Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of the Goldstone

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The metal numerical boards placed in front of the alphabet (corresponding match as per the programme) along the pitch side hoardings to show the half-times elsewhere.....and the pesky kids switching them all around. :whistle::whistle:

Not forgetting matey selling monkey nuts and the lovely sweet pipe tobacco smoke.

Those light blue disabled drivers cars in the corners.

A shed in the NW car park, selling a variety of programmes and badges.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arriving for an evening game. My mum lived in Avondale Road so plenty of easy parking, then a walk down to the Goldstone with the lights shining out over Old Shoreham Road. Yeah the Amex is amazing but somehow I've never recaptured the 'buzz' I got walking down to the old ground.

You could see the floodlights miles away.

My second ever game was the 2-0 division 3 win over Palace in Feb76, under lights on a Tuesday evening. Hooked for life.

33,000 jam packed in, plus the 1,000's not put through the books by Bamber & Pavey. BHAFC were and are huge.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Proper footballs, I think BHA only owned about 3. One for the forwards/'keeper and 1 for the defenders/midfielders to pass amongst each other.

Other one was 'bestie' for the match itself.

Mitre-Delta1.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
3 lasting memories

A goal scored by Alec Dawson into the South Goal on very heavy muddy pitch pouring with rain and he dived to head a ball that was about 12 inches off the ground.
Promotion from Div III(South) arrived at 4.30 for a 7.30 kick off and sat around the pitch.
v Bristol Rovers got held up in traffic so arrived a few minutes late and as i went through the turnstiles cheer went up and I said to the man a goal down already to which he replied that is the 3rd IIRC we lost the game 3.- 1

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
3 lasting memories

A goal scored by Alec Dawson into the South Goal on very heavy muddy pitch pouring with rain and he dived to head a ball that was about 12 inches off the ground.
Promotion from Div III(South) arrived at 4.30 for a 7.30 kick off and sat around the pitch.
v Bristol Rovers got held up in traffic so arrived a few minutes late and as i went through the turnstiles cheer went up and I said to the man a goal down already to which he replied that is the 3rd IIRC we lost the game 3.- 1

The Watford game kicked off at 6.15

You do realise this thread is 18 months old, right?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You could see the floodlights miles away.

My second ever game was the 2-0 division 3 win over Palace in Feb76, under lights on a Tuesday evening. Hooked for life.

33,000 jam packed in, plus the 1,000's not put through the books by Bamber & Pavey. BHAFC were and are huge.

Not sure you can put the blame solely on Bamber & Pavey, I was lifted over the turnstiles every time I went as a kid throughout the 70s - and some cash was always exchanged.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here