Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivalry if you come up..

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

Always liked Saints as a club and although we had a year of rivalry in the league one season it was pretty harmless and certainly no malice. Be good if we can go up though as there are a fair few southern/London teams in the prem.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It has some potential to be fair, like others have said we didn't have a real rivalry with Palace until the 70's, but that was created and has endured for decades and its possible another rivalry could, in time.

I can certainly see Sky moving our games to the telly and bigging up the South Coast Derby, because thats what Sky do. I can also see various flashpoints happening, because we both have big fanbases and will both comfortably sell out our away allocations each time we play.

I recall the 3-0 defeat at St Mary's in what I think was their promotion season to the prem as one of the most intimidating atmospheres I have been in, certainly more than at Selhurst or Ninian.

If Palace were to go down then it would have a chance, but as thats unlikely now, we know that the Palace games will trump all.

But it doesn't take much to spark off a rivalry, our spat with Orient endured for many years after McLeish became a wanker, and if they'd kept up with us this past decade it could have developed into something a lot bigger

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not really, but I am worried about Sky manufacturing some imaginary South coast derby with you or Bompey for the sake of television, or other tedious people using the term the "m23 derby".

This. The 'south coast derby' tag is largely pointless. There are only two worthy of the name - primarily Southampton v Portsmouth with Brighton v Portsmouth next on the list. I suppose Saints-Bournemouth will grow in importance the longer they stay in the Premier League (i.e. until Eddie Howe leaves).

I can understand why the 'south coast' derby label was popular with TV companies back when regional coverage existed properly, as the chance to show 2 teams from the same area was never going to be passed up. But quite why that's been taken on nationally I've never understood. Always point out to people that I could be most of the way to Birmingham in the time it takes to get to Bournemouth. But I'm sure some TV exec will get over-excited IF we get promoted and get the cameras off to Dean Court for the 'BIG' Bournemouth v Brighton 'derby'...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah I dislike Southampton and Hampshire, I'll be your rival Bowers.

:rave:

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I dont think its completely black and white

Obviously Palace are THE rival scoring 10/10 on the hateometer
then from there Pompey would get 9/10 but we'll never play them again :)
and Saints probably next up with a few London clubs & Leeds at about 8/10 ish

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
I've only been going since early 80's but I don't see how anyone can say Palarse are not our rivals. Have you not noticed the big events e.g. Ryan's leg or the songs we sing?

Also who says your nearest club is your biggest rival? Man U Liverpool for example...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
some of you obviously weren't at the Saints games in the late 70's or the 6th round FA Cup game at the Goldstone:whistle:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Not really, but I am worried about Sky manufacturing some imaginary South coast derby with you or Bompey for the sake of television, or other tedious people using the term the "m23 derby".

This is exactly my fear.

Games we'll be on tv for apart from the big boys should we go up:

Palace home and away "M23 Derby" - cue shots of motorways, eagles and seagulls etc

Saints away - trying to make a rivalry where there isn't one

Bournemouth home and away - two plucky teams punching above their weight

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Obviously Palace are our only real rivals but agree there was a bit more of an edge to the games when we were in League 1 and the championship . I think it was mainly due to Adkins saying whether we could keep up .

D

Deleted member 2719

Let's all narrow our rivalry down to one team.............................. Palarse!

Come on lads and lasses wouldn't football be a bit boring if we only had one rival.

Pompey and Saints are always teams we want to play home and away, i can not see that every changing.

I personally love all the banter prior to a match and after a match with one of the others down the M27.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
some of you obviously weren't at the Saints games in the late 70's or the 6th round FA Cup game at the Goldstone:whistle:

I was. Saints STILL do not register on the rivals list. Did you go to the last game at the Dell where we were the opposition? Was just a big love in that day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the best thing about playing Southampton in the Prem is that Bournemouth are there too. And Portsmouth aren't.

It is lovely to see the cheats in their tin pot 400 year old "stadium" languishing miles behind everybody else, especially with them being the Man United of the south.

That said, it would also be lovely if we got the chance to relegate Bournemouth (or ideally, Palace) next season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Will be good games against you if we came up.

There is no real rivalry there but as its south coast supporters most fans can relate to each other and being in the same TV region adds something to it.

It would feel better than your average game going into it but not a rivalry no.

As much as we hate Pompey and people point to a rivalry years ago. Did Pompey even know about this ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As much as we hate Pompey and people point to a rivalry years ago. Did Pompey even know about this ?
They do in border areas like Littlehampton (Albion), Bognor (Pompey) and the middle of West Sussex, but it has always been more one way than the other.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

Yeah it's purely the Adkins thing for me - and since then I've been so impressed with the way Saints have continuously improved (until this season) despite the slings and arrows of modern football that there's not a great deal for me to dislike. Plus I suppose in my formative years I was enamoured with Le Tiss and that may have stuck. Plus it's impossible to dislike Benali.

So for me there would have to be a 'flare' or Adkins-esque catalyst for any minor-level rivalry to commence, or I will continue to wish you well.

Obviously I hate the #twats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. The 'south coast derby' tag is largely pointless. There are only two worthy of the name - primarily Southampton v Portsmouth with Brighton v Portsmouth next on the list. I suppose Saints-Bournemouth will grow in importance the longer they stay in the Premier League (i.e. until Eddie Howe leaves).

I can understand why the 'south coast' derby label was popular with TV companies back when regional coverage existed properly, as the chance to show 2 teams from the same area was never going to be passed up. But quite why that's been taken on nationally I've never understood. Always point out to people that I could be most of the way to Birmingham in the time it takes to get to Bournemouth. But I'm sure some TV exec will get over-excited IF we get promoted and get the cameras off to Dean Court for the 'BIG' Bournemouth v Brighton 'derby'...

Derbies are just local teams or geographical areas, whereas rivalries are different.

There was an edge with Southampton a few years ago, as said mainly to do with Adkins' graceless comments, but having a brick thrown at the supporters' coach, didn't help matters.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Nothing manufactured about the BHA/Palarse rivalry. They hate us and the feeling is mutual, whatever the circumstances were back in the 70's, none of the events themselves were 'made up' so I disagree with the 'manufactured' tag. Or are teams supposed to follow some sort of application process to qualify as recognised rivals? Must be within 50 miles, catholic or protestant, red or blue...............?
I remember the Pompey and Stains games from the 70s, which were considered big games for both sets of fans, and there was a lot of rivalry/aggro etc but the whole Palarse thing is a different level. If we are in the PL next season the games against Palace will be epic for the fans and a real show of team rivalry for the PL audience. Bring on the scum! :albion2:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When you get Adkins back, then you can re-apply for "rival" status. He is just pure comedy gold.

But until you get him back - NO!! You can't be our rival. We already have one.

Thank you for your application; it has now been recycled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here