Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch RIP

An example to us all

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
What a shame he was not allowed just a bit more time. That sucks. Wonderful to be remembered fondly by many and to have made a real difference to many who don't even know it. Many thanks and rip. Best wishes to his family and friends.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Very sad news.

We have the chance to see a great future ahead for the Albion only because we have been standing on the shoulders of giants like Paul.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Desperately sad news.
I'm on my way home from Seagulls over London meeting tonight.
If only we had we heard this news during.

PW lived for the Albion. Without his efforts in the war who knows where we'd be.

That baggy green deserves a place in the museum

And I'll miss him on a personal level on the last No.27 home from The Evening Star

RIP Paul

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
A quiet man equipped with a forensic brain, Paul never sought any limelight for himself. But he made it his business to ensure that those who did, and whose corrupt activities nearly brought about the death of the Albion, were exposed and held fully accountable for their despicable and fraudulent actions. And for that we should all be forever grateful.

Whether at Seagulls over London, Falmer For All, the Evening Star or The Swan, Paul was always a good bloke to have around. Such a shame he won't now be seeing the Albion's Premier League dream become reality.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was only thinking about him yesterday and wondering about his recovery.Truly shocked and a bit shaken to hear this very sad news. Most of all I'm just so sad that Paul won't get to see his beloved club which he did so much to ensure its survival, get promoted back to the top flight.

RIP Paul. One of THE fan greats we all owe such an enormous debt to. Heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I didn't know him, only of him, but extremely sad to hear of his passing.

What an absolute tragedy after his years of endeavour and commitment that he has been denied seeing his beloved club reach the promised land. R.I.P. Paul Whelch.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure I ever met him but probably did. We so need to do this for the Paul's and the Roy's of this phase. So many battles so many knock backs but we have to do it for these people. Then we'll drink and then we'll raise glasses. RIP man.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We are very sad to hear of the death this evening of Albion fan and legendary campaigner Paul Whelch.

Paul was twice a guest on The Albion Roar - most notably in 2011 on the day the Amex opened.

He was one of the 'three Pauls' (along with Paul Samrah and Paul Bracchi) who initially uncovered the 'Articles of Association' scandal which pre-dated the sale of The Goldstone Ground in 1995. He was a tenacious and dedicated fan, determined to get to the root of the issues surrounding the sale, and to launch the campaign to get the club back.

On a personal level, I found Paul a fun and funny person, especially when he didn't mean to be, and a kind person - usually in the Evening Star.

Many others on here knew him better, and will tell their stories of his hard work during 'The War Years'. One thing is clear - on the eve of one of the club's greatest achievements, we have lost one of our most committed and dearest fellow supporters - and all fans (whether they were 'there' or not) should be in no doubt as to his contribution to the fans' efforts to rid the club of Archer and Bellotti.

Brighton & Hove Albion has lost a true and dedicated fan, and the club is a little poorer in soul tonight.

To his family and friends, our sincerest condolencies.

To Paul Whelch - a heartfelt thank you for all your hard work, and may you rest in peace.

Cheers, Al

I think that sums it pretty much up about Paul, I meet him just several times in London and he was a as above. The love for the Albion shone through, he is a major figure in our clubs survival.

Thank you Paul, for all your efforts on behalf of myself because you took it that much further and helped save this club on the gusp of something special, I'm sure you will jostle your way to the front for the best view.

Much love and gratitude, may you now rest in peace.

Thoughts to friends and family.

Martin

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Funny memories of litter-picking after games at Withdean under Paul's organisation. He would give you the picker and a bag and then give you your route and remind you how to do it. There was no need for him to do that, because the people who volunteered would have cleared the area without guidance, but he just cared and wanted to know he'd done everything necessary to see the job done well. It was that sort of attention to detail that got the stadium.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We are very sad to hear of the death this evening of Albion fan and legendary campaigner Paul Whelch.

Paul was twice a guest on The Albion Roar - most notably in 2011 on the day the Amex opened.

He was one of the 'three Pauls' (along with Paul Samrah and Paul Bracchi) who initially uncovered the 'Articles of Association' scandal which pre-dated the sale of The Goldstone Ground in 1995. He was a tenacious and dedicated fan, determined to get to the root of the issues surrounding the sale, and to launch the campaign to get the club back.

On a personal level, I found Paul a fun and funny person, especially when he didn't mean to be, and a kind person - usually in the Evening Star.

Many others on here knew him better, and will tell their stories of his hard work during 'The War Years'. One thing is clear - on the eve of one of the club's greatest achievements, we have lost one of our most committed and dearest fellow supporters - and all fans (whether they were 'there' or not) should be in no doubt as to his contribution to the fans' efforts to rid the club of Archer and Bellotti.

Brighton & Hove Albion has lost a true and dedicated fan, and the club is a little poorer in soul tonight.

To his family and friends, our sincerest condolencies.

To Paul Whelch - a heartfelt thank you for all your hard work, and may you rest in peace.

Cheers, Al

Lovely words Al. Sad to hear this news. Thinking of him, his close friends, and his family today.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I probably only knew Paul by sight but am aware of what he did for us. RIP

Hopefully the club will recognize his contribution in some way at the Wigan game. I am not a fan of applause during games as it is used too often but if the club do not do anything this is one occasion where we should organize something.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Have known Paul since school boy years and we have sat a few seats from each other at withdean and near each other at the Amex - I miss chatting to him at half time about how the game is going. His love for the club was clear to all, but he could still see the game through less bias than I could!

RIP Paul. Many will miss you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny memories of litter-picking after games at Withdean under Paul's organisation.

He had a few amusing quirks. I always remember sitting with him in a sunny beer garden in Lincoln and a half eaten pork pie came out of one pocket....and a much used tube of Colmans came out of the other. That moment always brings a smile to my face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here