Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Moyes to be SACKED over comments

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is just fake news lapped up by soft sops. He is not responsible for the behaviour of other men any more than you can be hung out to dry for uhers but mosing capital letters like Hitler did. This is weak identity politics, try and rise above the mindless way of thinking.

He is joking she is laughing, no crime has been committed. And if Sunderland are stupid enough to give him a job after he buggered up Manure then more fool them.

I am in agreement that Moyes is not responsible for the actions of other men. I also agree that no one is responsible for the sins of their fathers but the facts are that a large amount of men who abuse their wives or girlfriends have seen it happen to their own mothers. Some men see violence as a way to keep control.

I would hated to have seen my mother or sisters have that comment made to them.

I agree he has been a shite Manager but this is a separate issue from football.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
It is sexist because SADLY...some women Do get slapped by men, often for just saying things to men that men do not like

Oh OK, i'll take your word for it, although it seems to me men also get slapped by men.
I don't know either of the people (seen moyes interviewed a handful of times, never seen the journo), it came across as condescending to me, like she was new to the job, but not inherently sexist.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
The controversy exists because of the specific words used: "even though you're a woman".

Substitute "woman" for any other minority group and it would likely cause equal offence to those groups; as it would be singling them out as an exception, especially because the comment is accompanied by a patronising tone and a [albeit jokingly] threat of violence.

However the hypocrisy is, and at the same time the reason why it probably doesn't have sexist intent, is that if the exact same phrase was said to a man it would not be questioned. This all comes down to modern political correctness which means that minority groups, including women, have better cultural defences against offences of identity than "majority" white men.

This was my thinking too, well along these lines. The odd thing was the 'even though you're a woman' was probably added as an afterthought to make it understood he was joking...

I don't see this as clear sexism, but then as i said on another post i know very little about the man.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I am in agreement that Moyes is not responsible for the actions of other men. I also agree that no one is responsible for the sins of their fathers but the facts are that a large amount of men who abuse their wives or girlfriends have seen it happen to their own mothers. Some men see violence as a way to keep control.

I would hated to have seen my mother or sisters have that comment made to them.

I agree he has been a shite Manager but this is a separate issue from football.

Women are guilty of vilence as well, why bring it up? If its uncouth or crass behaviour then judge him on that.

The irnony is he said, just because your a woman means you wont get a slap is an egalitarian statement. meaning he would slap a man as wel for...whatever...context...pfffft. Fake news.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Women are guilty of vilence as well, why bring it up? If its uncouth or crass behaviour then judge him on that.

The irnony is he said, just because your a woman means you wont get a slap is an egalitarian statement. meaning he would slap a man as wel for...whatever...context...pfffft. Fake news.

I concede that violence cuts both ways but in the main, it is men inflicting violence on women.

I had a little chuckle about the ''man suggesting to slap a man'' and I don't mean that on a sarcastic way. If a bloke said to another bloke I am going to slap you''. The other bloke would probably say ''**** off'' and punch his lights out

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013

I know when i'm in agreement with looney it's time for bed...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I concede that violence cuts both ways but in the main, it is men inflicting violence on women.

I had a little chuckle about the ''man suggesting to slap a man'' and I don't mean that on a sarcastic way. If a bloke said to another bloke I am going to slap you''. The other bloke would probably say ''**** off'' and punch his lights out

A very good point.

I don't for one minute think that Moyes meant it, but it really does sound a little threatening despite the laughs. He wouldn't have said it to a bloke.

I don't think he should be sacked, but there needs to be a sanction of some sort from the FA. He may think it's banter but it can't be condoned.

Her question wasn't unreasonable either.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Let's flip this on it's head.

If a journalist (male or female) had said the following to moyes:

"The way you answered that first question was a bit naughty, next time you might get a slap!"

The journalists head editor or whoever catches wind if this. Would you expect the journo to still be in the same job?

This takes gender and sexism out of the equation.

If the answer is that journo should be sacked. Then moyes should obviously face the same fate.

Bottom line is that the reporter works in the same industry as moyes, she's less well known, on less money etc but doesn't deserve to be threatened whether in jest or not.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Let's flip this on it's head.

If a journalist (male or female) had said the following to moyes:

"The way you answered that first question was a bit naughty, next time you might get a slap!"

The journalists head editor or whoever catches wind if this. Would you expect the journo to still be in the same job?

This takes gender and sexism out of the equation.

If the answer is that journo should be sacked. Then moyes should obviously face the same fate.

Bottom line is that the reporter works in the same industry as moyes, she's less well known, on less money etc but doesn't deserve to be threatened whether in jest or not.

Just to add something. When I asked my wife how she would have felt and reacted had some bloke said the same thing to her at work she said "I'd probably get the first punch in"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounded like he was just mucking about, to me. You'd need to write down his words and read them back in a very solemn tone for them to be anyway sinister.

That said, total cock to be caught out saying anything that could be used against him in the vicinity of a microphone. And even more of a cock to have humbly apologised. Alluding to a metaphorical slap that could have been taken, by a ****wit, to mean a real threat, is in this day and age far more serious than actually beating the crap out of someone (vide the Croydon racists who will no doubt all get off due to lack of evidence).

And before I get flamed by Milli Tant, this thread is full of facetious posts, which gives a sense of the sin of Begbie . . . nothing to see here.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Agenda by media and politicians to stir it up. An easy target due to SAFC's awful position.

Writers on 5Live and Talksort tonight said that they or colleagues aged been threatened or intimidated far more aggressively by other managers.

Huh, must have just been before I tuned in then, from 9pm onwards on Talksport until about midnight every single pundit or journo said it was a huge mountain out of a molehill.

When I saw the comments written down I was absolutely gobsmacked someone could be so stupid and rude but then after hearing it I have never saw such desperate to be offended nonsense in my life. Shouldn't have said it because it's a pretty silly thing to say but to say it's worth sacking over it's absolutely ludicrous. Oh and if you think this is sexist because he said it to a woman, you're sexist.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
A very good point.

I don't for one minute think that Moyes meant it, but it really does sound a little threatening despite the laughs. He wouldn't have said it to a bloke.

I am pretty sure that if the Journalist had been a male he would have said the exact same thing to a bloke. If she had been a bloke this shit storm would not have happened.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sanitize the world to make sure that no-one ever feels threatened or offended.

We can pontificate on this till the cows come home, but really the only person who should be upset and concerned about this is the woman in questions. He says he has apologised to her and presumably she has accepted this apology so once she has seen a shrink to make sure there are no medium or long term psychological effects maybe we can all move on.

Bloke says something inappropriate, all concerned are generally okay, Bloke apologises for saying something inappropriate, move on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I first read the story and thought "uh oh".

But I then watched the video and it's clearly mucking about. Probably the wrong phrasing on Moyes behalf and rightly will have a word with the FA but ultimately if the reporter says she wasn't offended then just have a word and move on.

Ultimately a bit silly from Moyes but that's it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A bit of ''banter'' ? - I totally disagree

Look at the 3 high profile cases of people making sexist remarks. Andy Gray, Malky Mackay and now David Moyes.

What do they have in common. All Scottish. All supposedly very sorry when they get held to account for it. It is not acceptable.

Scottish people have a great sense of humour and can laugh at ''watching an egg boil'' They are very funny and I like a laugh myself but as soon as you start to target individual groups, in this case due to gender it , for me goes beyond the realms of acceptable humour. And I am not targeting Scottish people. I am Scottish myself and I have a similar sense of humour but it shouldn't be at the expense of individual groups or at the expense of women in general because it sends out the wrong message that women can be spoken to or about like that. They wouldn't want their mothers, wives or sisters spoken to in that way.

I will get my crash helmet for the '' Too PC Accusations'' on this one.

Bit bizarre to try to make it a Scottish thing isn't it ? In the Gray case, Richard Keys was equally culpable and also resigned (and they're both now on presumably whopping tax free salaries presenting PL football in Doha). Jim Davidson has tweeted something entirely unsurprising.

It's just a particular type (and age) of male that hasn't moved on from what was deemed acceptable in the 70s and before.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I do wonder what if the same question was asked of Fergie and would the FA have dared to ask him to explain himself

storm in a teacup,fake news whatever............it was nothing but banter

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a complete non story. How is sexist? Because he said "even though you're a woman"? Have we really got to the age where we have to pretend that women aren't the fairer sex, and they should be equally entitled to a slap as men are?

It's bollocks like this that detracts from actual sexism in the world today, on important things like women not getting paid as much as men. Next it'll be sexist to hold a door open for a woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here