Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would getting us promoted to the PL make Hughton our greatest ever manager?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's clearly as good as Mullery getting us up in '79 and given the huge difference in resources available to a lot of other teams in this league it's arguable that it's been a much more difficult achievement this time around. I think he's our greatest.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I think it's harder to get up now than ever before. With parachute payments and just the incredible standard of the championship you can have a good team but not even make the playoffs.

If CH keeps us up he will be the greatest without a doubt for me.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
We lost out to Pritchard purely because we simply can't compete with clubs with parachute payments so yes, huge gulf in resources.

Thank the Lord for that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It's clearly as good as Mullery getting us up in '79 and given the huge difference in resources available to a lot of other teams in this league it's arguable that it's been a much more difficult achievement this time around. I think he's our greatest.

agreed

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Huge difference in resources? We lost £25m last year..

The squad cost of Newcastle, Derby, Norwich, Villa and Wednesday dwarfs ours, with player wages in their 2016/17 accounts (we will see eventually) to match. In addition other clubs such as Fulham, QPR and Reading receive PL parachute monies.

For CH to get us to first/second is a massive achievement, and after only two years in charge. He inherited a squad that had been playing negative slow football for a number of seasons, and transformed that in no time at all.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Yes, Hughton has topped all previous incumbents. This league is far tougher now than in 79 and it's a very different era with so much more pressure on both the manager and players!

And there were more teams in the top division back then, so that in itself means promotion now is a bigger achievement. We will be in the top 20, not the top 22.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I think his genial and low key nature mask a steely resolve and confidence to get the job done. His record speaks for itself, and I hope he enjoys many more successful seasons with us. I could see him managing Ireland one day.
Certainly the best in my era (post 1985)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is already ahead of Mullery imo. It is so much harder to get out of this division now. I am so pleased it looks like we have finally done it as I don't think I could stand having to do it all again, even though it has been an amazing journey in the last four seasons. The quality of the players in this league is light years ahead of what it was and the money spent trying to get out of it immense. We have been so near three times and now we may finally have done it without ever being one of the big spenders. Chris Hughton has done it with dignity, calmness and is very "simpatico" ( I don't think there is an English word that covers this?) as well as being a bloody good manager. He is a credit to the club, himself and the fans and in an era of managers being A1 Prima Donnas, he is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, he is the best imo, even if we haven't kicked a ball in the Premier League under him.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Took over a shambles of a team and made us safe then.....

87 games, 175 points

In what is considered one of THE tightest leagues in Europe and widely regarded as the toughest to get promoted from.

I respect Mullery's achievements but Hughton is the best we have ever had, bar none!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And the great news for Hughton on a personal front is that even when it is over with Brighton - hopefully not for a good while yet - he can presumably have the post O'Neill Ireland job pretty much any time he wants if he takes us up. So his short, medium and long-term career looks sewn up.

I'd make Mullery/Hughton joint and Poyet our best three managers. Although I really liked Chris Cattlin's team.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
bit of a come down isn't it???

Leading your country out at a world cup? I'd imagine a lot of managers would love the opportunity.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear, I was thinking more in the twilight of his career after, as I said, 'many more successful seasons with us.'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here