Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch RIP

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We are very sad to hear of the death this evening of Albion fan and legendary campaigner Paul Whelch.

Paul was twice a guest on The Albion Roar - most notably in 2011 on the day the Amex opened.

He was one of the 'three Pauls' (along with Paul Samrah and Paul Bracchi) who initially uncovered the 'Articles of Association' scandal which pre-dated the sale of The Goldstone Ground in 1995. He was a tenacious and dedicated fan, determined to get to the root of the issues surrounding the sale, and to launch the campaign to get the club back.

On a personal level, I found Paul a fun and funny person, especially when he didn't mean to be, and a kind person - usually in the Evening Star.

Many others on here knew him better, and will tell their stories of his hard work during 'The War Years'. One thing is clear - on the eve of one of the club's greatest achievements, we have lost one of our most committed and dearest fellow supporters - and all fans (whether they were 'there' or not) should be in no doubt as to his contribution to the fans' efforts to rid the club of Archer and Bellotti.

Brighton & Hove Albion has lost a true and dedicated fan, and the club is a little poorer in soul tonight.

To his family and friends, our sincerest condolencies.

To Paul Whelch - a heartfelt thank you for all your hard work, and may you rest in peace.

Cheers, Al

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Very nicely written. Anybody would be proud to hear those words said about them.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sad news: a dedicated fighter for the club, back in the dark days. RIP

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A big loss.

Thoughts are with his friends and family

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We are very sad to hear of the death this evening of Albion fan and legendary campaigner Paul Whelch.

Paul was twice a guest on The Albion Roar - most notably in 2011 on the day the Amex opened.

He was one of the 'three Pauls' (along with Paul Samrah and Paul Bracchi) who initially uncovered the 'Articles of Association' scandal which pre-dated the sale of The Goldstone Ground in 1995. He was a tenacious and dedicated fan, determined to get to the root of the issues surrounding the sale, and to launch the campaign to get the club back.

On a personal level, I found Paul a fun and funny person, especially when he didn't mean to be, and a kind person - usually in the Evening Star.

Many others on here knew him better, and will tell their stories of his hard work during 'The War Years'. One thing is clear - on the eve of one of the club's greatest achievements, we have lost one of our most committed and dearest fellow supporters - and all fans (whether they were 'there' or not) should be in no doubt as to his contribution to the fans' efforts to rid the club of Archer and Bellotti.

Brighton & Hove Albion has lost a true and dedicated fan, and the club is a little poorer in soul tonight.

To his family and friends, our sincerest condolencies.

To Paul Whelch - a heartfelt thank you for all your hard work, and may you rest in peace.

Cheers, Al

Nice words AL, RIP PW

I'm sad to hear this news, although it comes as no surprise. Paul was a good friend, as well as an Albion supporter who always went the extra mile to help the Club in times of need. He never sought thanks, but he deserves to be remembered as one of the heroes of the struggle. He will be missed.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
RIP Paul

I didn't know you personally but you helped save a club I love and have given me the opportunity to take my son to matches with me which is one of my most treasured things.

So thank you and enjoy watching the games up there

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Legend does not even cover it, the club would be not be where it is today without him. I will miss his pramatic approach to life, there will be another empty space at the bar.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Such sad news, RIP to one of the great guys.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's a shock because he was fighting, but not a surprise when you consider the health issues he had. He did so much for the club.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was thinking about him on Saturday.

I've met many fans over the years but for me Paul was number one.

Openly critical if he didn't agree with something, Paul had the unique ability of maintaining contact with successive owners whilst resolutely maintaining the independent stance of the fan.

I always found him very political in a hugely positive way.

If we go up, I dedicate it to Paul.

He loved this club so much.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
RIP - I was in the same year as him when we were at Brighton Hove and Sussex Grammar. Such a shame he didn't get to see us at the so called promised land. Without him we might never have got there[emoji45]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Paul, thoughts go to his family and friends.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here