Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Term time Dad loses in the Supreme Court

What 'Free' education is this then or am I missing something? Doesnt the funding for education come from National and Local taxation that everyone pays into whether they are working or not? So how is this education 'Free'?

This,

I fail to see how parents who go out to work and pay their Taxes can have "other people are paying for your childs education" thrown at them.

Jan 30, 2008
I can't.
I clearly can, I just took them in term time.

I don't disagree with the court ruling though. £60 on top of the trip is still a huge saving. Although our school didn't fine us. And our kids attendance is still way over 95%, even with the holiday.
that's not the point ???
regards
DR

D

Deleted member 2719

What annoys me most is that schools shut on a whim and take teaching days away from children when it suits them without any regard to inconvenience to parents. Roles are reversed and parents get fined.

As an example, my kids' school recently had to put two classes in temporary classrooms whilst building works were carried out. Rather than get the teachers to give up two days of their enormous holidays to get the rooms ready, the school shut down entirely for two days. A whole school of parents having to sort out two days childcare. We've got a whole week shutdown in September whilst they move back into the new building. There's then a week in June where there are two inset days and a sports day in one week, plus two days of 'sport' for the remainder of the week. If that isn't an invitation to take your kids out and go on a cheaper holiday when they're learning sod all I don't know what is.

I agree there are double standards, the problem with teachers they generally think they are always right and most will strike on a whim, oh and don't start me on judges!!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Exactly, all these sanctamonius people talking about education seem to be ignoring the fact that a large part of children's 'education' is just childcare, the government has done it's sums and worked out the tax gains and lower social security payments outweigh the cost of school. That's why most of the better performing school systems across Europe start at ages as late as 7, us 4ish! Go figure. If your heavily involved the majority of their early education comes at home, your far better off taking them to experience new cultures if that's the only time you can afford it. But I would say that it's a pity the test case was over something as frivolous as Disney which I don't agree with, visiting relatives is the one thing kids should always be able to do.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forget the test case, the type of people that hoist their children out of school in favour of a holiday will not be the type headed for the foothills of Everest, jungles of Borneo or interacting with lost Amazonian tribes, oh no, they're down in Tenergrief a week early supping on some all inclusive!!!!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So are you saying teachers only have 4 to 6 weeks holiday a year?

No, I did not say that. We have longer holidays but the average working days and work outside of school is much longer than many other jobs. If I compare my job working in an office to teaching for example:

Office job- 9 to 5 with a lunch break, no work outside of those hours. Average 7 hours a day. 25 days holiday a year

Teaching job - 7-6 with a 30 min lunchbreak. Additional duties. Evening marking, planning and preparation. Average 10-12 hours a day. 40 days holiday a year.

If I compare the two jobs then teaching is the far more demanding in terms of man hours over the course of the year. However, we are rewarded with longer holidays which I like so that is fair enough.

If you want an impartial opinion then ask any posters on here that are married to or in a relationship with a teacher to give you an honest answer to the amount of hours they put it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Whilst I can understand the rules, a parent at my daughters school cannot take holidays during the school holidays due to his occupation, he's a bit of stickler to the rules, so due to this his family haven't had a holiday for over 5 years.

Whilst that's his choice and I admire him for it, I can't help thinking his child is missing out on so many potentially wonderful experiences.

My daughter on the other hand has been to 6 different counties in her short life, and has experienced all the different cultures, languages, so many different ways of life, religions etc.

I really dont think education is all about being in the class room and that different life experiences are invaluable.
Just my thoughts and I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Surely this is a bunch of spoilt brats valuing holidays at a higher level of importance than Education. Schools are full of lazy individuals who want life served up on a platter for them, they lack the initiative to excel and push themselves.

America & Australia are two examples of an end of year assessment where unless passed a student has to re-sit the year. I'd love to see that in operation in the UK it might motivate some to apply themselves

It's the parents, and not the children, that are the spoilt brats. But, then again, we do live in an era of infantilism, and the entire individualistic credo is based on childishness.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not comfortable with the government's position that it's down to the head teacher to decide who gets fined and who doesn't.

This will lead to inconsistency: for an identical holiday arrangement some parents will get fined, others at another school will get away scot free.

Who'd be a head teacher?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I did not say that. We have longer holidays but the average working days and work outside of school is much longer than many other jobs. If I compare my job working in an office to teaching for example:

Office job- 9 to 5 with a lunch break, no work outside of those hours. Average 7 hours a day. 25 days holiday a year

Teaching job - 7-6 with a 30 min lunchbreak. Additional duties. Evening marking, planning and preparation. Average 10-12 hours a day. 40 days holiday a year.

If I compare the two jobs then teaching is the far more demanding in terms of man hours over the course of the year. However, we are rewarded with longer holidays which I like so that is fair enough.

If you want an impartial opinion then ask any posters on here that are married to or in a relationship with a teacher to give you an honest answer to the amount of hours they put it.

Thank you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Oh :blush:

Listening to the news, I just thought it was £60 and thought 'Just pay them and damn their insolence'.

We've got 16 million in this country that don't have £100 in the bank.

There are families who's only chance of a holiday is the £9 deal in the Sun, their whole holiday could cost £100 so £60 is a big deal.

From my own experience, my child suffered a year of disruption by the school caused by poor school recruitment. With common sense a few days here and there isn't going to wreck my kids life chance, far more likely to be effected by this wreckless cuts going on in education right now

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I agree there are double standards, the problem with teachers they generally think they are always right and most will strike on a whim, oh and don't start me on judges!!

Most people who hate teachers and judges seem to have an issue with authority. These are often the same people who spend football matches shouting at stewards or think that all police officers are scum.

Easy to do this stereotyping nonsense isn´t it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

If you actually knew anything about industrial relations, rather than what has been force-fed you by certain newspapers (which might explain the judges remark too), you'd be aware that teachers no longer go on strike at a whim. And as for a teacher who thinks they're wrong, is that what you're advocating for the class room?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We've got 16 million in this country that don't have £100 in the bank.

There are families who's only chance of a holiday is the £9 deal in the Sun, their whole holiday could cost £100 so £60 is a big deal.
Yep, hopefully they'd just write to the council explaining that they understood the policy, but they simply couldn't afford the fine, and provide some evidence. Hopefully they council would see sense.

From my own experience, my child suffered a year of disruption by the school caused by poor school recruitment. With common sense a few days here and there isn't going to wreck my kids life chance, far more likely to be effected by this wreckless cuts going on in education right now
Indeed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not comfortable with the government's position that it's down to the head teacher to decide who gets fined and who doesn't.

This will lead to inconsistency: for an identical holiday arrangement some parents will get fined, others at another school will get away scot free.

Who'd be a head teacher?

You've persuaded me, but isn't this the entire logic of the government's education agenda?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

1) I have been teaching for 15 years and not been on strike as I think my work conditions have been good
2) If you do strike then you do not get paid for that day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Are you 100% sure of that? I knew many office workers who would finish off a job leaving, or get in early, without any overtime. Don't judge someone til you've walked a mile in their shoes.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I've been a teacher and left the profession. This is all true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here