Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivalry if you come up..

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We certainly have more of a rivalry with Soton than pretty much every other Premier League club other than Palace.

Southampton are the blueprint of a premier league club we should be looking to emulate in my opinon.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
According to Millwall we are the "Stripey Nigels" i.e. blazer clad public schoolboys. :lolol:

You learnt the concept of bitter rivalry on the playing fields of Whitgift.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And Trinity. And Alleyn's. And (spit) Dulwich College. And St Dunstan's.

That makes us the 'Plastic Tarquins'. We only have the one public school. Well, actually two. No three... Oh, as you were.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
This. In spades.

Frankly I have no affection for anyone but ourselves (although I always pick a side in a meaningful game, and this month it has to be Leicester). But on the other hand, BHA have no rivals, in fact. The Palarse thing is just nonsense ('A23 Derby.... FFS'). How could we be rivals with northern (sic) chav scum? After all, I'm not rivals with my cat, or my bog brush, FFS. What about Crawley? Next! Have we ever even played them? Pompey were the rivals when I was a kid, but only in as much as instant coffee is a rival to tea. No, we are a club with no rivals. We treat everyone else with indifference. You have Portsmouth, I suppose. Other than that you're like us. Alone, doing your own thing. Albeit, we can both agree, the North can **** right off! :lolol:

That's a nonsense, you must be 60 years + to not think there's a rivalry between us and palace. Having said that my Dad is 65 and he's fully aware of the rivalry. I'm just trying to understand how any Brighton fan can say there's no rivalry. Of course there is. Maybe the wilderness years have diluted it for some people and they have forgotten?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals?
No. Not unless you get that physio **** back in charge.

It was a bit of fun in league1
It was, mostly because of the aforementioned ****.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Cheers.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The BHA - CP rivalry started before the Mullery period, just.

In February 1976, Peter Taylor was our manager, and CP visited for a midweek league game. They had arrogant Allison as manager and some dirty players. We won 2-0 in front of 33,000 even though both teams weren't favourites to be promoted from Division Three. Their fans, based in the South Stand, were bad losers letting off smoke bombs, with trouble outside the Goldstone from both legions. I remember the Chicken Run fans abusing winger Peter Taylor as he tried to get the ball for throw-ins.

The rivalry started from being two similarly matched teams and clubs, just an hour apart up the A23, competing in the same divisions, in an age of hooligan and antagonist/dirty players.

The Mullery - Venables spat took it to another level.

Yeah I remember looking back at the historic final tables from the 70's and 80's and we were neck and neck with palace for many years. I remember thinking no wonder a rivalry developed. Maybe it is because we lost our ground, sunk down the tables for a long time and people have forgotten. I haven't forgotten though and I'm sure there are many thousands of Brighton fans that haven't either

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
They do in border areas like Littlehampton (Albion), Bognor (Pompey) and the middle of West Sussex, but it has always been more one way than the other.

Yeah that's a good point, hadn't thought of that. I'm from East Sussex, maybe had I grown up nearer Chichester or over that way I could think differently now. We do have a large area of our fan base and maybe some people think differently to others

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Nothing manufactured about the BHA/Palarse rivalry. They hate us and the feeling is mutual, whatever the circumstances were back in the 70's, none of the events themselves were 'made up' so I disagree with the 'manufactured' tag. Or are teams supposed to follow some sort of application process to qualify as recognised rivals? Must be within 50 miles, catholic or protestant, red or blue...............?
I remember the Pompey and Stains games from the 70s, which were considered big games for both sets of fans, and there was a lot of rivalry/aggro etc but the whole Palarse thing is a different level. If we are in the PL next season the games against Palace will be epic for the fans and a real show of team rivalry for the PL audience. Bring on the scum! :albion2:

Too right, playing palace (hopefully) in the Premier league will ramp up 40 years of hate between the clubs to a whole other level. Will be epic. I doubt there will be any Brighton fans saying there's no rivalry if we play them next season

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

If they stay up, then we only have rival.

However, given our proximity and recent history, there's bound to be a bit of rivalry when we play, but let's not turn it into anything more than that.

I have no doubt you'll stay up, and I hope Bournemouth do too. Having 3 south coast clubs up there will be great. Do Portsmouth still have a football team.

As for Palace, I know we're rivals and I hope they lose every game just because I could do without that distraction next year. We seem to lose our heads around that fixture.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Too right, playing palace (hopefully) in the Premier league will ramp up 40 years of hate between the clubs to a whole other level. Will be epic. I doubt there will be any Brighton fans saying there's no rivalry if we play them next season

At the risk of sounding like a quinoa munching, loved up hippy, can we not have the "rivalry" without the "hate"? So 1980's, surely should be consigned to the dustbin.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
At the risk of sounding like a quinoa munching, loved up hippy, can we not have the "rivalry" without the "hate"? So 1980's, surely should be consigned to the dustbin.

Maybe hate is a strong word for today's world but I've been born and bred to dislike palace, there's no choice in the matter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We certainly have more of a rivalry with Soton than pretty much every other Premier League club other than Palace.

Southampton are the blueprint of a premier league club we should be looking to emulate in my opinon.

Go into Administration to clear £10m's of debts, cheating creditors including small traders, giving the club a collosal advantage over rival clubs with a debt free start. Enabling all income to invested into an Academy and on expensive player acquisitions.

That's how the modern Southampton model got going.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I think it will be tasty, similar to the previous encounters. bit more of an atmosphere, more hoolie bouncing and 'hold me back' gesturing so yes i'd like to go and do the double over them.

but Saints are nothing, just nothing on Palace.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Go into Administration to clear £10m's of debts, cheating creditors including small traders, giving the club a collosal advantage over rival clubs with a debt free start. Enabling all income to invested into an Academy and on expensive player acquisitions.

That's how the modern Southampton model got going.
Err, I thought the new owner settled the debts. Quite admirable.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
No, I wanted Southampton to fail under Adkins but that was to do with hating him not the club.

Palace and Portsmouth are our only real rivals on the pitch..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Err, I thought the new owner settled the debts. Quite admirable.

The Rupert Lowe Board set up a group structure which they had hoped would save the club from a ten point FL penalty, should another limited company in the group become insolvent (get off of debts). The Football League saw through this, and still invoked the penalty, when the club let the holding company go under. The creditors of the holding company lost all their claims.

The Liebherr family honoured the debts of the Football Club limited company.

The Albion do have a similar group structure, but the Knight and Bloom Boards always ensured all creditors are paid, with no cop-out Administrations!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Derbies are just local teams or geographical areas, whereas rivalries are different.

There was an edge with Southampton a few years ago, as said mainly to do with Adkins' graceless comments, but having a brick thrown at the supporters' coach, didn't help matters.

Yes - but by no stretch of the imagination is Bournemouth v Brighton a derby even geographically. Unless you're saying it's because it's on the south coast. In which case, Brighton v Plymouth is a derby too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here