Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch RIP

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Really good tribute to him on the club site. His heritage after all the hard work is a club in great shape, with a true sense of its worth and true loyalty to its fans.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The amount of work he got through on behalf of us all and the club was outstanding. Tenacious and committed. Aside from the war years and then Withdean and Falmer campaigns, there were those extras he felt he had to do. Why the litter patrol? Because no one else will likely do it, so I must was his response. He took his SOL duties seriously, I'm sure we got a bit rowdy at times, but he took it in good spirit. I've some photos somewhere of us all on an Albion pub crawl - visit every pub in London called The Albion on a summer Saturday. I vaguely recall Herr Tubthumper attempting to commander the Woolwich ferry, but that is another tale. Rest In Peace Paul, thanks for the memories and all the work to save our club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps that pub crawl should be repeated this summer as one tribute to Paul?
I was never on more than nodding terms with Paul but his reputation as a campaigner, stalwart fan and ale drinker was legendary. RIP fella.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You have put far better something I was attempting to do last evening, top work, class act.

Thank you. You are very kind. I never knew Paul, but I remember the effort and energy he put in. I'm reaping the rewards of what he and others did.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Without people like Paul Whelch, and the many others that did so much to raise awareness of what was being done to our club - you know who you are - there would be no Amex; there would be no hope of promotion to the top flight.

Everything we are experiencing now; every emotion, is thanks to people like Paul.

Yes, Dick Knight stepped in and did amazing work with Martin Perry in steering the club through dark years and back to Brighton. Yes Tony Bloom has done amazing things in building the club up and in retaining so much of the culture that is important to Brighton - a true fan. But, without those original campaign heroes, there would be nothing at Falmer but a field with cows grazing in it. We'd be passing the Goldstone retail park each day and banging the steering wheel in anger and with regret. Our youngsters would be wearing Chelsea shirts and never believing that Brighton ever had a team that played at Wembley.

People like Paul Whelch, Sarah Watts, Roy Chuter and others saved this club. They don't need a statue or a plaque or anything like that, but they deserve to live long in our memories.

That brought a tear to my eye. Lots of lovely tributes to a bloke I was aware of but,sadly, never met. Remembering Sarah and Roy also today.We really do have some exceptional people amongst us to whom we should be forever grateful. I am in awe of them all. RIP Paul, you will be terribly missed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The amount of work he got through on behalf of us all and the club was outstanding. Tenacious and committed. Aside from the war years and then Withdean and Falmer campaigns, there were those extras he felt he had to do. Why the litter patrol? Because no one else will likely do it, so I must was his response. He took his SOL duties seriously, I'm sure we got a bit rowdy at times, but he took it in good spirit. I've some photos somewhere of us all on an Albion pub crawl - visit every pub in London called The Albion on a summer Saturday. I vaguely recall Herr Tubthumper attempting to commander the Woolwich ferry, but that is another tale. Rest In Peace Paul, thanks for the memories and all the work to save our club.

The litter patrol is the thing that REALLY stands out for me.

Sure, uncovering the change to the articles was a seismic moment in the history of the club, and the campaigns and marches and everything were higher profile, but to devote your post-match downtime for all those years to something as mundane and unfeted as picking up crisp packets, for no reward, but the good of OUR club - the true mark of the man. :bowdown:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit disconcerting to see a headline of "Tributes pour in as selfless Albion fan dies at 57", followed by a picture prominently featuring oneself.

It's a good photo of you though! Having seen the photos I realise I did know him vaguely, but more as a nodding acquaintance.Hope him and Roy Chuter are having a heavenly pint right now.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
That brought a tear to my eye. Lots of lovely tributes to a bloke I was aware of but,sadly, never met. Remembering Sarah and Roy also today.We really do have some exceptional people amongst us to whom we should be forever grateful. I am in awe of them all. RIP Paul, you will be terribly missed.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I started crying too. Paul, Sarah and Roy have left us a legacy that I can barely find words to describe. They were people who demonstrated their passion so vocally, worked tirelessly without seeking reward and never gave up hope.

During the dark days there was much talk of a whole generation of children growing up without a local football team to support. Even though my children didn't live in Sussex, I was desperate for them join me in supporting the Albion. Thanks to NSC those children who are now in their late teens & early twenties can read about our dark days and, hopefully, give thanks to Paul, Sarah, Roy and countless others, for being able to support our wonderful club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I was only thinking about him yesterday and wondering about his recovery.Truly shocked and a bit shaken to hear this very sad news. Most of all I'm just so sad that Paul won't get to see his beloved club which he did so much to ensure its survival, get promoted back to the top flight.

RIP Paul. One of THE fan greats we all owe such an enormous debt to. Heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends.

Me too mate. Was taking about him with a bloke on the train down Tuesday night. And he died the evening of a SOL meeting. Top bloke, very very sad passing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Couldn't have a been a better tribute.

Win in London for Paul.

Seagulls all over London tonight.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here