Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
His attitude considering the debacle in the summer is superb. Whether he stays or goes (I suspect it will be the latter) he has been a fantastic player for us

Id agree with that. He has knuckled down and got on with playing his game. Solid and reliable week in week out.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Hope we can keep him. Once we're up it would be such a good first bit of business. Sadly he'll likely drag on and on waiting for the best deal. If he ends up being overpaid by a 'big' Champ club with us up in the Prem I'd be very disappointed in him. If he plays in the Prem though either for us or another side who pay more, you have to just accept it

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
His attitude considering the debacle in the summer is superb. Whether he stays or goes (I suspect it will be the latter) he has been a fantastic player for us

Yes that's impressed me. I mean he did fall out with the management in the summer, was denied a career changing move to a premier league club yet has knuckled down and given 100% every single game. He's now in a great position to negotiate for a lucrative premier league contract either with us if promoted or clubs like Burnley. He deserves it. Thanks Dale for being a great professional and hopefully helping us get over the line in the next few weeks

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My point was that he didnt need to be anymore than that. He played very much within his ability. Average by his high standards this season is good compared to others

This. He looked good yesterday but it is so incredibly easy for him. He is not putting it about like he did last season, and IMO he could be doing more. He is incredibly talented. Sadly I suspect there is no chance he'll be with us next season. Mind you, is Birmingham (Villa) really 'up North'? Why head south from Charlton if you're an inveterate Northerner? Anyway.....its not affecting the team so if this is one player we lose in the way we lost Murray some years ago, it will be soon forgotten if and when we ascend the golden escalator....

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Blimey you think us losing Murray was forgotten!

pandaking

Oct 2, 2012
Need to be hanging onto Stephens. He wanted to play premier league, well we can give it to him.

I only feel that unlike some of our players, he's not bonded with the town/fans in quite the same way. If we can get him fully settled and loving Brighton it will make it harder for him to leave.
If some of our foreign players from nice hot places such as Calde or Bruno can feel like home here, we must be able to make someone from up north want to stay...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We don't get bullied with him on the pitch, absolutely key and integral to potential promotion.

The best first signing we could make if we get over the line, along with Stockdale.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
We don't get bullied with him on the pitch, absolutely key and integral to potential promotion.

The best first signing we could make if we get over the line, along with Stockdale.

The chances of him joining Burnley are diminishing as we may not even be playing you next season. Brighton are 99% promoted while Burnley could well be reeled in by resurgent Hull and finish 18th. Stephens would NOT want Championship football with Burnley even he does fancy a move back up North.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The chances of him joining Burnley are diminishing as we may not even be playing you next season. Brighton are 99% promoted while Burnley could well be reeled in by resurgent Hull and finish 18th. Stephens would NOT want Championship football with Burnley even he does fancy a move back up North.

The irony of it.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
The irony of it.

But if we do manage to stay up, I think Stephens will be wearing Claret & Blue in August (either for us or Aston Villa).:)

DS would be an excellent long-term successor to our most important midfielder Dean Marney (aged 33).

His £5-7 million "signing on" bonus is burning a hole in our chairman's pocket.:)

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Even though Villa will still be a Championship team ?

Bigger wages and better location for Stephens

......plus a MASSIVE signing-on bonus, which I doubt Brighton would match because it could upset the rest of their promotion-winning squad.

If Stephens was prepared to sign a new deal now, would Bloom DOUBLE his current wages and also give Stephens the £7 million Burnley were prepared to pay last August?

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Need to be hanging onto Stephens. He wanted to play premier league, well we can give it to him.

I only feel that unlike some of our players, he's not bonded with the town/fans in quite the same way. If we can get him fully settled and loving Brighton it will make it harder for him to leave.
If some of our foreign players from nice hot places such as Calde or Bruno can feel like home here, we must be able to make someone from up north want to stay...

But if we do manage to stay up, I think Stephens will be wearing Claret & Blue in August (either for us or Aston Villa).:)

DS would be an excellent long-term successor to our most important midfielder Dean Marney (aged 33).

His £5 million "signing on" bonus is burning a hole in our chairman's pocket.:)

I'm pretty sure the rumour he wants to move back up North is a red herring. I think it's all about him wanting to play in the Premier League. Am also certain that he loves the players and people at the club, but the hierarchy annoyed him by not letting him move last summer. If we go up it'll just be a question of whether he's forgiven them for that and/or whether he gets a better offer from a(nother) Premier League club. Don't think the northern thing is the issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here