Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Pub for a ploughmans lunch in West Sussex?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Well it's certainly true that many 'plough men' and agricultural workers used to eat bread and cheese for lunch, whilst out in the fields in times of yore.

But I agree that many modern day ploughman's lunches served up in pubs, are far fancier than that.

Exactly. My Dad was a farm worker and called his bread and cheese lunch "Jack and Harry", as in "I'll be in the top field with Jack and Harry" meaning that's where he'd be at lunchtime. Strangely, he would often finish his lunch with Opal Fruits or Fruitellas! You won't find THEM on your plate down the Dog and Duck!

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Jolly Sportsman at East Chiltington if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. Not quite West Sx, but worth a trip

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why go to a pub for it? Ploughmans has got to be the most idiot proof meal to prepare.

I tend to eat variations of it most days in the summer, its a lazy way to stay healthy as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why go to a pub for it? Ploughmans has got to be the most idiot proof meal to prepare.

I tend to eat variations of it most days in the summer, its a lazy way to stay healthy as well.

True enough, I often fancy some crusty bread and cheese for lunch when l'm at home, add a dollop of Branston and a pickled onion or two, and Bob's your auntie.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

I agree, and would only put it on a menu under duress, but I'm not too sure if it's particularly healthy, sorry!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I agree, and would only put it on a menu under duress, but I'm not too sure if it's particularly healthy, sorry!

Its over 50percent salad with pickles, cheese and bread. Bet it ranks healthy compared to KFC etc

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
The food has gone downhill in recent years. Sadly the queues are a cost of it being in a nice location and it being popular. used to be there regularly and could get a spot easily, but even the parking is impossible nowadays.

AFAIK that's currently closed, but will be opening again soon (New owner). My sister knows them so i'll find out when etc. Tis a solid shout though as it's a lovely pub.

EDIT: Apparently it may be open around the 14th of the month, but that's not confirmed nor definite. I'll be checking it out when it is,'tis only a few mins drive from my current base.

Drove past the pub today, looked open, plenty of people outside supping.
Added to the list to try next time it's sunny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here