Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

86 Points will be enough

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As it will take Huddersfield at least 4 matches to reach 86 points and we also play 4 matches in that time, winning at least one of our next four would mean that, if it does turn out that 86 points is enough, we will only discover that sometime after we have already achieved it.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Based on the principle that over the season the top teams average 2 points a game it is quite possible that Huddersfield will end on 91 and us on 95.

Our average is 2.075 and Huddersfield's is 1.89. I wouldn't take 92 points if it was put on the table, and 95 could be threatened by a form swing to above or below average.

The fat lady is getting out of the bath.

WTF, I would. 92 points for us would mean Huddersfield have to win 6 and draw 1 of the 7 games they have left to play. They have won 3 of their last 7.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Be glorious to win the next 4 to seal it and not have to think about it any more.......then go all out in the last 2 for the title with no pressure.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
As it will take Huddersfield at least 4 matches to reach 86 points and we also play 4 matches in that time, winning at least one of our next four would mean that, if it does turn out that 86 points is enough, we will only discover that sometime after we have already achieved it.
Why? Huddersfield could lose the next four games.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Huddersfield have shown throughout the season they are, like us, a very good side, recent results have been their blip. Although improbable, they are capable of a six game winning run. We need to keep winning.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Why? Huddersfield could lose the next four games.

Sent from my P9000 using Tapatalk

The point was that I would hope we had reached or surpassed 86 before it is mathematically possible for them to reach it or blow it. We need 3 points. It could happen today for us, but the earliest we could find out it was definitely enough would be 22 April.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That's because they now have Rowett as manager.

Indeed. Revised my spreadsheet to use most recent 5 as the form guide. We're that late in the season, and with enough variation in form, that it makes sense to use the shorter period.

I'm now comparing us vs Hudds and us vs Newcastle for the run home.

Both Hudds and Newcastle, on full-season results, have harder opponents than us remaining:

(Average season ppg for remaining opponents)
Newcastle - 1.43ppg
Huddersfield - 1.40ppg
Brighton - 1.23ppg

But when you look at last 5 games form, it gets topped on its head:

(Average last-5 ppg for remaining opponents)
Brighton - 1.76ppg
Huddersfield - 1.60ppg
Newcastle - 1.13ppg

On paper, the tough games for each team look like:

Brighton - Wolves (A), Villa (A).
Huddersfield - Derby (A), Wolves (A)
Newcastle - Cardiff (A)

I think Huddersfield aren't going to put us under any pressure from here. They'll drop points somewhere, and we should easily pick up the points we need to see them off.

The juicy thing to watch now is the title chase. At the moment, the advantage is ours, but to me it looks like Newcastle have the easier games remaining. 3 at home, and generally against opponents who aren't hitting peak form (Preston and Cardiff with 8 points from 5, compared to us having Wolves with 12, Bristol with 9, and Villa with a chunky 13).

Be prepared for a rollercoaster ride over 5 games, I reckon - prospects are good for lead position to change a couple more times before we get to the end. Villa on the last day could be the title decided, and looks like it'll be tough to negotiate.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On paper, the tough games for each team look like:

Brighton - Wolves (A), Villa (A).
Huddersfield - Derby (A), Wolves (A)
Newcastle - Cardiff (A)
You're not counting Norwich away as a tough game for us?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Any away game is tough unless you are playing Rotherham.

So Newcastle at Ipswich won't be easy either. That could very easily end in a draw.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, now we've got 86 points, do I think it's enough? To be honest, no, not really - I certainly wouldn't want to risk losing our last five games in the hope of hanging on to 2nd. spot.
Two wins and a draw mathematically guarantees promotion; could be less as Huddersfield drop points (if they do) - but right now, no, I'm definitely not settling for 86 points!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You're not counting Norwich away as a tough game for us?

Not yet. They're blowing so hot and cold it'll depend on which Norwich shows up. Also note that I said "on paper" - I've deliberately only looked at some stats to draw up that post. Excel doesn't do subjective :laugh:.

Norwich has the potential to be the toughest game remaining (other than Villa). But they could equally be a pushover. I'm also a little worried about Bristol City. On paper, we should walk it - we're at home, they're in a relegation battle. But they've also been showing some good fight without getting the results, and I think they're likely to get a result or two before the end.

My opinion, though, I think Newcastle's run in could be tougher than it looks. Despite most of their opponents not being at peak performance, they pretty much all have the potential to take points away from Newcastle - there's no walkovers in there. Ipswich are their easiest game on paper, at a 1.20ppg for the season and just 1.00ppg over the last 5, however they're still a threat.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Bear in mind that Newcastle's home record is 13W 2D 5L so it is not like they are quaranteed to win all their home games.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Well, now we've got 86 points, do I think it's enough? To be honest, no, not really - I certainly wouldn't want to risk losing our last five games in the hope of hanging on to 2nd. spot.
Two wins and a draw mathematically guarantees promotion; could be less as Huddersfield drop points (if they do) - but right now, no, I'm definitely not settling for 86 points!

No, and I don't think Chris and the team will be thinking 86 is enough either. Sure they'll be playing them all like it's a cup final. Exciting stuff this. Friday night was buzzing, I won't be at Wolves but can't wait to be back at the Amex.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Interesting point though - thread was only started 5 weeks ago, and we've got that 86 with 5 games left. Incredible really.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Yes, two wins and a draw mathematically seals it. But two wins is all we need in the real world, unless the world gets turned upside down.

I know it's mathematically possible for Hudds to beat us on GD, but it's not realistic. We're 30 to the good on them, with 11 games to play between us. Worst case scenario is that we lose all 5, and Hudds win 4 and lose 2 (because draws don't help them). If we lost all five by a score of 3-0 our GD would drop from +34 to +19. Hudds then need to gain 16; if their two losses are 1-0, that makes 18 needed from the 4 wins (two 5-0 and two 4-0).

The other worst case is Hudds win all 6 of their remaining games, while we win 2 and lose 3. Assume the two we win are 1-0, and the three we lose are 5-0. That leaves us with a 21 GD at season end. Hudds, from their 6 games, would need to gain 18 goals - so 3-0 for all six games.

Is it mathematically possible for Hudds to overtake our GD? Yes. Is it plausible for Hudds to even get close to our GD? No way.

GD is not going to be relevant in deciding who gets auto, other than if Hudds can tie either us or Newcastle then Hudds will miss out on GD same as we did last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here