Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the right age to let your children listen to swearing in music/films?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've kept the kids away from swearing, but things like Spotify and YouTube make that tricky. My kids are pretty good at stopping watching things that they notice have swearing in, but I feel like telling them they don't have to any more.

It also means not letting them see threads on here, because you're are all potty mouthed w@nkers.

So, at what age is it ok to just let them listen to all music, watch all YT, and read the depraved NSC?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I once heard a discussion on swearing a long while ago, and one of the learned quoted "The reason why people swear is because they're not bright enough to think of a word to use, so use a swear word as the default." By preaching this philosophy to kids may make them think what they say? It may lower their opinion of swearers? So they may hear swearing, but won't swear themselves?
I told these words of wisdom to a friend of mine years ago and his response was "What a load of f****** b*******, which seemed to prove my point!

D

Deleted member 2719

Difficult one i have the same issues, i went to play my skunk anansie CD in the car the other day with my 10 year old sat next to me and thought this may not be a good idea!

My dad once heard me swear at home in my early teens, it never happened at home again.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I once heard a discussion on swearing a long while ago, and one of the learned quoted "The reason why people swear is because they're not bright enough to think of a word to use, so use a swear word as the default." By preaching this philosophy to kids may make them think what they say? It may lower their opinion of swearers? So they may hear swearing, but won't swear themselves?
I told these words of wisdom to a friend of mine years ago and his response was "What a load of f****** b*******, which seemed to prove my point!
Unfortunately for that theory, it has been shown by several studies that people who swear tend to be brighter than those who don't. Most recently a study by Marist College in NY found that "speakers who use taboo words understand their general expressive content as well as nuanced distinctions that must be drawn to use slurs appropriately. The ability to make nuanced distinctions indicates the presence of more rather than less linguistic knowledge, as implied by the POV [Poverty of Vocabulary] view."
Obviously there is not a 100% direct correlation, some swearers are properly stupid c**nts...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We worked on about 9 years old but with VERY strict instructions that if we ever caught them using swear words then they would be in deep s**t ( although we used the word poo ).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just play them Derek and Clive that should solve the problem given that they will know every swear word and be overdosed on them so will effectively not hear them in the future.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My 9 year old hears swear words and tells me when she does as she doesn't like it. My 12 year old comes to football with me and has done since he was 4 so has heard more than his fair share of swear words. he knows not to repeat things he hears in front of his mother.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When my kids were growing up, I was more concerned about violence in films than swearing, as they heard swear words at school. My daughter was only 4 when I heard her swearing, repeating something she'd heard her 7 year old brother say. Obviously, I had a word in his shell like, which seemed to have a good effect.

I've kept the kids away from swearing, but things like Spotify and YouTube make that tricky. My kids are pretty good at stopping watching things that they notice have swearing in, but I feel like telling them they don't have to any more.

It also means not letting them see threads on here, because you're are all potty mouthed w@nkers.

So, at what age is it ok to just let them listen to all music, watch all YT, and read the depraved NSC?

24 years

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's pretty pointless, IMO. Once they get to school they hear all the bad language under the sun.

After a somewhat rowdy evening in a pub somewhere (I can't remember exactly where), my daughter (old enough to buy her own drinks) did tell me that she thought she was too young to listen to my rendition of the limerick about the young lady from Bude who danced on the stage in the nude.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
After a somewhat rowdy evening in a pub somewhere (I can't remember exactly where), my daughter (old enough to buy her own drinks) did tell me that she thought she was too young to listen to my rendition of the limerick about the young lady from Bude who danced on the stage in the nude.

So the other limerick of "There was a young lady from Ealing ...." was way outside such boundaries?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you take them to football?
Yep. They didn't know anyone was swearing as they didn't recognise the words. They know now though. Although it's been several years before they realised there's a swear word in 'ooooooooooooo! Your shit, ahhhhhhh'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here