Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak out

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I seriously don't think it is OTT. Nobody has slagged the player off, they have just made points as to why he is just not good enough. I also accept those that think he is good enough. I just haven't seen a post that makes me think, Ok I was wrong.

As I said, I expect Solly to start Tue, so I'm not going to start pretending that Jiri was brilliant yesterday but, I will say, his work-rate in support of the team, especially in away games, and against the better teams, plus his set piece expertise, are an important contribution to our lofty league position... if you can't see that, then you are not really seeing the bigger picture of why he gets picked as often as he does...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is all a bit jumbled, which isn't a criticism, as I think it neatly explains the 'trouble with Jiri'.

Yesterday Jiri had:-

A shot parried away by the goalie
At least 2 corners land like tracer missiles on centre backs foreheads.
I believe there was a decent cross.
And defensively he was sound.
(in years gone by we'd have cut off bits of our body for the TEAM to generate that)

Yet here we are all a bit marmitey, which is odd considering his MotM performance v Derby.

For me Skalak needs a specific game/opposition to shine and that wasn't yesterday.
It'll be interesting to see how he fairs up a division, where you can argue beating players for pace is less likely across the division.

I think the key point is the penultimate one, and I agree wholeheartedly with it. I'm not saying jettison Skalak, as he does have desireable qualities that, against the right opposition, can prove very useful. That opposition wasn't yesterday, and I personally prefer the blend that our other wide left players offer in 95% of the games we'll play at this level because they offer more from open play.

I still don't think he's had a great season by the standards he set in the second half of last season though. And that is baring in mind he's started more games than both Murphy and March, and statistically, in terms of output at least, has offered the same amount. He also doesn't actually make any more defensive actions than the other two per game, which is interesting.

Personally I think he'll struggle if we step up. That isn't a criticism as I think about half of our players would struggle, but that wouldn't mean we couldn't stay up with players like Skalak as squad players.

I think it's healthy to debate or criticise, even though we won. On 55 minutes, much of the crowd were frustrated and concerned, due to iffy performance and the critical need for three home points. The pressure.

The subs, Murray and the win, brightened up everyone's weekend. Lots of smiling faces.

Next season - perhaps the Board will make astute signings this Summer? I'm sure you'd agree that they would already be drawing up player quality targets for the PL, the plan being that we don't become one season relegation fodder. I don't consider WBA, Stoke, Bournemouth, Southampton and Bournemouth to be bigger clubs than us, and if they can enjoy many PL wins, season after season, so can we.

Bravo - you've just proved you can be very upbeat about the prospects for the team while being honest about some shortcomings.

The incessant need for the happy clappys to police other fans in what they can or cannot say is very dull. Football is about being mindlessly optimistic AND letting off steam at the same time :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's been with us a little over a year and done a darn sight more than some of our other midfielders in that time, to-wit Forster-Caskey, Lua Lua and Ince. He has good games and bad games, like every other footballer ever, he works hard and he does what CH wants him to do, which is as much defensive as it is going forward. We fans tend to look only at a wingers attacking qualities, hence the same slagging off that Barnes used to get, and why we go potty for March, Buckley and Knockaert, but if the manager wants a more defensive minded player in there thats OK.

He's still young, he works hard and he is part of our promotion-winning squad - and he will always be part of our promotion-winning squad, and for that we should always remember him fondly. He isn't the best in there, but he's one of 20-odd players who as a squad are taking Brighton back to the top division and picking holes in one or two players from one or two bad games is what only a small minority of you guys are doing, whereas tens of thousands of others are simply enjoying the ride and enjoying the qualities displayed by this squad that we've put together.

I'm pretty sure Skalak will play a lot of games next year in the premier league and when we're under the cosh I reckon he'll become a lot more appreciated on here, for whatever that is worth

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can quite honestly say I DO NOT slag our players off. Please find me any comment where I have. I am more inclined to defend our players when they are slagged off. However, yesterday, I literally had enough of Skalak. He has no pace, he dives at any given opportunity, and in my honest opinion he adds nothing to the team. As I said previously, I probably, on reflection, should not have started this thread, or indeed, given a balanced view of why I think he's not a good player. But I was drunk, like a fair few on here no doubt. He is not the scapegoat, he is just clearly not good enough.

You started a thread titled 'Skalak out' and called him 'pants' in your OP. I'd hate to see you slagging players off if this isn't doing exactly that. He had a modest game yesterday (and even then could have scored and defended well) and agree he hasn't hit some of last season's highs (except, for example, against Derby - 2 games ago - when he was excellent).

He's played a decent part in one of the best-ever seasons, works hard and CH seems to have some faith in him.

Akpom, on the other hand, appears to be stealing a living..........

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I don't get the criticism yesterday. He wasn't brilliant, he wasn't awful. A few good set pieces, as that's why he's in the side as his delivery is premiership level.

singing4seagulls

Apr 2, 2017
He's been with us a little over a year and done a darn sight more than some of our other midfielders in that time, to-wit Forster-Caskey, Lua Lua and Ince. He has good games and bad games, like every other footballer ever, he works hard and he does what CH wants him to do, which is as much defensive as it is going forward. We fans tend to look only at a wingers attacking qualities, hence the same slagging off that Barnes used to get, and why we go potty for March, Buckley and Knockaert, but if the manager wants a more defensive minded player in there thats OK.

He's still young, he works hard and he is part of our promotion-winning squad - and he will always be part of our promotion-winning squad, and for that we should always remember him fondly. He isn't the best in there, but he's one of 20-odd players who as a squad are taking Brighton back to the top division and picking holes in one or two players from one or two bad games is what only a small minority of you guys are doing, whereas tens of thousands of others are simply enjoying the ride and enjoying the qualities displayed by this squad that we've put together.

I'm pretty sure Skalak will play a lot of games next year in the premier league and when we're under the cosh I reckon he'll become a lot more appreciated on here, for whatever that is worth

I'm not a big fan of Skalak, however that Derby game made me reassess him. Clearly against the right opposition he can offer something our other wingers can't.
I think you're spot on the money about the types players fans like, as you say Barnes was always slated but is doing a job in the PL.

I'm not a troll - i genuinely believe you're a complete cretin. We're 9 points clear and going to prem and you're wetting your pants about a player.

Im going to enjoy what's been an amazing season and hopefully the perfect end. UTA!

Yeh you're full of the joys of life, we can all tell

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry but showing again tonight how giving him a squad place is a utter mistake.

Simply not good enough for the premier league - tonight wasn't good enough for league 2!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sorry but showing again tonight how giving him a squad place is a utter mistake.

Simply not good enough for the premier league - tonight wasn't good enough for league 2!

I concur, like a broken pencil - pointless

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He is very negative when we have the ball. Most of the time he comes short, plays it backwards as soon as he receives it then spins away for five metres as if he might get a one-two.

Seems very unlikely that's what he was meant to be doing given how annoyed Hughton was with our lack of forward movement tonight.

I'll be surprised if we see him here beyond the transfer window closing.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
He was appalling tonight, I've always tried to stick up for him due to his crossing ability but from open play he is just dreadful. Was completely out of his depth against L2 opposition tonight, it would be a mistake to give him a place in the 25-man squad..

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm a fan of Skalak, but tonight was just plain awful. Never hid from the ball but did absolutely nothing with it when he got it. I think he either needs a loan move away to get some regular game time or just call it a day and try somewhere else. Shame, when he plays well he is a great asset, those days a few and far between though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here