Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the season discussion

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've had so many stand out performers that this is going to be more difficult than ever. Just a month to go now, who stands out?

I really am not going to complain at any of the regular starters at all - Hemed, Murphy, Skalak, Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Sidwell - all absolutely superb, and all would walk into at least 20 starting XI this season I should think.

Stephens - has made us tick all season. If we go up, please Albion, get him signed up. He will be so difficult to replace.
Bruno - how can you not love this man? He oozes class. Make him club captain even if he is only cover in the division above.
Dunk - still has a lot to learn about self discipline but let's not underestimate his worth to this team. Consistently good performer all season, just like the previous five.
Duffy - who'd have thought he'd be so imperious after the first few games of the season for Blackburn and then us? What an upgrade. £4.5m very well spent, at a time when most fans were scratching their heads wondering why we needed to spend that sort of money in an area we had cover
March - what a prospect Solly is - just a joy to watch. He will play for England next season or the season after IMO, because he WILL do it at the highest level in the land.
Knocky - we've run out of superlatives for this guy. On his day, simply unplayable; and his day comes round pretty regularly. I think that covers it.

But here is my top three. Knocky would have been in there if his away form was marginally better:
3. Murray. Where would we be without his goals? Where would we be if Gus hadn't put his foot down over Murray's now proven justifiable wage demands? A Premier league striker who loves being here. There is nothing spectacular about Murray, he just holds the ball up brilliantly, and knows where the goal is. Everything you want in a striker. I loved Gus but watching Murray do in the Championship what we all saw he did for Gus in League One just boils my piss. Great player, great for us.
2. Stockdale. I reckon the number of his clangers over the entire season can be counted on one hand and we all know he has saved us many MANY points with some superb displays. Rumour has it Sir Chris isn't entirely convinced by him at the top level, but nevertheless it's hard to see Albion parting with him after a season like this one. This season, he has been the best keeper I've ever seen at the club.
1. Baldock. I've followed this club since 1978 and I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player improve so much in a year and I don't think I ever will. This season he has just been magnificent. I spent all of last season trying to convince people on here he was the best forward we've ever had off the ball. I don't think anyone disagrees with that anymore, but this season his all round forward play has been almost perfect. He has taken chance after chance, and his montage of goals this season will be worth watching over and over again. And most of the goals he gets are important ones - not the third of four or whatever. His openers against Fulham and QPR both stand out as much as his wonderful off the ball running that creates space for others and are the main reason Murray and Knocky have scored so many.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We weren't good without Baldock on Saturday. Infact we rarely are. He simply must be crowned as POTS.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Dunk.

Always solid, championships are won by defenders.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've had so many stand out performers that this is going to be more difficult than ever. Just a month to go now, who stands out?

I really am not going to complain at any of the regular starters at all - Hemed, Murphy, Skalak, Rosenior, Bong, Kayal, Sidwell - all absolutely superb, and all would walk into at least 20 starting XI this season I should think.

Stephens - has made us tick all season. If we go up, please Albion, get him signed up. He will be so difficult to replace.
Bruno - how can you not love this man? He oozes class. Make him club captain even if he is only cover in the division above.
Dunk - still has a lot to learn about self discipline but let's not underestimate his worth to this team. Consistently good performer all season, just like the previous five.
Duffy - who'd have thought he'd be so imperious after the first few games of the season for Blackburn and then us? What an upgrade. £4.5m very well spent, at a time when most fans were scratching their heads wondering why we needed to spend that sort of money in an area we had cover
March - what a prospect Solly is - just a joy to watch. He will play for England next season or the season after IMO, because he WILL do it at the highest level in the land.
Knocky - we've run out of superlatives for this guy. On his day, simply unplayable; and his day comes round pretty regularly. I think that covers it.

But here is my top three. Knocky would have been in there if his away form was marginally better:
3. Murray. Where would we be without his goals? Where would we be if Gus hadn't put his foot down over Murray's now proven justifiable wage demands? A Premier league striker who loves being here. There is nothing spectacular about Murray, he just holds the ball up brilliantly, and knows where the goal is. Everything you want in a striker. I loved Gus but watching Murray do in the Championship what we all saw he did for Gus in League One just boils my piss. Great player, great for us.
2. Stockdale. I reckon the number of his clangers over the entire season can be counted on one hand and we all know he has saved us many MANY points with some superb displays. Rumour has it Sir Chris isn't entirely convinced by him at the top level, but nevertheless it's hard to see Albion parting with him after a season like this one. This season, he has been the best keeper I've ever seen at the club.
1. Baldock. I've followed this club since 1978 and I can honestly say I've NEVER seen a player improve so much in a year and I don't think I ever will. This season he has just been magnificent. I spent all of last season trying to convince people on here he was the best forward we've ever had off the ball. I don't think anyone disagrees with that anymore, but this season his all round forward play has been almost perfect. He has taken chance after chance, and his montage of goals this season will be worth watching over and over again. And most of the goals he gets are important ones - not the third of four or whatever. His openers against Fulham and QPR both stand out as much as his wonderful off the ball running that creates space for others and are the main reason Murray and Knocky have scored so many.

Good post. I wouldn't have March in your first list - he hasn't done enough this season to be near the POTS final list for me - I would put him along with Sidwell, Hemed, Murphy, Skalak, Uwe as a critical squad member that has made key contributions (and probably will in the next few games too)

As for POTS, I really don't know and there is still time for some one to jack up their claim (or would be if the voting was sensible and waited until the end of the season). At the moment I wouldn't be unhappy if it went to any one of Stockdale, Murray, Baldock, Stephens, Dunk, Duffy, Bruno or Knocky. Absolutely amazing that we have so many players in the running.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Wasn't this done to death last week?....

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Baldock for me. One of the big differences this year is we have a second striker who now scored goals in addition to the work he does off the ball.

I've also decided Hemed is my favourite player after Saturday. We need him next year for the passion he brings to the squad alone.

Tough call, between Murray (goals), and Knockaert (for his passion, and carrrying on after his dad died).

Safe bet- all of them (provided we get promoted!)

I think Knockaert would probably rather he won an award for his footballing ability this year, rather than what you suggest! What was the alternative after his Dad died, retire?

He's fantastic on his day, but he's too inconsistent away from home to be player of the season. I guess if he played like he can do every week, then he wouldn't be playing for us, so we'll have to accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I actually don't think there should be an individual Player of the Season award this year. On the nameboard, where it says "Player of The Season, 2016-17" it should just say "All of them"

EDIT: And like Simster, I hadn't see a previous thread on this subject.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I actually don't think there should be an individual Player of the Season award this year. On the nameboard, where it says "Player of The Season, 2016-17" it should just say "All of them - but not that Akpom fella, he can go back to London"

Modified for you :D:D:D:D

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazing isn't it? I remember years when it's gone to the likes of Peter Smith and Andrew Whing for being the least bad; now we have half a dozen (or more) serious contenders.

Me? I'd currently vote for Stephens as the man who really makes us tick. It's when he's not there that makes us realise how much he brings. But I wouldn't argue with Stockdale, Bruno, Duffy, Dunk or Baldock ... what riches

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
I actually don't think there should be an individual Player of the Season award this year. On the nameboard, where it says "Player of The Season, 2016-17" it should just say "All of them"

Totally agree - impossible and inappropriate to single out one individual this season

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Was it? Sorry, I wasn't on much last week.

Mods, fee free to merge...

It was done last week, but no-one has provided such an in-depth consideration so I, for one, am grateful for your input. I actually disagree with you, but you might just have persuaded to include Baldock in my top three now. I'd go along with [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], when he indicates that he'd be happy if any of Stockdale, Murray, Baldock, Stephens, Dunk, Duffy, Bruno or Knocky were to get the award. That just goes to show that PotS is problematic this year as, quite clearly, we're the team of the season, whose whole is substantially more than the sum of its parts. I reserve the right to change this in due course, but my top three are:
1. Stockdale -- his distribution and calmness on the ball cannot be under-estimated, but he's pulled off numerous outstanding saves, plenty more competent ones, and has kept out three (or four?) penalties. He's another big personality that has contributed so much to that team ethos.
2. Dunk -- not only consistent, but consistently outstanding, he's kept so many dangerous forwards in his pocket. His distribution is right up there too, and he's getting some will to win, which occasionally can slip over but, let's acknowledge that he's really calmed down over the last few games in order to ward off reaching that 15th booking, and hope that this is the start of things to come.
3. Baldock -- with apologies to Bruno, Murray, Stephens and Duffy, for all the reasons you give. We play 4-4-2, we've got replacements in just about every position with the one exception: step forward, Super Sammy Baldock.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Very difficult this year, but for me, it is Knockaert.

My criteria is not the ultra-rational "who has been the most consistent player home and away, over 46 games", but rather the emotional: who embodies the spirit and quality of this great Albion side, which player above all others leaves me impatient for the next Amex instalment, who exhilarates me with his skill, leaving opposing defenders flailing in his wake - all against the backdrop of personal tragedy and a deep love for his new BHA football family.

I would not blame anyone for voting for the outstanding Stockdale, the imperious Dunk, Murray as the talismanic and prolific front man, a transformed Baldock, or our greatest ever full back, Bruno. But Knocky is right up there with BZ and Ward as the most revered BHA player ever. We will still be talking about him in 30 years time, so will take some stopping in this poll!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here