Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivalry if you come up..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I consider Brighton hopefully being promoted to the premier league as something of a southern revival against a long standing northern dominance of the top league. I wish Southampton all the best. Us, Bournemouth and Southampton all in the top league is a bit of a shift from many decades. Obviously I don't include palarse in that equation, they are south London chavs, not a true representation of the best of Southern England.

Yes but the palace fanbase is mostly in North Sussex and Surrey possibly....Maybe they should move out:D

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
1978 and the 1986 FA cup quarter final when they had the whole of the East stand are painful memories.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Be loads of good games if we go up including saints, would have been good to have them us and Bmuff in the prem and Pompey in league2 but it looks like they will be in the dizzy heights of league 1

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I disliked Southampton a fair amount in that one season, but not bothered at all by them now. Actually admire them for the way they've reacclimatised and retaken their natural position as an established mid-table Prem side despite losing some really influential players and managers along the way.
They're not a rival in that sense, but I still haven't (and won't) forgive and forget April 1978.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Yeh, I think that about sums it up, The S*n put in quite a lot of work to big it up too, to be fair. But I can also remember a time when Palarse didn't really matter at all - they were just another 3rd. division (S) team. But I guess for those who've been brought up with it, it is genuine enough - I suppose it just matters more to some than to others.

Yeah I was born in 75 so I don't really remember anything pre 80's. However I know that before early/mid 70's Palace weren't rivals, Luton were at one point. But the since the 70's it's been an intense rivalry, maybe not so much in the wilderness years but it's as an intense rivalry as many clubs have for a certain age group

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
* - Although we still haven't forgiven you or Tottenham.

This. In spades.

Frankly I have no affection for anyone but ourselves (although I always pick a side in a meaningful game, and this month it has to be Leicester). But on the other hand, BHA have no rivals, in fact. The Palarse thing is just nonsense ('A23 Derby.... FFS'). How could we be rivals with northern (sic) chav scum? After all, I'm not rivals with my cat, or my bog brush, FFS. What about Crawley? Next! Have we ever even played them? Pompey were the rivals when I was a kid, but only in as much as instant coffee is a rival to tea. No, we are a club with no rivals. We treat everyone else with indifference. You have Portsmouth, I suppose. Other than that you're like us. Alone, doing your own thing. Albeit, we can both agree, the North can **** right off! :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This. In spades.

Frankly I have no affection for anyone but ourselves (although I always pick a side in a meaningful game, and this month it has to be Leicester). But on the other hand, BHA have no rivals, in fact. The Palarse thing is just nonsense ('A23 Derby.... FFS'). How could we be rivals with northern (sic) chav scum? After all, I'm not rivals with my cat, or my bog brush, FFS. What about Crawley? Next! Have we ever even played them? Pompey were the rivals when I was a kid, but only in as much as instant coffee is a rival to tea. No, we are a club with no rivals. We treat everyone else with indifference. You have Portsmouth, I suppose. Other than that you're like us. Alone, doing your own thing. Albeit, we can both agree, the North can **** right off! :lolol:

Me and my bog brush are rivals. I don't 'alf make it eat shit.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, don't see you as rivals but do see you as an historic event (First game at the Dell).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Palarse aren't real rivals at all in my book, it was all manufactured back in the 1970's. Surely our real rivals, geographically speaking, have to be Pompey. It's been a good many years since our paths have crossed though.

It's bad enough listening to this shit from random football fans, let alone our own. The palace hatred developed entirely organically, there was nothing 'manufactured' about it.

It has lived on for decades and passed on down a few generations already and isn't going away any time soon, if ever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Palarse aren't real rivals at all in my book, it was all manufactured back in the 1970's. Surely our real rivals, geographically speaking, have to be Pompey. It's been a good many years since our paths have crossed though.

It wasn't manufactured as it did happen without anyone bigging it up, but the oldies will remember Pompey being rivals way back when, etc. 50s & 60s. Of course, we were secondary to Southampton to them.
The press love to talk up 'local' derbies, even when there are hundreds of miles distance. I even read about a seaside Derby when we played Blackpool, for heavens sake.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It's bad enough listening to this shit from random football fans, let alone our own. The palace hatred developed entirely organically, there was nothing 'manufactured' about it.

It has lived on for decades and passed on down a few generations already and isn't going away any time soon, if ever.

To suggest It developed organically is nonsense. It developed, purely and simply through Mullery and Venables and their dislike for each other. They fanned the flames and Palace fans, desperate to get away from Millwall, jumped at the opportunity to tackle our rather less formidable set of supporters. Young BHA fans seeing other rivalries around and also desperate for a focus, also jumped at the chance.
It was pure chance that the rivalry developed in the first place. Had we not shared the same divisions and ambitions as Palace for 3-4 seasons and the Mullery/Venables scenario had not happened, we would not be rivals today. There are something like 14 league clubs closer to Palace than us. They are a London club, surrounded by chimney pots and we are nearly 50 miles away and back onto the sea.
We could easily have developed another rivalry, equally as fierce, which could also have lasted, given different circumstances. ( Gillingham or even Reading ) There was nothing organic in our rivalry with Palace. It was manufactured. It wasn't a natural fit. It was not a rivalry created out of proximity or County animosity ( e.g Ipswich/Norwich )
But as fans have said, many have known nothing else, so it is here to stay and will perpetuate, as older fans, who don't sit comfortably with it, dwindle away.

This. In spades.

How could we be rivals with northern (sic) chav scum? After all, I'm not rivals with my cat, or my bog brush, FFS.

I ABSOLUTELY DETEST my cat!!

We've had a few run-ins in recent years.
Every time we meet it tries to start a fight.
My wife has spent a fortune on it (we almost lost our house in 2010 because of the money spent on it) and it has this undeserved feeling of entitlement.
It has no morals. It even did a poo on our bathroom floor and my wife blamed our dog.
It has achieved nothing of any significance in its whole sorry existence.

F.E.L.I.N.E.
Crappy cat has got renal failure
(OK, I know that last line doesn't rhyme, but it's a horrible disease and I feel better when I sing it)
With a nik nak paddywhack give a dog a bone
Crappy cat can naff off and run under a bus for all I care. (Again, I know it doesn't rhyme, it's all about the message).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The BHA - CP rivalry started before the Mullery period, just.

In February 1976, Peter Taylor was our manager, and CP visited for a midweek league game. They had arrogant Allison as manager and some dirty players. We won 2-0 in front of 33,000 even though both teams weren't favourites to be promoted from Division Three. Their fans, based in the South Stand, were bad losers letting off smoke bombs, with trouble outside the Goldstone from both legions. I remember the Chicken Run fans abusing winger Peter Taylor as he tried to get the ball for throw-ins.

The rivalry started from being two similarly matched teams and clubs, just an hour apart up the A23, competing in the same divisions, in an age of hooligan and antagonist/dirty players.

The Mullery - Venables spat took it to another level.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Don't get the 'oldies' comment above. I'm 56 tomorrow and Portsmouth was just a local game and whilst I hate that tinpot club, Saints are their only true rival.

Palace on the other hand are different. This rivalry happened very naturally and they are our rivals and will be for generations.

So to answer your question Bowers, I will look forward to the Saints games next season (IF we make it!), but them lot up the road are the real games for us.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

I hate Portsmouth way more than you!!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Portsmouth was our rivals when I started following the Albion they turned over cars near the exchange pub they were nasty bunch of fans the palace Rivalry started at a pre season friendly the crowd was small and Palace ran riot in the north stañd can't remeber the date then the tit fo tat clashes started also the FA cup game replay against Palace at Stanford-bridge helped to fuel the bad feelings and it didn't help the bad tackle on Gerry Ryan added to the bad feelings.
The REMF has done some great work to defuse the situation but my worry is we could see it resurfacing in the premership which would be very sad if it leads to violence. We moved on Now and built a more friendly club I hope.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
No. but stains are a horrible club with horrible fans, impossible to have a conversation with them about football, they think they are some top team that the whole football worldshould be watching and praising. Plus they are match fixers. But a rivalry? No. just a nasty hated club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here