Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Memories of the Goldstone

SteveBailey

Apr 6, 2017
Hi all,

I'm collecting fans' memories of the Goldstone Ground for a eight-page supplement which will be in the Brighton & Hove Independent later this month.

Some of the favourite memories I've got so far include Fans United, George Parris creeping up on the Bristol Rovers keeper to score, Bryan Wade's four goals, the Millwall play-off match, a 3-3 draw with Bournemouth, 36,000 fans watching a game with Fulham and obviously the final game with Doncaster.

If anything sticks out in your mind - funny, sad, happy or strange - let me know.

I'm also looking for fan pictures of the Goldstone - I know if was before the day of cameras on phones but if you have any, please send them over to steve.bailey@jpress.co.uk

Also in the supplement will be interviews with Steve Gritt and Stuart Storer, plus several other players (nine of the squad so far) recall the final game at the Goldstone.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hi all,

I'm collecting fans' memories of the Goldstone Ground for a eight-page supplement which will be in the Brighton & Hove Independent later this month.

Some of the favourite memories I've got so far include Fans United, George Parris creeping up on the Bristol Rovers keeper to score, Bryan Wade's four goals, the Millwall play-off match, a 3-3 draw with Bournemouth, 36,000 fans watching a game with Fulham and obviously the final game with Doncaster.

If anything sticks out in your mind - funny, sad, happy or strange - let me know.

I'm also looking for fan pictures of the Goldstone - I know if was before the day of cameras on phones but if you have any, please send them over to steve.bailey@jpress.co.uk

Also in the supplement will be interviews with Steve Gritt and Stuart Storer, plus several other players (nine of the squad so far) recall the final game at the Goldstone.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

Are you basically farming out your job, and then taking all the credit and pay for this venture you wish us to partake in ??

Sorry I am in a very cynical mood this morning..

SteveBailey

Apr 6, 2017
Not at all, I've spoken to players and fans for their memories of the Goldstone already and am looking for more (as there will be a page of favourite memories). I messaged Bozza this morning and posting on here seemed one of the best ways to get more...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
:lolol: at the above guy

Loved the Goldstone. I guess my favourite memories are personal ones, my dad making a me a stool and bringing it along to our usual spot on the East Stand; cold winter evenings walking to the game across Hove Park with the lights and the noise in the distance; that first view at the top of the North Stand steps of the impossibly-green pitch bathed in floodlights; the tinny rendition of GOSBTS as the players sprinted out; the 'Seagulls' chants at every corner. They're not specific to any one game or season, just the familiar essence of the Goldstone that is still with me today.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
September 1992, League Cup. Brighton 1 Man Utd 1.

The game obviously stands out because of the illustrious opposition, but it also saw the Man Utd debut for one David Beckham, as a sub - to which the crowd shouted 'who?'!

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
To many to mention, good and bad but among them. The arrival of Cough & Taylor at the little old Goldstone 73/74 wow, closely followed by the 2-8 mauling by the Bristol Rovers duo Warboys and Bannister
Malcolm Alison and his fedora hat V Palarse the night the Seagulls chant was born
Peter Wards England U21 Hatrick

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of my fondest memories was when I scored in the North Stand goal.

It was shortly after a reserve game. A right foot volley from around 10 yards, with a bald tennis ball. Went straight through the back of the net and bounced up the North Stand terrace. I turned around with arms aloft to an imaginary crowd, until some bloke shouted "OI", and I ran off (without my ball).

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Anyone remember Joe Corrigans' debut when the ball bounced in front of him and then over his head and straight into the goal at the North stand end.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nigel Erskine's "Klinsman Dive" after banging the ball in the North Stand net before a game. As Nige skidded on his stomach across the penalty area mud, his shorts got stuck in said mud, but Nige carried on, leaving his shorts behind him!

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Gotsmanov celebrating a goal BEFORE rounding the keeper and putting the ball in the net.

Hans Kray bouncing in front of the keeper in the north goal, and the North stand bouncing in time.

Gerry Ryan's goal against Liverpool into the North goal after running from the half way line.

Climbing up the steps at the back of the North stand for an evening match. When the floodlit pitch came into view at the top of the steps, with the crowd in the stand in front always sent a shiver down my spine.

Bunking over the wall to get into the Sold out Derby County cup game. (Can't remember when). There was a big bloke boosting poeple over the West wall, and there was a queue waiting to be boosted.

Going in at half time a dissapointing 2-2 against York, then scoring 5 goals in the second half.

Being run out of the North stand by Tottenham

Being run out of the North stand by Millwall

And many many more.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Scoring 10 against Wisbech in the cup and then 9 against Southend in the league a week later

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Liverpool in division one. There was no roof on the north stand, it was pissing down with rain, we were 1-3 down at half time, came back to 3-3 at full time. Soaking wet, singing "3-1 down and we drew three-all".

Oh, and I was wearing a very yellow cagoule with two black stripes down the sleeves.

That's some memories of mine.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Norman Wisdom leading the crowd in a rendition of Sussex By The Sea rewritten by himself.
Repercussions to this day as some still sing 'going up to win the cup'.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the bald headed fella with the raffle board at half time

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC1 SE just had a surprisingly long article about the Albion, with Spencer Vignes new book out: Bloody Southerners about Clough's 1973 tenure.

The best bit for me was footage of the Goldstone at the time and the huge Chicken Run. God I loved that ground. For those that followed the Albion by 1997, part of us will always be the Goldstone.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The metal numerical boards placed in front of the alphabet (corresponding match as per the programme) along the pitch side hoardings to show the half-times elsewhere.....and the pesky kids switching them all around. :whistle::whistle:

Not forgetting matey selling monkey nuts and the lovely sweet pipe tobacco smoke.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Arriving for an evening game. My mum lived in Avondale Road so plenty of easy parking, then a walk down to the Goldstone with the lights shining out over Old Shoreham Road. Yeah the Amex is amazing but somehow I've never recaptured the 'buzz' I got walking down to the old ground.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here