Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you sleep in a double bed with your 13-year old opposite sex child?

Would you sleep in a double bed with your opposite sex 13-year old child

• Yes

Votes: 67 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 39.6%

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't have kids, so apologies if I'm out of touch.....but in what kind of INSANE world would this be seen as a problem?

I find it MAD that people respond "no".

It's YOUR OWN CHILD. They are not asking "would you CHOOSE to stay in the same bed".Clearly it's a "if its the only logical option, would you?". In which case, if the answer is still no then I worry.

This ^^^ :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have two children, one of each, now aged 20 and 22 and i wouldn't have even thought twice about sleeping in the same bed with them at any time up to now.

*edit* And the hotel calling the police would have been one of these stories that gets trundled out at any family occasion for the next 25 years !

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I took my daughter to see Green Day at the Emirates in 2013 - she was 16 at the time. We stayed overnight in a hotel as it was easier, but I'd booked a room with a double bed and another single bed in the lounge area.

After getting back to the hotel after the concert and getting ready for bed, I lay on the double bed and she came and got on the bed for a hug. We ended up falling asleep and she slept inside the quilt and I slept on-top, maybe with just a little of the quilt over me. Purely innocent and I was happy that she was comfortable enough to do that (she lives with her mum as we divorced years ago). I can see why the hotel would have had concerns, but in many parts of the world this would not be considered a problem. I think the problem comes from people constantly looking for problems, when often they don't exist (I agree with the comments of [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION]). I know some may view what happened with me as wrong, but if a parent/child can't be close without questioning the intention, then something is seriously f*cked up with society IMO.

Totally agree. I don't have a 13 (or 16) year old daughter but I think society is seriously messed up if people have issues with what happened to you. If a hotel only had a double room, I personally can see no issue with sleeping in the same bed with my daughter or son.

seems a pretty sad state of affairs that we have come to be suspicious of something like this.

This, this and this. This reminds me of a case I read about in the UK a few years ago in one of the fathers for justice campaigns-

A husband and wife divorced and the family house was left with the mother and child, the father moved out into his own place. Due to financial restrictions, circumstances and the cost of the divorce he could only afford a bedsit. In terms of the child custody it was stated that he could see his daughter for a certain number of days a week but she was not allowed to stay over, the reason being that he only had a bedsit and therefore in would be 'inappropriate'. Understandably the father was disgusted at the suggestion that it was inappropriate, I am not a father but I can only imagine the anger if someone suggested that it would be inappropriate to have your OWN daughter over to stay.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Very harsh on the parent as they had asked for a twin room and were then offered a double as an alternative.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were same sex or opposite sex to me or even a work colleague of either sex if it ment I didn't have to sleep on the floor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Kids are grown up now and situation never arose but I doubt I would have done with her at 13, mostly because she would have freaked out at that age !!! I'd have kipped on the floor.

Can see why the hotel reported it - presumably couldn't have been sure it was father/daughter. Sad though.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I've certainly stayed in tents with adults, as a child. And I've shared a bed with my mum as adults.
The b&b were possibly right to question though.
Tricky.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would not sleep in a double bed with my 13 year old daughter,because my 19 year old did not want to back then, but dependent where i was staying,i would without hesitation book a double room if it was just me and her-i am responsible for her health and welfare at that age for christ sake..

Sleep on the floor-

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I've got an eleven year old and don't think twice about it, regularly do when we're travelling or staying at friends. I can't imagine it being any different when she's 13.

I can only assume the 'no' voters don't have children?

This,this and this.

I'm currently sharing a hotel bedroom with my 12 year old daughter.Twin beds but would make no difference if a double bed. Call the cops!!

I cannot believe some of the responses on this thread but now appreciating the healthy modern relationship with my 2 girls I hadnt previously given a second thought to, that some on here sadly don't seem to have.

Last time I looked this is 2017 not 1950 people!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I have a 13 yo daughter and would not think twice about sharing a bed with her. Her mother regularly stays in hotels with her, often in double beds, and has never had the police called!

larus

Funny how not a single person on this thread appears to have asked their kid - aged somewhere between 11 and 16 - what THEIR preference is? ???

Guess you didn't read my post then. My daughter had a bed and CHOSE to sleep in the bed I was sleeping in. Yes, I slept on top with part of the quilt, but it clearly was her choice.

The differences on here I feel are down to peoples own comfort zones/views. Some people won't feel comfortable watching certain TV programs with their kids if there's sex involved. Me, I don't care - I'm not dumb enough to think that I'm protecting them from the big, bad world, so I am very relaxed and, I hope, reasonably open wth them. Others won't be way and will be more 'conservative'. I guess those will be the ones who would find it unnatural behaviour.

When my daughter chose to sleep in my bed, it actually made me feel good that she was that comfortable around me. As I said in the original post, whe had grown up with her mum, and although we saw each other regularly, the relationship is different to that when you're around all the time.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think it's overreacting from the hotel even if they believed it was not a father/daughter. My impression would be that someone who sexually abused minors would be very aware that what they were doing is illegal, and would try to avoid arousing suspicion.

For anyone whose worked with juveniles and is familiar with child protection aka "safeguarding" you'll have been trained that it is not your responsibility to resolve a potential issue, you merely have a duty to report your suspicions and let the professionals deal with - quite definitely the, "better safe than sorry" approach.

Fully agree with the common theme with others that this is a sad reflection on the society we live in today.

My girls are 21 & 25 now - I can only recall once in the past when they were about 10 and 14 and the 3 of us stayed a couple of nights in a family room at a B&B - the girls shared the double and I made do with the single - we each got dressed / undressed in the loo.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Havent read the whole thread but why didnt you include the word daughter in your pole?i

Opps just re read the pole... too drunk after qpr win....

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Just to add my daughter is just over 2 now and inhope we have a relationship where this would not be and issue.

It won't be! Enjoy every minute. Ignore the dinosaurs (that coming from a 50 year old in a couple of months).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here