Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They may have been gutted he left but when we signed CMS they were more than happy with how things had turned out. That's my point. We know we got the crap end of that deal but that's not the point I'm making. IF I could be arsed I'd find the threads and the comments made by certain people on here and highlight their change of opinions.

I was one of the "they". Like you, I can't be bothered to trawl through old posts.

At the time, before (as it was on the cards) and after GM went I was gutted. It didn't mean it was doom and gloom, as I was loving the Amex, Vicente, Buckley, etc. I very soon realised CMS wasn't to the same level and had key weaknesses in his game. I agree with you that initially regarding CMS, I was in the minority, as most loved his effort and modest persona.

My views on GM were strengthened when an Albion Board member I knew in 2011, told me lowdown on GM's departure. I was given the pay figures involved, told about GP's arrogance and he simply didn't want GM/his agent getting the modest pay level sought. GP engineered the whole thing months before. Also, for the avoidance of doubt, we could have kept GM and bought CMS. Perhaps TB or PB will write an autobiography one day, where the facts will be out in print?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was one of the "they". Like you, I can't be bothered to trawl through old posts.

At the time, before (as it was on the cards) and after GM went I was gutted. It didn't mean it was doom and gloom, as I was loving the Amex, Vicente, Buckley, etc. I very soon realised CMS wasn't to the same level and had key weaknesses in his game. I agree with you that initially regarding CMS, I was in the minority, as most loved his effort and modest persona.

My views on GM were strengthened when an Albion Board member I knew in 2011, told me lowdown on GM's departure. I was given the pay figures involved, told about GP's arrogance and he simply didn't want GM/his agent getting the modest pay level sought. GP engineered the whole thing months before. Also, for the avoidance of doubt, we could have kept GM and bought CMS. Perhaps TB or PB will write an autobiography one day, where the facts will be out in print?

One things for sure I'm glad Poyet went when he did. I know the figures involved in Glens move but they may have been surmountable but you can't answer that without know pay structures, projected expenditures and so forth. One thing for sure is GP did not move heaven and hell to keep him.

Ha ha, yes he said that but then the board sanctioned our record signing on record wages. Gus wouldn't be one to bend the truth to cover his own arse would he!?

Well what adds credibility to Gus's claim is that he said it while still Brighton manager. The board did indeed sanction the right spending years later, that's beyond dispute but that doesn't in itself falsify Gus's claim

Last edited:

How many goals is that?

Not many but come on he's had some very good games in the Prem and he will be good for us next season.

Focus is on much more Baldock and Hemed being able to make the step up. Baldock has been excellent as a foil for Murray and will get his chance, the question is will the quicker Prem defenders nullify that movement.

Bigger question over Hemed and I do wonder if we get a decent offer from a Champ club we shouldn't cash in.

We do need an Ulloa level player to give us some kind of midtable chance

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not many but come on he's had some very good games in the Prem and he will be good for us next season.

Focus is on much more Baldock and Hemed being able to make the step up. Baldock has been excellent as a foil for Murray and will get his chance, the question is will the quicker Prem defenders nullify that movement.

Bigger question over Hemed and I do wonder if we get a decent offer from a Champ club we shouldn't cash in.

We do need an Ulloa level player to give us some kind of midtable chance

I am sure he will, but goals will keep Brighton up, Boro have tried to bore safety and thankfully failed.

Couple of people I have spoken to seem to think Hamed maybe better suited to the PL - have to be honest I have not seen him a lot this year.

Pace is key, I know he will be relegated back to back - but Traore could be worth the money needed to bring him to the Amex - plus he is young - so has room to improve and a sell on value.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I have said it before, and I will say it again, we should never have let Murray go in the first place.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One things for sure I'm glad Poyet went when he did. I know the figures involved in Glens move but they may have been surmountable but you can't answer that without know pay structures, projected expenditures and so forth. One thing for sure is GP did not move heaven and hell to keep him.

They were very affordable. GM wanted £6k a week, up from £3,250 a week in the Championship. Hoskins, Buckley, Vicente and CMS were awarded pay of between £11k and £8k a week, some say Vicente was on £15k a week. The Board entrusted Poyet on all things regarding squad decisions and pay levels, other than the final legal contracts stage; something they later changed for the good of the club ... guess what, he didn't like it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am sure he will, but goals will keep Brighton up, Boro have tried to bore safety and thankfully failed.

Couple of people I have spoken to seem to think Hamed maybe better suited to the PL - have to be honest I have not seen him a lot this year.

Pace is key, I know he will be relegated back to back - but Traore could be worth the money needed to bring him to the Amex - plus he is young - so has room to improve and a sell on value.

Assuming you mean Adama Traore, he's best out wide. A danger on his day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They were very affordable. GM wanted £6k a week, up from £3,250 a week in the Championship. Hoskins, Buckley, Vicente and CMS were awarded pay of between £11k and £8k a week, some say Vicente was on £15k a week. The Board entrusted Poyet on all things regarding squad decisions and pay levels, other than the final legal contracts stage; something they later changed for the good of the club ... guess what, he didn't like it.
Glenn Murray was offered 6k a week but declined that offer and got over 8k at Palace on a 3 year deal. That much I know from a reliable source but don't know what the others were on. Anyway after a few reservations about his return I now love him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Glenn Murray was offered 6k a week but declined that offer and got over 8k at Palace on a 3 year deal. That much I know from a reliable source but don't know what the others were on. Anyway after a few reservations about his return I now love him.

No. Poyet refused the £6k a week and was personally pleased to see the back of someone who had the temerity (through their agent) of wanting a 'large' pay rise.

We have to remember that Poyet had been a top international player and often after their playing days end, when in management some of his ilk don't warm to players of a lower standard than them.

Poyet's arrogance against the club later came out in a far bigger way.

You're right that CP gave that level of pay. I remember CP forums generally agreeing that that's what they found out, with Ambrose and Spironi on £11k a week.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No. Poyet refused the £6k a week and was personally pleased to see the back of someone who had the temerity (through their agent) of wanting a 'large' pay rise.

We have to remember that Poyet had been a top international player and often after their playing days end, when in management some of his ilk don't warm to players of a lower standard than them.

Poyet's arrogance against the club later came out in a far bigger way.

You're right that CP gave that level of pay. I remember CP forums generally agreeing that that's what they found out, with Ambrose and Spironi on £11k a week.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on Poyet pulling the plug on the 6k offer. I don't think he was involved in salary negotiations to that degree but he might well have told the board we can get better at that price - I don't know. Anyway time to move on now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Been at Middlesborough since August 2016

Yes, I know.

Having signed a long deal with Villa on that money, do you think he accepted a significant pay cut, when agreeing to be sold to Boro?

Or that he would do so to move from Boro to the Albion?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Glen's on the ̶b̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ golf course already !!!

Caddying for Sergio...

̶ Glen Murrary.jpg

Glen Murray is about to collect the biggest cheque of his career after helping Sergio Garcia to victory in the 81st Masters at Augusta National on Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here