Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rivalry if you come up..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's a nonsense, you must be 60 years + to not think there's a rivalry between us and palace. Having said that my Dad is 65 and he's fully aware of the rivalry. I'm just trying to understand how any Brighton fan can say there's no rivalry. Of course there is. Maybe the wilderness years have diluted it for some people and they have forgotten?

I'm nearly 59, and grew up blissfully ignorant of Palarse. I even had a Shoot centrefold of the Palarse squad of 1970 on my bedroom wall (alongside a portrait of the mighty Peter Knowles, late of Wolves, who decided being a Jehova's Witness was better than playing for a div 1 side and getting more dosh and totty than you could wave a stick of celery at). Palarse were nothing to the Albion. Nothing. Trust me. It was nothing. Not anything. Get used to it. JCL. :lolol::kiss:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1) Crystal Palace
2) Portsmouth
3) Subjectively selected clubs that vary between supporters and very dependent on age.

There was a comprehensive survey back in 2002 that listed us and Palace as one of only, I think, eleven genuine two way rivalries.

I seem to remember Portsmouth regarded us as their alternative rivals too.

Seem to remember a beef with Oxford United at one time.

Edit: 2012/13 survey has Crystal Palace and us as a two way rivalry. Both Portsmouth and Southampton regard us their 'alternative' rival.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just out of interest, my wife has a colleague who works in security at Saints on Matchdays, in charge of Away fans security. He reported that the Bournemouth fans were terrible. Clearly orchestrated and "organised". They apparently trashed three pubs in Bedford Place after the match.

I have certain historical resentments about Southampton which go back to the Terry Paine et al era, and Adkins, of course, but I have never liked Bournemouth, so that would be bigger for me......

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I'm nearly 59, and grew up blissfully ignorant of Palarse. I even had a Shoot centrefold of the Palarse squad of 1970 on my bedroom wall (alongside a portrait of the mighty Peter Knowles, late of Wolves, who decided being a Jehova's Witness was better than playing for a div 1 side and getting more dosh and totty than you could wave a stick of celery at). Palarse were nothing to the Albion. Nothing. Trust me. It was nothing. Not anything. Get used to it. JCL. :lolol::kiss:

This is correct; until the Mullery / Malcolm Allison years matches between CP and BHA were no more intense than if we were playing Fulham. But obviously for anyone 40ish or younger that is an entire lifetime, and so I declare this a draw. Having said that when I occasionally find myself talking to a Palace fan I am deliberately as reasonable as possible which really annoys them as it makes them look a childish idiot.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Southampton mean nothing to me in terms of being a "rival". There was some antipathy during the "can you keep up with us" season, but that's about it. Having been an Albion fan since '74, Palace have been, are, and always will be, our biggest rivals to me. With a slight nod to Pompey just because every game against them back then used to generate lots of :catfight:

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
There was no rivalry with Palace if you were a certain type of supporter, probably someone who sat in the west stand & didn't get the train.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
1. Palarse caravan lovers.
2. #twats.
3. Luton. Horrible town, horrible fans. Wish the place was wiped out.

Southampton - meh. Bit of spice but generally a decent club with decent fans.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I consider the south coast to me a much more meaningful rivalry and I'd welcome PL games against Southampton, Bournemouth etc. Great little mini league.

The Palace games will be great but to have a few more grudge matches is nice. A complement to all the clubs south of London - often regarded as "not real clubs" by a few of a Northern friends.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

But it is to so many Brighton fans. I'm 41 and I can't imagine anything sweeter than beating palace in the top division

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Excuse me if I'm talking out of turn, but I thought every team fighting against us for success was a rival.

Addendum: I hate Palace.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
West Ham. Fecking hate West Ham with a passion. Nasty horrible club with nasty horrible fans.

We need London pompous to revive the crew and chase them out of our Olympic stadium that they stole from the nation.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Im sure Sky Sports would promote it was a 'south coast derby', the neutrals would probably believe it and over time if both clubs stayed in the Premier League, via Sky and BT drilling down everyones throat for a few years we might actually start believing it is a derby lol I always class Pompy as a derby and rival as the games are heated between the fans.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally it will be massive for me - my family is split down the middle between BHA and SFC, and my best mate is Saints too as I went to VI form in Winchester. I don't feel any animosity towards them at all, but love it when we beat them.

Regardless of my own circumstances, I still reckon Albion v Saints will have a bit more spice than most games in the Prem if we get promoted. We have a little bit of history with them down the years, some nasty, some quite pleasant - off the top of my head: 1978 when they CHEATED, 1982 when we beat them at the Dell to stop them going top, 1986 when Eric Young chaperoned Glen Cockerill into our 6 yard box to seal a FA Cup semi final place, the league one promotion season, last opponents at the Dell, first at St Marys(?). Also, we consider ourselves a very similar club to them these days - similar support, similar facilities (stadium and training) whereas they insist they are undeniable top dogs in the South. Not any more, boys - the south is OURS.

Bournemouth will also have a bit more spice actually, but that'll be far more from their end than ours. We've always considered them a bit too noddy whereas they just don't like us much, and despite having south coast geography, they are 100 miles away - a fact that will be lost to Sky Sports.

There can't be many on here looking forward to these two games LESS than say Stoke, West Brom or Swansea - surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here