Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Using Books For Reference - Encyclopedias Dictionaries Atlases etc.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think there is still a place for books - just not general reference books.

There's nothing better than reading a decent novel for instance on the beach or in the park - whereas reading an ebook would be difficult in the sunshine etc.

Absolutely,was thinking more along the lines of the general books.

I personally have never been a reader of novels or fiction,even from school age,the missus is though and even she seems to be reading her kindle more than the actual paper versions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think there is still a place for books - just not general reference books.

I still have the Shorter Oxford Dictionary that I got for winning Challenge - two hefty volumes so it's not that shorter. Besides, one of them was autographed by Bambi, how could I get rid of that?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I still have the Shorter Oxford Dictionary that I got for winning Challenge - two hefty volumes so it's not that shorter. Besides, one of them was autographed by Bambi, how could I get rid of that?

Absolutely. I'm not for disposing of reference books I just don't tend to use them anymore.

I still have a Pears Encyclopedia for winning the Junior Woodwork prize at Hove Grammar in 1967.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was not asked for reference books very often when I owned my book shop - the one person who did ask is one of the best comedy writers of all time who was visiting the area whilst making a film. He wanted the Shorter Oxford Dictionary too. Sadly I could not oblige, but I did arrange for him to borrow one from the local school so all was well in the end.
What an exciting time us booksellers have! :rolleyes:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Youngest came back from primary (some years ago) and said he had to research Islam. I went to get encyclopedia, wife went to internet and printed some stuff out. I am still waiting for MI5 to knock on the door and ask why we were downloading such extreme literature.

As to maps, I always use them when walking. They do not run out of battery, go out of range or break when you drop them. And they are a thing of beauty.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was not asked for reference books very often when I owned my book shop - the one person who did ask is one of the best comedy writers of all time who was visiting the area whilst making a film. He wanted the Shorter Oxford Dictionary too. Sadly I could not oblige, but I did arrange for him to borrow one from the local school so all was well in the end.
What an exciting time us booksellers have! :rolleyes:

When I was a bookseller I was once asked for a copy of James Joyce Is Useless.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Came across an old atlas of mine at my mum's recently. Used to love it, but Google Earth/streetview have taken things to a new level. It looked so dated, whereas 20 years ago I thought it was amazingly detailed.

I've recently found myself going back to physical (language) dictionaries though. The internet just throws up too many options, many of which are far to obscure but how are you to know?

I have a kindle too, which I use a lot but have also, started buying physical books again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The internet is a fantastic resource. Not as inaccurate as some would have you believe.
However, maps and reference books are a huge part of my life and I would never fully convert to digital versions of anything. I regular use my Archaeology reference books and maps and was a lifetime subscriber of Nat Geo until 18 months ago when the Murdoch family bought it out ( one of the most unnoticed and utter tragedies of the 21st Century, the world's most high profile climate change deniers running Nat geo!!! I genuinely almost cried).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That seems rather sad. How old is your son?

24. He doesn't have many CDs or DVDs either, everything is online and/or downloaded.

We did try and encourage him to read when he was younger, but he just wasn't interested.

EDIT: Just to add as my original post sounds a bit like we're either uber-modern or a family of complete philistines, my wife and I still own hundreds of books between us - just not general reference books. Or telephone directories.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
24. He doesn't have many CDs or DVDs either, everything is online and/or downloaded.

We did try and encourage him to read when he was younger, but he just wasn't interested.
I'm also 24 and don't read books at all - just can't find the time. I do spend about an hour a day on Wikipedia though, researching interesting stuff. Such a great resource and I feel lucky to be in a generation which takes it for granted.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
All of it - some of it - none of it?

some of it, so I don't find it reliable. I think the internet can be a dangerous place for checking health issues, there are so many dodgy amateurs putting false info out there. I still prefer reading a book to looking at a screen, although I think e-books have their place. I work in publishing so was a bit concerned that e-books would take off, but the opposite has happened, they're actually made printed books more popular .....so hopefully I can pad it out until retirement :)
I also work with people who have school age children and it sounds like everything is online, no text books, no reference books, they probably never actually write ... very depressing

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When I first purchased the family computer back in (1998?) I also spent a fair amount on the CD versions (not even DVD back then) of the Encyclopedia Britannia. At the time it was for my kids who were still at school and they used them a lot. Then along came the internet, slow at first and used only to update the CDs.
Now everything is online, just never sure what is true and what is fake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here