Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivalry if you come up..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Palarse aren't real rivals at all in my book, it was all manufactured back in the 1970's. Surely our real rivals, geographically speaking, have to be Pompey. It's been a good many years since our paths have crossed though.
Why do you keep saying this when geographically speaking Portsmouth is further than Palace from Brighton and is only nearer in the West part of West Sussex. I'm guessing you aren't from Brighton or East Sussex.

Edit: we've also played Palace way more times than Portsmouth.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Palarse aren't real rivals at all in my book, it was all manufactured back in the 1970's. Surely our real rivals, geographically speaking, have to be Pompey. It's been a good many years since our paths have crossed though.

Manufactured? It came about in the '70's true but it's a genuine rivalry. I've grown up with it. The sort of Indoctrination that happens when it's drummed into you from a young age. I really don't like crystal palace, it's genuine. Maybe you're significantly older and it doesn't seem to make as much sense?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With Portsmouth off on horizon I guess the Southampton chant is 'No-one hates us, no-one hates us- wish they would'.

Mind you, I still haven't forgiven 1978....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldent consider you a rival as such.

What I meant was we would say we have more of a 'rivalry' with you, than we do Bournemouth.
Purely because of league 1 and the famous Adkins comments. I don't hate Brighton, but there's always a good atmosphere when we play each other.

I spend way too much time on this forum to hate you lot
Well I know what you meant and I make you right. Of course Albion V Saints isn't THE rivalry for either of us. In our case, we probably see Pompey more of a secondary rival than you, but I don't understand this desperate need from some football fans to insist all games outside your main big one to be totally insignificant. Clearly that is bollocks. Southampton will be a bigish game for us, and I suspect you'll feel the same because let's face it, Bournemouth have always been an irrelevance in these parts - let them have some sort of rivalry with Reading.

I'm looking forward to beating Southampton, personally.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

Nope. Our rivals are Palace and yours are Pompey. Couldn't care less about Southampton.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am utterly indifferent to Southampton. Trying to get a rivalry going with them would be like doing so with, say, Ipswich. Completely pointless. Sorry, but Palace beat you to it by approximately half a century. Still, nice ground and look forward to visiting some day.

Err, soon. Soon.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Good evening from a 'Stains' fan

So, if you do manage to come up this season ( fingers crossed )
Do you consider us and you to be rivals? After our south cost not a derby yesterday, me and a few friends had the discussion about us having more of a rivalry with you.
To some extent, I agree.
It was a bit of fun in league1 and the championship, always seemed to be a bit more to it then any other game.

Anyway, good luck for the remaineder of the season.
Hopefully see you next season ( we have to stay up as well yet ) :down::shrug:

Piss off bitch, or I'll claw your eyes out.

They're OURS!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I've always liked Soton from the days of 'Elbows' Shearer & Le Tissier onwards, they are a club which seem to do it the 'right' way. If our academy can produce the goods in the same way as yours, then we are on our way....

Palace are the scum who are our rivals though.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I've always liked Soton from the days of 'Elbows' Shearer & Le Tissier onwards, they are a club which seem to do it the 'right' way. If our academy can produce the goods in the same way as yours, then we are on our way....

Palace are the scum who are our rivals though.

We're on our way, we're on our way. The rise and rise of the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion is inevitable

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

Speak for yourself! Palace will always be our rivals in my book! You talk about it being "manufactured" in the 70's, but it has grown much deeper than that with a lot of fans. The 70's were 35-40 years ago and the rivalry with many fans on both sides won't be changing any time soon! It's more patomime these day's and makes each season a lot more interesting for both sets of supporters!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I disliked Southampton a fair amount in that one season, but not bothered at all by them now. Actually admire them for the way they've reacclimatised and retaken their natural position as an established mid-table Prem side despite losing some really influential players and managers along the way.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Always good to beat Sotonbut no real rivalry. I dislike other teams more e.g. Reading. Palarse are our only Derby in my book.

And who's this Pompey club people keep talking about?????

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Manufactured in the 70's....Well many big rivalries actually started in the 60's anyway.
Saints will be a big game and always is and to be fair every club has numerous rivalries but our arch rivals will always be palace.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Go and wash your mouth out.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Don't see Saints as rivals however if we are in the same league next year it does make life interesting living amongst them! Also I will be able to get to a game in under 20 mins from leaving my house!

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I consider Brighton hopefully being promoted to the premier league as something of a southern revival against a long standing northern dominance of the top league. I wish Southampton all the best. Us, Bournemouth and Southampton all in the top league is a bit of a shift from many decades. Obviously I don't include palarse in that equation, they are south London chavs, not a true representation of the best of Southern England.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Manufactured? It came about in the '70's true but it's a genuine rivalry. I've grown up with it. The sort of Indoctrination that happens when it's drummed into you from a young age. I really don't like crystal palace, it's genuine. Maybe you're significantly older and it doesn't seem to make as much sense?
Yeh, I think that about sums it up, The S*n put in quite a lot of work to big it up too, to be fair. But I can also remember a time when Palarse didn't really matter at all - they were just another 3rd. division (S) team. But I guess for those who've been brought up with it, it is genuine enough - I suppose it just matters more to some than to others.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nope. You are going to have to wait for Portsmouth to rise again. Just as many of us had to wait for Palace after only playing them 2/3 times in the league in about 20 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here