Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falklands '82

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Often wondered what the difference is. I guess they are not wars unless hostilities are officially announced- and I guess that has some sort of diplomatic ramification at UN levels. Just don't know really.

Indeed - it's all about declaring war. We declared war against Nazi Germany in 1939 - we never declared war against the Argies or indeed Saddam.

Well, some people will get offended at anything...

But, for the record no one died retaking south georgia.

Are you sure you're not just upset that he mentioned Thatcher?

The taking of South Georgia was the first step to taking all the islands - a conflict as a whole that took nearly 1000 lives ( 910 ish officially recognised - nearly 80 that aren't including civilians and special forces ).

EDIT - and there were two deaths during the taking of South Georgia by the Argentinian forces.

As for Thatcher - I'm a supporter so I really don't know what you're going on about. That said, she was foolish removing the protection ship for the Falklands but then absolutely correct re-taking the islands by force ( including the sinking of the Belgrano ).

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The sinking of an old 2nd war battleship Belgrano by a British nuclear submarine when it was sailing away from the islands was probably unnecessary and caused the most casualties in the whole war.

Probably the last imperial war of the old empire, unless history will repeat itself to defend the rights of the people of Gibraltar to stay British.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry to be a pedant and all that! The person that I believe you're referring to was Ian McDonald, who was the M.O.D. media spokesman. He was the one with the funereal voice and correct amount of gravitas to announce to the world everything (on a daily basis) that was happening in the Falklands conflict. Some of the stuff was mesmerising because of his dead pan delivery.

You are absolutely right. Not only was it notable for his dead-pan delivery, but also for the frequent lack of any real content! All too often we waited all day with bated breath to learn -------- nothing!

John Nott was the disgraced Minister who was pretty much chased out of office for his bungling of the Falklands situation - his catastrophic actions gave the Argies the idea that they might not be opposed if the muscled in. They were wrong too!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Often wondered what the difference is. I guess they are not wars unless hostilities are officially announced- and I guess that has some sort of diplomatic ramification at UN levels. Just don't know really.

As with the Falklands war, the UK was on its own, whereas the conflicts/wars in the gulf, the UK when in with a multinational contingent.
Percentage wise mostly made up of the US.
Where the US go, we follow, sometimes!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You are absolutely right. Not only was it notable for his dead-pan delivery, but also for the frequent lack of any real content! All too often we waited all day with bated breath to learn -------- nothing!

John Nott was the disgraced Minister who was pretty much chased out of office for his bungling of the Falklands situation - his catastrophic actions gave the Argies the idea that they might not be opposed if the muscled in. They were wrong too!

The Argies had attempted to invade a few of years earlier, when David Owen was Foriegn Seceratary, and Jim Callaghan was PM.

We sent a hunter/killer nuclear submarine (HMS Superb, I think)down south, told the Argentine high command what we had done, they then lost all enthusiasm for the Malvinas, and re-called their fleet, drama over.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The sinking of an old 2nd war battleship Belgrano by a British nuclear submarine when it was sailing away from the islands was probably unnecessary and caused the most casualties in the whole war.

Probably the last imperial war of the old empire, unless history will repeat itself to defend the rights of the people of Gibraltar to stay British.

Once the Belgrano was sunk, no other Argentinian ship engaged in the war. It probably saved a lot of lives.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
My school friend Lance Corporal Chris Lovett 3 Para died on Mount Longdon on the 12th of June 2 days before Argentine surrender just 24 years of age . A great guy with a wife and young family . Gone but never forgotten . Mentioned in Dispatches .
Also will never forget the immediate stunned silence that fell on the Goldstone crowd leaving a midweek fixture as the tannoy announced that HMS Sheffield had been hit by an Exocet missile , truly brought the war home to one and all instead of thousands of miles away . Not out of sight out of mind in an instant . Will never forget the sick feeling in my stomach .

Attachments

• c lovett.jpg
    c lovett.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 240

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And the only one to escape unscathed from Pear Harbour when owned by USA

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
The comedienne Miranda Hart's father was commander of HMS Coventry, lost in the Falklands War. He ,later became a Vice Admiral I believe..

Maybe that's a good way of achieving promotion, to lose your ship!

I used to work with him with the British Navy Staff in Washington - David Hart-Dyke, retired a Captain. He was a genuinely nice man.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It's more a slight at Thatcher really. The Argentine forces surrendered within the hour by all accounts. The way she announced it was so triumphant that, as a youngster, I thought we scored a victory of Somme proportions. What really happened was the Argentines didn't want to fight.

When I think of the Falklands I can't help feel compassion for the Argentine dispatch. Many of them were just conscripted youngsters who really didn't know what was coming. They stood no chance against a highly trained western army- even on 'home' ground.

The Argentine Skyhawks pilots were the bravest men I have ever seen, pressing home low level bombing runs, against a wall of all kinds of enemy fire, on the very edge of their planes endurance.
A mate shoot one down with an Oeriliken anti-aircraft gun, but, he always said that he killed a plane, never the pilot.

-

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Indeed - it's all about declaring war. We declared war against Nazi Germany in 1939 - we never declared war against the Argies or indeed Saddam.

The taking of South Georgia was the first step to taking all the islands - a conflict as a whole that took nearly 1000 lives ( 910 ish officially recognised - nearly 80 that aren't including civilians and special forces ).

EDIT - and there were two deaths during the taking of South Georgia by the Argentinian forces.

As for Thatcher - I'm a supporter so I really don't know what you're going on about. That said, she was foolish removing the protection ship for the Falklands but then absolutely correct re-taking the islands by force ( including the sinking of the Belgrano ).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declarations_of_war_during_World_War_II

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The Argies had attempted to invade a few of years earlier, when David Owen was Foriegn Seceratary, and Jim Callaghan was PM.

We sent a hunter/killer nuclear submarine (HMS Superb, I think)down south, told the Argentine high command what we had done, they then lost all enthusiasm for the Malvinas, and re-called their fleet, drama over.

And, most importantly, no casualties.

I remember the Argentinian build up to the invasion being reported at the time, but those in power completely failed to do anything to stop it. In fact, there was talk at the time that certain indications had been made that we wouldn't defend it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Left the mob the year before,but was on the Reserves and was notified.My next door neighbour at the time was 60,but he got called up as he was an X-trade technician on Rapier missile radars.He never went down to the Falklands,fortunately-his poor wife was bricking it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A friend in RN uniform was asked, outside HMS Nelson , how he felt about the sinking of the Shiny Sheffield, the day after by a TV crew.
The T.V crew had to be rescued by the gate staff, as my mate was a little strident in his views

What an absolutely crazy question to ask. How did the tv crew expect him to react?, with a cheer?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here