Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion vs Darlington 3rd December 1996 Roll Call.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That was the most angry and violent protest out of the lot. I saw very calm and reasonable people reach breaking point that night.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I was there. Such a pity that case ended up leaving as a laughing stock given all he'd achieved with us

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
The demo was a low point of following the Albion for me, I thought we were going under as we demonstrated. The hierarchy plainly didn't give a shit. Who'd have thunk we'd be where we are now, amazing.

Massive thanks to so many, including you Harty.

Yeah I agree.I was really thinking around this time it really was the end of the club and we were gonna be the next Aldershot and Maidstone United.
If someone wrote a script for a Hollywood Film titled 'The Albion Story 1994-2017' it would get rejected for being to unbelievable for the audience to believe.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I was there. Stood on terrace in west just behind the away dugout. Had an excellent view of the charge of the north stand brigade and Belotti legging it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was there. Stood on terrace in west just behind the away dugout. Had an excellent view of the charge of the north stand brigade and Belotti legging it.

I wonder if there's any footage of this knocking about still?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I was there in the same area as you. I spent most of 77-84 and 92-97 in the same place as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there. One of Albion's goals came off Baird's arse - a perfect metaphor for the quality of our play.

We looked like a pub team that day and I came away thinking that we had no chance of getting out of our losing spiral

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Only missed a handful of home games in 34 years due to the occasional wedding, stag do or family summer holiday.

None of those events coincided with that game, so yes I was there.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, think so

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I remember it well. Not the details of the goals but the memory of leading the game and then still losing to the only team I'd thought would be worse than us.

And then this black depression coming down - we were doomed was how it felt leaving the Goldstone that night.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Why not pick out the 1025 at home to Barnet 5 November 1997 which probably means under 1000 Albion fans,

In a way different times although less than a year later, we'd gone to Hereford and stayed in the League, though we were at Gillingham there was that hope that we would return to Sussex at some point.

As highlighted by some of the excellent posts with some amazing memories, we were at the lowest point at the time of the Darlington game, even the most hardened fan came out of the Goldstone thinking we were truly in the shit with no hope of coming out the other side.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There are few clubs out there that have had experienced such bleak times - these just make the good times even sweeter and more appreciated. We will have good and bad times in the future I am sure, but that's what supporting your local club is all about. What these experiences have reaffirmed is that true supporters will do anything to secure the future of their club. We have many such heroes in our midst (and some have passed) and I hope their names will continue to be associated with the history of our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here