Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beeping your horn at a learner driver

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I popped out a few minutes ago and as i was driving down Dyke Road a learner driver pulled out very slowly from a side road on the left. I started to brake gently while the car in front of me accelerated up to the learner beeping their horn.

I wondered what sort of a **** you have to be to do that to someone who is probably very nervous and trying to learn.

So, has anyone on NSC ever done this and will admit to it ?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I popped out a few minutes ago and as i was driving down Dyke Road a learner driver pulled out very slowly from a side road on the left. I started to brake gently while the car in front of me accelerated up to the learner beeping their horn.

I wondered what sort of a **** you have to be to do that to someone who is probably very nervous and trying to learn.

Happened to me on my driving test

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would only ever beep a learner if they hadn't seen me or a pedestrian or something and were about the do some damage. Beeping them out of frustration? Pointless and snipey. Still, might do them good to learn quickly what idiots perfectly nice, normal folk can turn into when behind the wheel.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I hate people that actually bib their hornes....no need for horns on vehicles as it just irrates people big time.

Agreed. One should never beep a pedestrian who has stepped onto the road but hasn't seen you. Beeping makes most people freeze and then you hit them, best to let them speed up and get out of the way.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed. One should never beep a pedestrian who has stepped onto the road but hasn't seen you. Beeping makes most people freeze and then you hit them, best to let them speed up and get out of the way.

I assume you will also include the fact you will slow down.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I assume you will also include the fact you will slow down.

Haha! Yes, do everything to avoid the accident obvs, just horns should be last resort. Unless you have one that goes "du du du du du duuuu du", in that case honk all night and day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I disagree,they need a gentle reminder that the next driver will not be so patient or even stop,just toot the horn and wave hello you did not look,its possible a cyclist could have hit them as much as a car,even if they can't hear a car,they should look for a cyclist.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I disagree,they need a gentle reminder that the next driver will not be so patient or even stop,just toot the horn and wave hello you did not look,its possible a cyclist could have hit them as much as a car,even if they can't hear a car,they should look for a cyclist.

I presume you mean once they are passed and out of harms way? I agree with that but if someone steps out into the road it, let's say it is arguably more dangerous to beep if you have time to brake or swerve.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lolol:Sorry just had an image of GWF ploughing into a poor old dear while tooting and shrugging "you didn't look did you, tut tut".. :)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I presume you mean once they are passed and out of harms way? I agree with that but if someone steps out into the road it, let's say it is arguably more dangerous to beep if you have time to brake or swerve.

Yes pretty much,i think instinct would take up all the natural reactions of avoiding rather than trying to sound a horn..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:lolol:Sorry just had an image of GWF ploughing into a poor old dear while tooting and shrugging "you didn't look did you, tut tut".. :)

Ha ha- had to do it once in the lorry,of course i stopped but the fool just stepped into the road i was turning into whilst listening to headphones..without looking....was doing him a favor longer term.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Given the acceleration probably an early leaver.

The horn as everyone knows should only be used to give an audio warning where another road user has not seen you. A competent driver would have seen the learner emerging and would have been slowing down rather than accelerating given that learner drivers are usually slower than most drivers until they have had a few lessons.

I suspect this dumpty tailgates at 80 in lane 2 on the motorway while both flashing their lights, sounding their horn and shouting at the vehicle in front.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some people are just selfish pricks with no respect for other people.

Why they have to learn to drive on my time I have no idea.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
At the Martletts in Burgess Hill this morning there was an old guy berating an ambulance driver for blocking him while they treated a poor old lady who had fallen and broken her leg. Some people should just be removed from society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here