there's enough time to worry about next season once we have got this one out of the way. When we are finally promoted, as we surely will be, I for one will raise a glass and celebrate with my fellow fans and with the team but also remember the journey and those who fought alongside the rest of us and didn't make it this far. Supporting the Albion has been a constant in my life and almost always a positive experience, what Chris Hughton and the players are doing is a fantastic achievement and they do it in the knowledge that they are bringing pride in Brighton and through all of Sussex to our community of fans. Up the Albion!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i may not have told you before.........but i think.........i love you .....:kiss:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's good advice because as soon as i start thinking about what might happen next season and beyond it gets a bit depressing so i am going to try and wrong out all the joy i can from this season.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Yep. All Of that.

Imagine many of the people starting threads about next season in the premier league will also be the ones moaning when we get spanked every other week.

And we will, if, hopefully not quite as often as that. Some of us remember only too well the first match last time 0-4 home to Arsenal. Many of us then just looked forward to the one season in the First Division we expected to have. The difference in class was alarming.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wise words, it is unlikely to get better, although it might

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Great sentiments.

Let's enjoy and appreciate 'the winning' at the moment. The Championship is arguably the hardest league in the world and we're smashing it at the top with a great chance of winning the damn thing. This has never happened before and it could be a long time before it happens again. We've won the last three games and will hopefully win at least two of the final five. It's the time to live in the now; soak up and relish this golden period in Albion's history. These are the best of times.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here