Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump Bombs Syria

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
59 Tomahawk cruise missiles to take out 1 base seems a bit extreme. Gonna be some collateral damage for sure.
Why?... you can target a Tomahawk missile to fly through a specific window..... they have taken out every building apart from the Russian section.... it's called precision.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Why?... you can target a Tomahawk missile to fly through a specific window..... they have taken out every building apart from the Russian section.... it's called precision.....

Actually I'll be honest I have no idea how powerful a cruise missile is. My feeling was that they produce a pretty big bang. If they have more precise smaller payloads I'm happy to be educated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Is it still called 'precision' when fired by an American?

Dec 29, 2011
This is a ****ing joke. The war in Syria would be long over by now if America hadn't got involved by filling the country with weapons which 'happened' to find their way to ISIS. Just as the war is looking to be winding down with Syria and Russia in control, supposedly Syria carry out a random chemical weapons attack and now America have free reign to bomb Sryia with public support. America and the west condemn the chemical attack and multiple terrorist attacks throughout Europe, but these things wouldn't have happened if they hadn't armed the rebels. My heart goes out to the civilians of Sryia who have had their lives ruined because the world powers want a game of chess in their country.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Assad needs taking out.....Stick a cruise missile in his palace.....Have you all seen horrific pictures of families and children after vile chemical attack.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
They tipped the Russians of , it was very exspesive message to send to a very nasty regime.
The ruskies have a lot of blood on its hands and they are holding a World Cup.
Just remember how many pepole died in Europe and the world because we were slow o react to that little Austrain, however I think we were still recovering from the Great War unfortunately not a very good name for huge waste of life.
We are living in a very dangerous world.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's a catch 22.....Chemical weapons are a no no although theoretically what's the difference between chemicals or bombs as they both kill loads.Personally I wish we westerners would just pull out and leave the Middle East to it as it's impossible to get peace in those parts due to so many religious factions.
Strange how nobody goes to North Korea mmmmm

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Cruise missiles give you a lot of bang for your buck.

I actually just looked it up, most of them have 1000lb payloads of high explosive. Funny thing is that doesn't really tell me much as I have no idea how much damage 1000lb of modern era high explosive can do! I think I'll leave this one to the ex-military guys and shut up now.

:thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Air strikes- Good.

Monumental foreign policy change in 48 hours- Disturbing

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
call my cynical but I tend to look at who benefits from all of this, in theory two 'winners' emerge: Russia and the US.

Trump's approval ratings are shocking and overseas action of this sort is a nice way to control the media and shore up on the bad press. Forget the wall, Obamacare etc oh and especially the Russians. After all this was against Russia, wasn't it? We need to make sure those rumours about Russia are bolstered against, something I'll come to later.

Assad and Russia have always had an uneasy alliance and even more so since he's started winning. The two rely on each other and the recent turnaround has seen Putin's value to Assad weaken.

Firstly this serves as a nice reminder from Putin to Assad of what can happen if they don't play ball with him (i.e. we'll let the Americans or whomever in). The west coast of Syria has a network of Russian SAMs set up which was one of the first things Putin did when invited over the border by Assad. The reason was simple, stop anything flying over or fired over from the Med which was the obvious route. Modern military maxim is to control the skies, this was a clear way of deterring this.

The SAMs could have taken many of the Tomahawks down, if not all of them. But it didn't, in fact is stepped down and whistled as the missiles flew overhead. It allowed the US free air space to give Assad a gentle reminder of what happens when Putin isn't happy.

The lead up to this was also very civilised in being observed by both sides (US and Russia). The standard deconflict procedure is to inform other sides you are technically allied with (or avoiding hitting) where you are going to be. The US did this with the airbase, telling Russia when and where, again Russia politely said thank you and moved their assets away. This isn't always observed, remember at the beginning of the war Putin was posting Russian military 'advisers' at key strategic points for Assad, ensuring that they wouldn't be hit by French/US etc in a similar manner. Thus far Putin has freed the airspace up for the US and now leaves the door open.

You could extend this further, Trump is being given a shoeing for Russian ties and, if we assume that Putin really does like Trump in office, what better way than to create a situation where it looks like the two countries have indirectly collided over an issue? Cue outrage from the Kremlin and hopes that this situation will be cited to counter the stories of Trump being too cosy with him.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Syria did use chemical weapons it was a proportional response but everything has got pinned on Assad for the last 6 years. Out of previous claims of chemicals being used 3 or 4 were proved to have been rebels and the other one they claim was Assad. I guess one of them had to be Assad after making the claim that they were all his ???

It's not such a clever strike if it was the rebels Al-Nusra or ISIS who may have had it stored on the front line or used them. One witness of the chemical attack said they heard the rocket come in, but unfortunately bombs dropped from aircraft are not rockets or missiles and they are silent.

I'm not convinced that Assad used chemical weapons because it serves no advantage, but if he did, he won't do it again, and if another chemical event hapens we can be certain that it was the Syrian opposition.

Anyway the liberal left and regime change fanatics are licking Trumps ringpiece this morning and Daesh and other extremist groups are celebrating too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did anyone else notice on the news last night that the footage of Trump briefing the press on Air Force One was him kind of leaning round the corner into where presumably the press were sat, and they were watching Star Wars Rogue One on the screen which was next to Trump's head. So he's giving this impromptu briefing 'chemical weapons bad, gonna bomb them...', while the empire are visiting Darth Vader in his attractive volcanic lava planet retreat...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Did anyone else notice on the news last night that the footage of Trump briefing the press on Air Force One was him kind of leaning round the corner into where presumably the press were sat, and they were watching Star Wars Rogue One on the screen which was next to Trump's head. So he's giving this impromptu briefing 'chemical weapons bad, gonna bomb them...', while the empire are visiting Darth Vader in his attractive volcanic lava planet retreat...

:lolol: No I didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here